Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Apr 20, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #3,061 of 4,593

Quote:
Wow, ljokerl, that's a thing of beauty there, a real tour de force. Thank you for that!

I haven't been on Head-Fi in ages, and recently decided I needed to upgrade my portable rig, which was ATH-ES7s--nice but not fantastic, fun but very colored. Based on your review, I just got myself the ATH-M50s, and so far, they're exactly what I was looking for as a cost-effective upgrade.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying your upgrade
beerchug.gif

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #3,062 of 4,593
Hi, I wonder if anyone could recommend me headphones for everyday use with signature similar to ath m50, but smaller and more portable? My source is iTouch 4g with fiio e11. I was thinking of fischer fa-004 or akg k450. Maybe some other headphones would you recommend?

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #3,063 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi, I wonder if anyone could recommend me headphones for everyday use with signature similar to ath m50, but smaller and more portable? My source is iTouch 4g with fiio e11. I was thinking of fischer fa-004 or akg k450. Maybe some other headphones would you recommend?

The FA-004 is a good option but I haven't heard the K450. Keep in mind that the FA-004, while portable, is not a small, folding, on-ear design like the K450.

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #3,064 of 4,593

Quote:

Audio Technica ATH WS55 or Aurvana Live if can live with poor isolation. 

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #3,065 of 4,593
Thanks. Isolation isn't priority I could buy even some open headphones. I listened to aurvana live! while ago, but I remember I didn't like them. I think I will try fa004 or ws55. Last thing how does ath sj11 compare to fa004 and ws55?

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #3,066 of 4,593
Do you have any plans to review the V-MODA LP-2 ?

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #3,067 of 4,593
Sir |Joker|, in your time listening with the CAL! did you ever experience a lot of pressure on the top of your head? I recently got these and the pressure I get on my head makes it hard to listen to for a period longer than 20 minutes. Would stretching out the headband be ok? or would the light build of the CAL! not be able to handle the stretch? Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #3,068 of 4,593

Quote:
Thanks. Isolation isn't priority I could buy even some open headphones. I listened to aurvana live! while ago, but I remember I didn't like them. I think I will try fa004 or ws55. Last thing how does ath sj11 compare to fa004 and ws55?

Hopefully someone else can chime in because I've never heard either of those ATHs.

Quote:
Do you have any plans to review the V-MODA LP-2 ?

Sorry, no.

Quote:
Sir |Joker|, in your time listening with the CAL! did you ever experience a lot of pressure on the top of your head? I recently got these and the pressure I get on my head makes it hard to listen to for a period longer than 20 minutes. Would stretching out the headband be ok? or would the light build of the CAL! not be able to handle the stretch? Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

No, I actually owned the CAL! for the better part of a year and used it as my primary home headphone and never had any issues. The headband on my K701 is less comfortable. I am sure the headband can be stretched but not so certain it will help. If the top of your head is sensitive perhaps supraaurals are best - they tend to distribute weight more evenly by propping themselves against your ears.

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #3,069 of 4,593
I cannot decide between portable headphones and EIMs. They are both portable. What is most important is sound quality for price: value. In the portable headphone arena, I think I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. Knowing that these will be used for general purpose (music off all sorts, movies, and games) but listened to by an analytical listener, are there a different pair of portable headphones that can be recommended? I can get the B&W P5 and Sennheiser HD25-1 II brand new for 160 bucks each. Which of these should I choose for that price?

Any recommendations for a solid all purpose EIM? 

I've considered sacrificing portability and some isolation for sound quality. A few models that have caught my eye are the AKG Q701 and Sennhesiher HD650. What can be said about these?

Thanks

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #3,070 of 4,593

Quote:
I cannot decide between portable headphones and EIMs. They are both portable。

+1, I'm also quite interested in your take on this Joker....

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #3,071 of 4,593
Wanted to offer my appreciation for this thread and ask a question. First off, you sent me into the world of audiophiles with your review of the CAL! ... I made the decision to make those my purchase and since then bought the V-Moda M-80s, the OldSkool 33 1/3 and also have purchased ATH-AD700 for gaming and UE Triple Fi for my IEMs (and Brainwavs Beta for $13 to have a couple throwaway pairs). Now, to my question!

Would you consider the Mix Masters worth half their price? I've a 50% off coupon for Skullcandy and am wondering as much. I've used their Ink'd buds, the Full Metal Jacket buds, the Lowriders and the Skullcrushers. They all sound horrible (at $8, $40-$60, $25, and $75, respectively), while the latter has a bit of novelty for about ten minutes or so with it's bass boost. Is the Mix Master an honest attempt at making good headphones or just a stylish cop-out like all their others? Because if they're a 7/10 value at $300, I'm wondering if I should jump on them at $150?

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #3,072 of 4,593

Quote:
I cannot decide between portable headphones and EIMs. They are both portable. What is most important is sound quality for price: value. In the portable headphone arena, I think I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. Knowing that these will be used for general purpose (music off all sorts, movies, and games) but listened to by an analytical listener, are there a different pair of portable headphones that can be recommended? I can get the B&W P5 and Sennheiser HD25-1 II brand new for 160 bucks each. Which of these should I choose for that price?

Any recommendations for a solid all purpose EIM? 

I've considered sacrificing portability and some isolation for sound quality. A few models that have caught my eye are the AKG Q701 and Sennhesiher HD650. What can be said about these?

Thanks

I think you need to decide on your application first - I would never go outside with the HD650 or K701 for a large number of reasons. Sacrificing isolation doesn't make sense unless you are in a quiet environment - you will lose your ability to appreciate any gains in sound quality very quickly in the presence of external noise. Portables and IEMs are more interchangeable but again you need to decide which one you want before looking for recommendations. Otherwise the question is simply too general to answer. Between the HD25 and P5 I clearly think the HD25 is the superior headphone, especially since you value clarity and detail.

Quote:
Wanted to offer my appreciation for this thread and ask a question. First off, you sent me into the world of audiophiles with your review of the CAL! ... I made the decision to make those my purchase and since then bought the V-Moda M-80s, the OldSkool 33 1/3 and also have purchased ATH-AD700 for gaming and UE Triple Fi for my IEMs (and Brainwavs Beta for $13 to have a couple throwaway pairs). Now, to my question!

Would you consider the Mix Masters worth half their price? I've a 50% off coupon for Skullcandy and am wondering as much. I've used their Ink'd buds, the Full Metal Jacket buds, the Lowriders and the Skullcrushers. They all sound horrible (at $8, $40-$60, $25, and $75, respectively), while the latter has a bit of novelty for about ten minutes or so with it's bass boost. Is the Mix Master an honest attempt at making good headphones or just a stylish cop-out like all their others? Because if they're a 7/10 value at $300, I'm wondering if I should jump on them at $150?

It seems like you already have a nice mix of headphones many of which (the M-80, CAL!, Oldskool 33, and TF10 ) are superior to the Mix Masters from a sound quality standpoint. The Mix Master is actually a good headphone and seems to be the best Skullcandy can currently do by a margin (I was not impressed by the Aviators at all). However, in consumer and audiophile applications it doesn't make much sense next to a CAL! or M-80 even at the same price point unless you would like to experience something that sounds extremely forward and aggressive.

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #3,073 of 4,593

Quote:

I think you need to decide on your application first - I would never go outside with the HD650 or K701 for a large number of reasons. Sacrificing isolation doesn't make sense unless you are in a quiet environment - you will lose your ability to appreciate any gains in sound quality very quickly in the presence of external noise. Portables and IEMs are more interchangeable but again you need to decide which one you want before looking for recommendations. Otherwise the question is simply too general to answer. Between the HD25 and P5 I clearly think the HD25 is the superior headphone, especially since you value clarity and detail.

It seems like you already have a nice mix of headphones many of which (the M-80, CAL!, Oldskool 33, and TF10 ) are superior to the Mix Masters from a sound quality standpoint. The Mix Master is actually a good headphone and seems to be the best Skullcandy can currently do by a margin (I was not impressed by the Aviators at all). However, in consumer and audiophile applications it doesn't make much sense next to a CAL! or M-80 even at the same price point unless you would like to experience something that sounds extremely forward and aggressive.

Ah, well, I can't really help it but I want to buy more and more headphones. It would just seem crazy to let the Mix Masters go at half the price if you'd be happy paying full price for them. If they truly are a bit punchier with more bass and the like, then they certainly have my applications. The girlie really likes my M-80, mostly because it sounds amazing when she plays some PC games. I think it's because of the punchiness to it. I was thinking the Mix Masters might be a good buy from me to her. It's not necessarily a question based on what I have - ie, not "should I get these based on what I have" more of "are these worth it at half the price?"

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #3,074 of 4,593

Quote:

Ah, well, I can't really help it but I want to buy more and more headphones. It would just seem crazy to let the Mix Masters go at half the price if you'd be happy paying full price for them. If they truly are a bit punchier with more bass and the like, then they certainly have my applications. The girlie really likes my M-80, mostly because it sounds amazing when she plays some PC games. I think it's because of the punchiness to it. I was thinking the Mix Masters might be a good buy from me to her. It's not necessarily a question based on what I have - ie, not "should I get these based on what I have" more of "are these worth it at half the price?"

"Happy" is not the word I would use - I am happier listening to a $200 HD25-1 - but then the Mix Masters aren't designed to appeal to me. The bass is plentiful, no doubt about that, but they don't have much of a soundstage for gaming. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back