Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Apr 26, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #3,076 of 4,593

Quote:
could you try to add the new philips headphones L1 and m1 when they come out aswell as the sennheiser amperior? :)

keep up the good work :)

Sorry, no plans to review those at this time.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #3,077 of 4,593

Let me lay things out a bit clearer...

Environment: I will be using the headphones at work, the university library, on walk to campus, and at home. 

Use: I will be using the headphones for music, computer games, and an occasional movie. The ratio for music to games usage is nearly 50/50, but my main concern is with music. I care more about my audio experience with music than with computer games, but do not want to suffer terribly in my gaming experience.

Purpose: To provide the most detailed audio without sacrificing a natural/accurate sound. I am very OCD when it comes to certain areas. I appreciate a balanced sound. I want to hear the most accurate reproduction of the recording. I am a very analytical and intellectual listener. I listen to tracks multiple times through to follow different instruments, rhythms, harmonies, and pick up on unique features. I sing, play guitar, play mandolin, and write music, and I like to hear the details behind what is occurring so that that I can grasp what the artist is doing. If theses descriptions make for a boring headphone, I could look for something a bit more fun, but I cannot stray far from these characteristics. 

Music: I listen to Punch Brothers, Iron and Wine,The Civil Wars, Glenn Hansard, The Frames, Nickel Creek, and anything Chris Thile, firstly. Secondly, I will on occasion listen to many genres consisting of The Raconteurs, Incubus, Matchbox Twenty, Jason Mraz, Jamie Cullum, John Mayer, Radiohead, and The White Stripes. 

Gaming: Games I play consist of Elders' Scrolls: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Starcraft II, Diablo, Guild Wars, Bioshock. I mostly don't play first person shooters. I love RPGs, and it just so happens that almost all the games I have mentioned have very unique and intricate soundtracks.

Summary: I may not know the best thing for me, but what I have concluded thus far is that I need a portable, isolating headphone for my use. Feel free to argue with me. I also believe I need a well balanced, versatile, accurate headphone. This would mean it does not lack significantly in anything. For game use, is bass important? 

Models considered thus far:
-Sennheiser HD 25-1 II - The talk of balanced sound, build quality, and isolating ability has excited me. I have not and will not be able to test them. I hear the bass is nice; this helps video games and some genres of music. I hear they are accurate; this fill my OCD craving. I hear they are detailed; this is the most important factor as I am VERY interested in hearing the minute details.
-B&W P5 - I know very little about these. I like the look. I've read they aren't very detailed, but that they have nice mids? This did not have substantial support. 
-Shure SE535 - I know very little about these, as well.
-Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A - I'm hoping that if the HD 25-1 II are not for me, that these will be. The pricing I display in a moment will explain this.. They are pretty attractive. I've read a few nice reviews, but they were few and very subjective. Advice here would be nice.
-Klipsch Image X10i - Someone recommended them before... that is all I know.
-Etymotic ER23-HF3-C - These were recommended and through research I read that they are very accurate IEM. I am not sure if this is a "very accurate for the price" statement, or if it is overall.
-AKG Q701 - Clearly not a portable or isolating headphone, but it is of interest. If it can support much better audio than the portables, then maybe sacrificing my portability and isolations may be worth it. I'll take a fantastic experience on regular occasion, rather than a pretty good one all the time. I've read the AKQ Q701 are pretty raved about for value, detail, balance, and bass. Any thoughts?
-Sennheiser HD650 or HD598 -  I know little of the differences, but my thoughts in this direction are near exact as the AKG Q701 thoughts. 

Final Vital tid bit: I work at Best Buy. I get employee discounts. They can be substantial. I also get the discount on replacement plans, and I can get 18 months no interest financing. Therefor, I am wanting to choose from the selection at Best Buy. 

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #3,080 of 4,593

Quote:

thats some pretty nice discounts :O

imo for that price the 598 are unbeatable

I know, right? In what arena are the HD598s unbeatable? From what I've mentioned, do we agree on certain qualities?

Quote:
heh. get me one HD 25 II pls!!

Sorry, mate... Can't go doing that, though I wish I could. What is it you find intriguing in the HD 25-1 II?

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #3,081 of 4,593
nah, i wasnt that serious, but for that price it's pretty good!
and for question: the build, isolation, comfort , and obviously the SOUND (at least from reviews i read, including joker's)

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #3,082 of 4,593

Quote:
nah, i wasnt that serious, but for that price it's pretty good!
and for question: the build, isolation, comfort , and obviously the SOUND (at least from reviews i read, including joker's)

Yea... I've been very intrigued, but I've only noticed them mentioned for rock, dupstep, trance, and other heavy stuff while I listen to mostly acoustic and vocals. I hear their mids might be lacking for my purpose. I hope I find the right pair for me.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #3,083 of 4,593
If you can get the K550 for a good deal, I'd say read up on that particular headphone. Also if you're looking for something neutral/accurate I'd stay away from the P5. They have an interesting, unique presentation/flavor but I would say there are plenty of other headphones that have more bang/buck and are more neutral. The KRK KNS-8400 have AMAZING detail, especially at the price, are comfortable, but one caveat of mine is the headband sticks out on the sides making you looks slightly goofy. YMMV. Also the HD25s are great cans too if you don't mind supraaural and they isolate well. Another great can is the M-80. Much more smooth and pleasant to my ears than the HD25 and a bit more comfortable too. The M-80 has better, more natural mids/vocals while also having a wider soundstage.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #3,084 of 4,593

Quote:

If you can get the K550 for half the price, I'd say read up on that particular headphone. Also if you're looking for something neutral/accurate I'd stay away from the P5. They have an interesting, unique presentation/flavor but I would say there are plenty of other headphones that have more bang/buck and are more neutral. The KRK KNS-8400 have AMAZING detail, especially at the price, are comfortable, but one caveat of mine is the headband sticks out on the sides making you looks slightly goofy. YMMV. Also the HD25s are great cans too if you don't mind supraaural and they isolate well. Another great can is the M-80. Much more smooth and pleasant to my ears than the HD25 and a bit more comfortable too. The M-80 has better, more natural mids/vocals while also having a wider soundstage.

I'll look into it. I know it is twice the price, but have you any knowledge of the AKG Q701? Of the larger headphones, these have grabbed my attention.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #3,085 of 4,593

Quote:

If you can get the K550 for half the price, I'd say read up on that particular headphone. 

+1, the K550 price is the one that stood out for me there, though I've only heard the headphone briefly. Seems like a great deal being one of the cheapest items on the list. Would probably think twice about getting one for portable use, though. I believe there were plans for a more portable version with a shorter cable (K551) but I'm not sure what happened to that.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #3,086 of 4,593

Quote:

+1, the K550 price is the one that stood out for me there, though I've only heard the headphone briefly. Seems like a great deal being one of the cheapest items on the list. Would probably think twice about getting one for portable use, though. I believe there were plans for a more portable version with a shorter cable (K551) but I'm not sure what happened to that.

It would not be my desire to use that headphone for portable use. The problem lies in a headphone that big, I would prefer open and not to use outside of the house. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #3,087 of 4,593
Added Panasonic RP-HTF600

Quote:
(C34) Panasonic RP-HTF600-S: lightweight circumaural monitor from Panasonic

Build Quality (7/10): The construction of the HTF600 is rugged in its simplicity – aside from the headband adjustment and a small amount of play in the earcups, there are no moving parts. This allows the build to be almost entirely plastic, including the inner headband, which makes the Panasonics extremely lightweight and not completely unsuitable for portable use despite their size. The outside surfaces of the earcups feature brushed metal inserts, which help the headphones feel a little less cheap, and the Quick Fit mechanism adds two pre-sets to the adjustable headband. The cable is single-sided, well-relieved, and nearly 10 feet long.

Comfort (9/10): The HTF600 is a full-size headphone with oval earcups. The structure is extremely lightweight and the earcups pivot for a compliant fit. The low clamping force makes them unsuitable for any sort of headbanging, at least in my case, but may be a lifesaver for those with larger heads. The only real issue is the pad material – the pads tend to heat up over time and can induce sweating

Isolation (5/10): The semi-open design limits isolation significantly and causes the HTF600 to leak at high volumes. Clearly the headphones weren’t design for use where background noise is significant

Sound (7.75/10): The sound of the HTF600 is rather well-balanced aside from the boosted low end. The bass is strong – depth is decent and impact is plentiful without becoming overwhelming. The Panasonics are much bassier than the Sennheiser HD428 and Beyerdynamic DT235 but don’t quite have the depth and fullness of a Cortex CHP-2500 (Prodipe Pro 800). Notes have good weight and thickness and the boost in the bass results in a pleasantly warm tone.

The midrange of the HTF600, while not quite as forward as the low end, still sounds prominent enough to impress with its smooth, musical nature. There is mild bass bleed and the mids are somewhat colored but provide good detail – better, for example, than with the bassier, darker-sounding Monoprice 8323. Clarity is decent but falls well short of higher-end sets – the V-Moda M-80, for example. It doesn’t hurt that the Panasonics have airy, well-balanced treble but the natural clarity is only on par with the Sennheiser HD428, which is still less warm and generally more transparent than the Panasonics.

Treble is present but not too high on sparkle. It seems smooth on the whole but lacks refinement and – surprisingly - can sound a touch grainy at times. There is a bit of harshness compared to the Cortex CHP-2500, making the HTF600 more fatiguing over very long listening sessions than both the CHP-2500 and the treble-recessed Monoprice 8323. It also sounds a little less clean than the HD428. On the upside, the HTF600 does have better top end extension than the similarly-priced competition and sounds plenty airy as a result.

The presentation is generally good – there is plenty of width to the soundstage as well as good depth and height, providing a well-rounded image. Unlike the many other entry-level headphones, the HTF600 never sounds small or closed-in and has plenty of air without sacrificing its impactful low end. Layering is vastly superior to the Monoprice 8323 and makes the Sennheiser HD428 sound flat and distant. Dynamics are good as well and the HTF600 sounds great with everything from classic rock to modern, dynamically-compressed music.

Value (9.5/10). (MSRP: $59.99; Street Price: $30) Whether at the street price or at full retail, the Panasonic RP-HTF600 is an excellent value. The sound quality is superior to anything I’ve heard in the price range, with plentiful bass impact taking almost nothing away from the clean, detailed sound and spacious presentation. Technically a full-size headphone, it is still sleek, lightweight, and restrained-looking enough to be used outside, appearing no more out of place than a Sony MDR-ZX700 or Superlux HD668B. Isolation is rather low and the headphones do leak sound but those looking for a comfortable, circumaural headphone will find that what the RP-HTF600 offers may just be the most enjoyable listening experience out there for the money.

Manufacturer Specs:
Frequency Response: 10-30,000 Hz
Impedance: 56 Ω
Sensitivity: 105 dB SPL/1mW
Cord: 9.8ft (3m); Straight Plug
Space-Saving Mechanism: N/A

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #3,088 of 4,593
Question about the ES7.

Now, I've owned these awhile back and I loved their sound, but you know how comfort is.

I was wondering if the Grado softies would fit these, either as a full replacement, or right over the top of the existing pads?

I hate pleather/leather/lambskin, and any trick around it without sacrificing sound is welcome.

I'd get them again if it did. There are some velour replacement pads being sold on Ebay, but nobody has heard them yet...

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #3,090 of 4,593
x2 Wonderful review; I thought it was mostly hype before but now I'm definitely intrigued! May pick these up once I have some cash to spare. How would you compare the tonality to the CAL? Which sounds more natural to your ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back