Terms of Service
- The Basics
- Posting Etiquette
- Member of the Trade Rules
- Group Buys
- YouTube Content
- Information Collection and Usage
- Contacting Us
Registration to this forum is free! By registering and continuing usage of the Head-Fi forums, you agree to abide by the rules and policies detailed below, and read, understand and agree to the FAQ and Posting Guidelines.
Although the administrators and moderators of Head-Fi will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and the owners of Head-Fi will not be held responsible for the content of any message.
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
Head-Fi reserves the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.
For more information, please see the Posting Guidelines.
- Be polite. We encourage debating in the forums, but please avoid defamatory statements, personal attacks, racial slurs, name-calling, and cursing at others in the forums.
- Head-Fi's forums are generally geared for headphone high fidelity enthusiasts, but the several categories of forums within Head-Fi generally allow for discussion of general audio topics and even completely non-headphone / non-audio / non-music topics (e.g., the Members' Lounge forum). We ask that you please make a concerted effort to post in the appropriate forums.
- Considering that our member base is made up of people from a wide range of ages, from pre-adults to senior citizens -- and also a great variety of cultures, beliefs and social standards -- swearing on the forums is not allowed. Our general standard is this: if it would not be allowed on U.S. network primetime television, it will most likely not be allowed on Head-Fi's forums. If you need further clarification, feel free to contact a moderator.
- Do not post copyrighted or trademarked material without first obtaining the express permission to do so by the copyright or trademark holder or a legally authorized agent of the copyright or trademark holder. In short, this means no posting verbatim copies of copyrighted articles or logos without first obtaining the proper permission to do so.
- If what you want to post includes words/phrases like "placebo," "expectation bias," "ABX," "blind testing," etc., please post it in the Sound Science forum.
- We do not allow the discussion of politics or religion in any of our forums.
- Do not cross-post. (Cross-posting is posting the same post to more than one thread, or the same thread to more than one forum.)
- Use only one username. Multiple profiles for the same individual are not allowed. Use of multiple profiles may result in an immediate ban.
Member of the Trade Rules
Please note that Sponsors are exempted from some of these rules.
- "Member of the Trade" includes (but is not limited to) manufacturers; individuals selling items he or she made for more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges; individuals selling items acquired (or made by the individual and/or his associates) for the primary purpose of resale; individuals performing services (like modifications or any other service) for which the price charged is more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges; dealers; distributors; manufacturer's representatives; importers; magazine and e-zine writers.
- A Member of the Trade cannot use his/her business name, business logo, product name, brand name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number or URL as part of his/her Head-Fi username, avatar or signature. All Members of the Trade must contact the forum administrator at email@example.com to notify him of an interest in posting before making any posts. If a forum member who was not previously a Member of the Trade becomes a Member of the Trade, he must notify the forum administrator of the change in status. After notification of the "Member of the Trade" status, the forum administrator will then add a “Member of the Trade” custom title to the member’s profile with the business name.
- A Member of the Trade may not post announcements, advertisements, sales information or the like, including classifieds or pictures, about a product he makes or sells in the Main Forums, or via Private Messaging, unless pre-approved by the site's administrators.
- A Member of the Trade may not--via the forums or Private Messaging--volunteer any information about a specific product that he is selling or making, in response to a general request for information about a type of product or in any other discussion in the Main Forums.
- A Member of the Trade may not post subjective assessments or negative comments about the products/services of competitors or other Members of the Trade.
- A Member of the Trade may not review (or make any subjective assessments of) his or her services and/or products he or she manufacturers, represents, sells.
- Head-Fi Private Messaging is not to be used for unsolicited advertising. Using Head-Fi Private Messaging for unsolicited advertising may result in at least a temporary ban of the sender from Head-Fi.
- Astroturfing and shilling, which is posting about products one is affiliated with under the guise/profile of a non-affiliated person, is extremely frowned upon by the moderators and admins of Head-Fi, and may result in a permanent ban from Head-Fi.
- "Group Buys" are arrangements designed to encourage, through Head-Fi's forums or other Head-Fi resources, multi-unit sales of items for the purpose of discounted pricing or other benefits.
- Group Buys, including those on other sites, can not be promoted on Head-Fi's Main Forums, or via Head-Fi's Private Messaging, without first receiving authorization from Jude via Head-Fi Private Messaging or e-mail. Please note, though, that it is not our desire to see Group Buys used by Members of the Trade as a primary method of distribution and advertising on Head-Fi's forums--so, for this and other reasons, they are usually not approved. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis, and most often for DIY-related parts that might otherwise be unreasonably difficult to obtain.
- For further information, see the Group Buys article.
- Posting of personal video content (e.g., YouTube videos):If you wish to post a personal video on Head-Fi.org, please keep the video content relevant to the Head-Fi community.Also, you cannot simply post a link to your video or your video channel.That is, for any personal video you wish to post, it must be embedded in the post.This rule was put in place because there has been an increasing tendency for people to simply redirect people to their video channels via linking, to promote their personal video channels.
- Promotion of Member of the Trade video content (similar to, but not limited to, YouTube videos):If you are a Member of the Trade, and you wish to post video content that is in any way promoting your company, products, services, etc., you must first contact Jude via private messaging or email for approval first.If you receive approval to post your video, then the rules regarding posting of personal video content will apply.
- Head-Fi reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to delete posts. In most cases, the individual who made the deleted post will be notified via e-mail and/or chat and/or private messaging and/or telephone with a reason for the deletion.
- Head-Fi reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to edit posts. In most cases, posts are deleted instead of edited. In most cases, if a post is edited, the individual who made the post that was edited will be notified via e-mail and/or chat and/or private messaging and/or telephone with a reason for the edit(s).
- Head-Fi reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to temporarily or permanently ban any individuals. In most cases, the individual who was banned will be contacted with a reason for the ban.
- Do not post on Head-Fi's forums on behalf of individuals who are banned from Head-Fi. Such posts may be removed with or without notice.
- Head-Fi does not allow the posting of links to the websites of banned members. Such links may be removed with or without notice.
- Discussion of blind testing is only allowed in the Sound Science forum.
- Head-Fi does not screen posts before they are made available for viewing on the forums, unless otherwise specifically indicated.
- Head-Fi does not guarantee the accuracy of information contained in any post made in the Head-Fi Forums and so assumes no legal responsibility for any posts made in Head-Fi.
- The content of any post is solely the responsibility of the poster, even if that poster is an administrator and / or moderator of Head-Fi.
- Head-Fi will cooperate with any valid subpoena or other legal process in supplying copies of posts and any information Head-Fi has concerning the identity of a poster, to the extent that such information is not already available to anyone who accesses Head-Fi.
- PLEASE: We ask you to please NOT display your email address in your profile signature. We ask this, so as to limit the attraction to email spamming robot collectors (spamming bots).
- Head-Fi makes no claim of authorship or copyright ownership with respect to any post.
- The Head-Fi Web Site, Head-Fi Forums and any other Head-Fi user participatory areas shall be used for lawful purposes only. No material shall be posted on or transmitted through the Head-Fi Web Site, Head-Fi Forums and any other Head-Fi user participatory areas, which violates or infringes in any way upon the rights of others, which is unlawful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, vulgar, obscene, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable, which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, gives rise to civil liability or otherwise violates any law.
As used in this policy, the terms “using” and “processing” information include using cookies on a computer, subjecting the information to statistical or other analysis and using or handling information in any way, including, but not limited to collecting, storing, evaluating, modifying, deleting, using, combining, disclosing and transferring information within our organization or among our affiliates within the United States or internationally.
Information Collection and Use
Personally Identifiable Information
- When you register with us through the Site we will ask you for certain personally identifiable information. This refers to information about you that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Information”). Personal Information includes, but is not limited to, your name, phone number, credit card or other billing information, email address and home and business postal addresses. Personal Information may also include information you supply to us concerning your preferences and interests expressed in the course of use of the Site and Services.
- We use Personal Information for the following purposes: (i) to provide the Site and the Services and to administer your inquiries; (ii) to enable users to easily use and navigate the Site and the Services; (iii) to improve and optimize the Services; (iv) to better understand users’ needs and interests, (v) to personalize your experience; and (vi) to provide you with further information and offers from us that we believe you may find useful or interesting. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications or select the appropriate option via your Account.
- We also use your Personal Information to contact you with Head-Fi newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications or select the appropriate option via your Account.
When you visit the Site, whether as a Member or as an unregistered user just browsing, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website (“Log Data”). This Log Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type or the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Site, pages of our Site that you visit, the time spent on those pages, information you search for on our Site, access times and dates, and other statistics. We use this information to monitor and analyze use of the Site and the Services and for the Site’s technical administration, to increase our Site’s functionality and user-friendliness, and to better tailor it to our visitors’ needs. For example, some of this information is collected so that when you visit the Site again, it will recognize you and serve advertisements and other information appropriate to your interests. We also use this information to verify that visitors to the Site meet the criteria required to process their requests. We do not treat Log Data as Personal Information or use it in association with other Personal Information, though we may aggregate, analyze and evaluate such information for the same purposes as stated above regarding other Non-Identifying Information.
Emailing Via a Head-Fi Account
As part of the Services, Members may communicate with other Members and with unregistered users through use of their Accounts. For Members who have selected the option of adding one or more email addresses to an online form, the message they create in the corresponding template will be sent from Head-Fi to those email addresses on their behalf. These email addresses will be stored in the address book the Member creates and will be used only for the purpose of sending the email communication to the addressee.
Identity theft and the practice currently known as “phishing” are of great concern to Head-Fi. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is a top priority. We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, your account ID, login password, or national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited e-mail or telephone communication. For more information about phishing, visit the Federal Trade Commission’s website.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Members. We will display your Personal Information in your profile page and elsewhere on the Site according to the preferences you set in your account. Any information you choose to provide should reflect how much you want other Members and unregistered Site users to know about you. We recommend that you guard your anonymity and sensitive information and we encourage members to think carefully about what information about themselves they disclose in their profile pages. You can review and revise your profile information at any time.
Aggregate Information and Non-Identifying Information. We may share aggregated information that does not include Personal Information and we may otherwise disclose Non-Identifying Information and Log Data with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling and other purposes. Any aggregated information shared in these contexts will not contain your Personal Information.
Service Providers. We may employ third-party companies (such as Huddler) and individuals to facilitate and provide the Site and Services, including, without limitation, maintenance services, database management, web analytics and improvement of the features of the Site and Services, analyzing how the Site and Services are used. These third parties have access to your Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose. We may also provide Personal Information to our business partners or other trusted entities for the purpose of providing you with information on goods or services we believe will be of interest to you. You can, at any time, opt out of receiving such information.
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement. Head-Fi cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of Head-Fi or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, any illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
Business Transfers. Head-Fi may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your Personal Information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy.
Changing or Deleting Your Information
All Members may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information in their registration profile by contacting us. If you completely delete all such information, then your account may become deactivated. If you would like us to delete your record in our system, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a request that we delete your Personal Information from our database. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request. We may retain an archived copy of your records as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
Publicly Accessible Areas of the Service and Private Messaging
"Publicly accessible" areas of the Service are those areas of Head-Fi that are intended by Head-Fi's management to be available to the general public. By way of example, publicly accessible areas of the Service would include Head-Fi Message Boards that are open to both members and visitors. However, publicly accessible areas of the Service would not include portions of Head-Fi that are limited to members. The use of the the Private Messaging Service is not “Private” in the sense that it is a message seen only by the sender and receiver. While the message is private from the rest of the members, it is not encrypted and the administration of Head-Fi can view them if needed. All rules that apply to posting on the Main Forums ALSO apply to the use of our Private Messaging System and violators may have their posting privileges subject to the same revocations as on the Forum in general.
Head-Fi is very concerned with safeguarding your information. We employ reasonable physical, technological, and administrative security measures and attempt to ensure they are applicable under the circumstances. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
We will make any legally required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your unencrypted electronically stored “personal data” (as defined in applicable state statutes on security breach notification) to you via email or conspicuous posting on this Site in the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay, insofar as consistent with (i) the legitimate needs of law enforcement or (ii) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the data system.
Links to Other Sites
The Site contains links to other websites. If you choose to visit an advertiser by “clicking on” a banner ad or other type of advertisement, or click on another third-party link, you will be directed to that third party’s website. The fact that we link to a website or present a banner ad or other type of advertisement is not an endorsement, authorization or representation of our affiliation with that third party, nor is it an endorsement of their privacy or information security policies or practices. We do not exercise control over third-party websites. These other websites may place their own cookies or other files on your computer, collect data or solicit personal information from you. Other sites follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other websites you visit.
Our Policy Toward Children
This Site is not directed to children under 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13.
Can I change my user name? Can I delete my account?
Can I change my user name? Name changes are handled on a case-by-case basis by Head-Fi's administrators, and are generally reserved for extreme...
November 24, 2014: Since they are now a product reseller and I know we'll get asked about this frequently, discussion and linking to Massdrop's...
The purpose of social groups is to allow members more freedom and control over regular discussion with friends or people who share similar...
Beware of the following scams and people abusing the classifieds
If you believe you have been scammed by someone, please report the classified or the first PM message (you only need to report ONE). Click on the...
Posting Guidelines Key Points Public Messages Threads Discussion Reviews and Impressions Other Disclosure, Group Buys, Product Tours etc....
Buy Sell Trade Rules
For how to use the classifieds, see this page: https://www.head-fi.org/f/articles/for-sale-and-trade-forums-faq.13112/ The "Buy, Sell, Trade"...
"Men are disturbed not by the things which happen, but by their opinions about the things" --Epictitus AD 55-135 The staff, just like members,...
Membership Levels, Badges and Custom Titles
Users have up to three things that show on posts and/or in their profile: A badge, and maybe a custom title below their user name and sometimes an...
How to Submit Reviews and Add Entries to Head Gear
How to Submit Reviews and Add Entries to Head Gear Our new Head Gear section functions differently than it did on our previous platform, so...
For Sale And Trade Forums FAQ
Gear For Sale/Trade FAQ (updated June 2017) Welcome to the Gear For Sale/Trade forums FAQ. What are the Gear For Sale/Trade forums? Are there...