Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Apr 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #3,091 of 4,593
You mention the Monoprice 8323 in the HTF-600 review a lot. Does this mean you might be reviewing it?
I've wondered if that really was identical in sound to the Kicker HP541. I hope not because that's the headphone i've hated the most.

As always, the offer of any of my KRKs to ljokerl for loaner review still stands. I don't know if they're good enough for portable use due to their weird headband design. Still smaller than the M50.

I have the KNS-6400 and 8400. I figure you're backed up for reviews until 2014.

I personally don't care about a review for them, but felt some might appreciate them. 8400 is the 2nd favorite portable/closed under $250 behind the DJ100/TB.

BTW I felt the HTF-600 was pretty good for $35. I prefer more upper mids and treble over more bass and low mids.It's soundstage was pretty nice for $30. With some EQ I could probably like it more.
It's in the trash because I messed it up with modding it
biggrin.gif
I still think I prefer the UR-55, DT-235 and Maxell DHP-II in the under $60 price range.

One headphone that's been on my radar is the Beyerdynamic DT-250. Heard it uses a special DT-770 driver
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #3,092 of 4,593

Quote:
Question about the ES7.
Now, I've owned these awhile back and I loved their sound, but you know how comfort is.
I was wondering if the Grado softies would fit these, either as a full replacement, or right over the top of the existing pads?
I hate pleather/leather/lambskin, and any trick around it without sacrificing sound is welcome.
I'd get them again if it did. There are some velour replacement pads being sold on Ebay, but nobody has heard them yet...

I really don't think Grado pads will work on those - the ES7 cups are at least 50% smaller and don't really have any attachment for bowls/flats of the larger size.

Quote:
Great review on the HTF600 Joker.

Thanks!

Quote:
x2 Wonderful review; I thought it was mostly hype before but now I'm definitely intrigued! May pick these up once I have some cash to spare. How would you compare the tonality to the CAL? Which sounds more natural to your ears?

Thanks! The beauty is that you really don't need much cash to pick these up. I think they are brighter than the CAL!. The CAL! was always a little too warm for my taste so in terms of tonality I'd pick the Panasonics no question.

Quote:
You mention the Monoprice 8323 in the HTF-600 review a lot. Does this mean you might be reviewing it?
I've wondered if that really was identical in sound to the Kicker HP541. I hope not because that's the headphone i've hated the most.

As always, the offer of any of my KRKs to ljokerl for loaner review still stands. I don't know if they're good enough for portable use due to their weird headband design. Still smaller than the M50.

I have the KNS-6400 and 8400. I figure you're backed up for reviews until 2014.

I personally don't care about a review for them, but felt some might appreciate them. 8400 is the 2nd favorite portable/closed under $250 behind the DJ100/TB.

BTW I felt the HTF-600 was pretty good for $35. I prefer more upper mids and treble over more bass and low mids.It's soundstage was pretty nice for $30. With some EQ I could probably like it more.
It's in the trash because I messed it up with modding it
biggrin.gif
I still think I prefer the UR-55, DT-235 and Maxell DHP-II in the under $60 price range.

One headphone that's been on my radar is the Beyerdynamic DT-250. Heard it uses a special DT-770 driver
confused_face_2.gif

Yes, I've owned the Monoprice for a while now. It's a good beater headphone, much more portable than the HTF600 and surprisingly durable. I don't know about the Kicker but with the Monoprice the bass hits hard and low and the overall sound is quite dark. It's not even close to a reference sound (though in some ways it does remind me of the Sony V6) but it's vastly superior to the crap retail stores will sell you for $20. The Sennheiser HD203 (for example) sounds quite bloated and muddy in comparison. I think you would like the Senn HD428 much better, though.

I haven't had much time for headphones lately so I haven't bought anything new. The only sets I really enjoy (that I haven't reviewed yet) are the Ultrasone Prolines (550/650/750).

May 1, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #3,093 of 4,593
Hey guys i need a headhone for my dad he likes rock music and country/folk he already has my Sennheiser 595 but that is a open can and i think a closed can is better for him,so there are better onesfor him out there,my budget is like 60 euro so what is out there for him maybe the Panasonic HTF-600...?

May 1, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #3,094 of 4,593

Quote:
Hey guys i need a headhone for my dad he likes rock music and country/folk he already has my Sennheiser 595 but that is a open can and i think a closed can is better for him,so there are better onesfor him out there,my budget is like 60 euro so what is out there for him maybe the Panasonic HTF-600...?

Keeping in mind that the HTF-600 isn't fully closed - I really wouldn't recommend it for a loud environment, for example - it's really something you can't go wrong with for the money.

May 1, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #3,095 of 4,593
Great review of the HTF-600 they're my only set of cans and for the $36 I paid for them they sound really good and are my computer headphones though I'm more of a IEM person.  My cousin has the Beats Studios and I let him listen to these without knowing the price and when I told him they were under $40 he was shocked and ordered a pair the next day.

May 1, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #3,099 of 4,593
Quote:
Great review of the HTF-600 they're my only set of cans and for the $36 I paid for them they sound really good and are my computer headphones though I'm more of a IEM person.  My cousin has the Beats Studios and I let him listen to these without knowing the price and when I told him they were under $40 he was shocked and ordered a pair the next day.

Thanks!

Quote:
He is going to use it at home he has got a Philips audio set with a good amplifier so isn´t there another choice besides the panasonic HTF 600 or is it going to be much more expensive then....?

In most cases it will cost you a lot more to match or exceed the performance of the HTF600. The Superlux HD668B comes to mind as an alternative but that's much more of a studio headphone in sound, lacking the bass impact and warmth of the HTF600.

May 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #3,100 of 4,593
Which portable would you recommend? I've have my eyes on the superlux and creative aurvana live! I listen to mostly pop, rock, and instrumentals. I love my Hifiman RE262, in which your other thread helped me get. I guess i want something similiar to the RE262's.
dt880smile.png
 My budget is 100 or below.

May 2, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #3,101 of 4,593
Quote:
Which portable would you recommend? I've have my eyes on the superlux and creative aurvana live! I listen to mostly pop, rock, and instrumentals. I love my Hifiman RE262, in which your other thread helped me get. I guess i want something similiar to the RE262's.
dt880smile.png
 My budget is 100 or below.

The CAL! is more like the RE262 in the sense that it's warm and smooth but it won't have the clarity or detail of the HiFiMan. The HD668B has better detail but is brighter and colder-sounding. Out of what I've heard there's no good RE262 match under $100 so you'll have to figure which of its qualities you want to keep and which you're willing to give up.

May 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #3,102 of 4,593
I've read some good stuff about the DAC in the NuForce Icon HDP. I haven't read anything fantastic about the amp, but the K550s are easy to drive, and the amp can't be worse than my 2009 MacBook Pro's, so if I can get a steal (like half off), this seems like a reasonable piece of equipment. Is there any flaw to my thinking? I could even use this DAC to improve my PS3 to Denon AVR to B&W 685, don't you think?

Thanks!

One more question. The HDP has a 1/4" output... is it bad to use the adapter that comes with the AKG K550 (standard 3.5mm hookup) to connect the K550 to the HDP? This is a question I am very concerned with.

May 3, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #3,103 of 4,593
Quote:
I've read some good stuff about the DAC in the NuForce Icon HDP. I haven't read anything fantastic about the amp, but the K550s are easy to drive, and the amp can't be worse than my 2009 MacBook Pro's, so if I can get a steal (like half off), this seems like a reasonable piece of equipment. Is there any flaw to my thinking? I could even use this DAC to improve my PS3 to Denon AVR to B&W 685, don't you think?

Thanks!

One more question. The HDP has a 1/4" output... is it bad to use the adapter that comes with the AKG K550 (standard 3.5mm hookup) to connect the K550 to the HDP? This is a question I am very concerned with.

I am not familiar with the HDP but the adapter shouldn't be an issue at all.

May 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #3,104 of 4,593
can some one tell me how good or bad is hd 439 and hd 429 against hd 449 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back