Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Mar 31, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #3,031 of 4,593
WOW...I really had fun reading this.  Since I'm more towards "bass-heavy" headphones (have the Denon D7000), I went with the V-Moda V-80s when they first came out.  I LOVE the sound of the V-80s.  Great for jazz and easy-listening as well as bass-thumping tracks.  They are "fun" to listen to and present a nice "3D" feeling.  You described it has having a "spacious and well-rounded soundstage."  Only thing I have against it is the comfort level.  Wish the V-80s had the larger cups of the Crossfades LP.  :frowning2:   Thanks for the review(s).  Do you think you'll be adding the AIAIAI TMA-1, Sol Republic headphones, Ludacris Soul, and Skull Candy "Aviator" headphones?   :)

Mar 31, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #3,033 of 4,593
sorry for my previous post i didnt catch the superlux 668B.... Looks like the superlux are the casual ones for me :D

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #3,034 of 4,593

Quote:
WOW...I really had fun reading this.  Since I'm more towards "bass-heavy" headphones (have the Denon D7000), I went with the V-Moda V-80s when they first came out.  I LOVE the sound of the V-80s.  Great for jazz and easy-listening as well as bass-thumping tracks.  They are "fun" to listen to and present a nice "3D" feeling.  You described it has having a "spacious and well-rounded soundstage."  Only thing I have against it is the comfort level.  Wish the V-80s had the larger cups of the Crossfades LP.  :frowning2:   Thanks for the review(s).  Do you think you'll be adding the AIAIAI TMA-1, Sol Republic headphones, Ludacris Soul, and Skull Candy "Aviator" headphones?   :)

I think that's what the upcoming M-100 is - M-80 (ish) signature but in the Crossfade LP form factor. 

I don't have plans to add any of those but I do have a Skullcandy Mix Master (which I thought was significantly better than the Aviator) that I'll be adding.

Quote:
wow, amazing amount of work has gone into the reviews, thanks for making such a comprehensive resource!

Glad it's helpful 
beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #3,035 of 4,593
Hey joker, I'm looking for a headphones under 60 bucks for use to travel to school on the metro and stuff,and initially I decided on the superlux 668B but I saw on amazo it was semi-open and that might disrupt some fellow commuters, so which one would you suggest I get? Should I go for the prodipe 800 or the noise that the superlux generates isn't alot that can be used in public?

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #3,036 of 4,593

Quote:
Hey joker, I'm looking for a headphones under 60 bucks for use to travel to school on the metro and stuff,and initially I decided on the superlux 668B but I saw on amazo it was semi-open and that might disrupt some fellow commuters, so which one would you suggest I get? Should I go for the prodipe 800 or the noise that the superlux generates isn't alot that can be used in public?

The HD668B is not hugely isolating but it doesn't leak very much. I don't think you'll bother people in a public place at moderate volumes (a library - maybe). It performed very similarly to the CAL! (which is closed) on that front. 

The Prodipe has a very different sound signature - it is a lot bassier, darker, more smooth & less resolving. Definitely more of a consumer sound than the studio-oriented 668. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #3,037 of 4,593
The HD668B is not hugely isolating but it doesn't leak very much. I don't think you'll bother people in a public place at moderate volumes (a library - maybe). It performed very similarly to the CAL! (which is closed) on that front.

The Prodipe has a very different sound signature - it is a lot bassier, darker, more smooth & less resolving. Definitely more of a consumer sound than the studio-oriented 668.

So the HD668B focus more on the treble highs mids and lows will the prodipe focus more on the bass?

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #3,038 of 4,593
Just wanted to register and poke my head in here to thank joker (and all the insightful forum comments) for all the hard work.  My headphones recently broke, and I was having a hard time coming to a decision on my next purchase.  This was the most comprehensive and helpful guide I was able to find, and ultimately led to a purchase that I'm almost positive I'll be happy about.  It must have taken a monumental effort to give an in-depth analysis on all of those headphones, and you did it all for free.  People like you are what make the internet awesome.  Thanks.

(If anyone cares, I went with the Denon D1100 as a fairly direct upgrade from my broken Sony XB500)

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #3,039 of 4,593

Quote:
So the HD668B focus more on the treble highs mids and lows will the prodipe focus more on the bass?

Yes, though neither headphone is unbalanced the HD668 will definitely sound bass-light next to the Prodipe.

Quote:
Just wanted to register and poke my head in here to thank joker (and all the insightful forum comments) for all the hard work.  My headphones recently broke, and I was having a hard time coming to a decision on my next purchase.  This was the most comprehensive and helpful guide I was able to find, and ultimately led to a purchase that I'm almost positive I'll be happy about.  It must have taken a monumental effort to give an in-depth analysis on all of those headphones, and you did it all for free.  People like you are what make the internet awesome.  Thanks.

(If anyone cares, I went with the Denon D1100 as a fairly direct upgrade from my broken Sony XB500)

Thank you, very glad the thread was helpful 
wink.gif
. Enjoy the Denons!

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #3,040 of 4,593
Than which is more comfortable? I might get the prodipe as I already have the sennheiser HD201... And do they come with protective casing?

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #3,041 of 4,593

Quote:
Than which is more comfortable? I might get the prodipe as I already have the sennheiser HD201... And do they come with protective casing?

They are pretty close in comfort. The HD668B is lighter and has deeper cups but I didn't have any problems with the Prodipe. I still have a Cortex CHP-2500, which uses the same housing, and can wear that for hours. Neither comes with a hard carrying case but the Prodipe includes a bag. Can't remember if the Superlux does - you'd have to check with the seller.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #3,042 of 4,593
They are pretty close in comfort. The HD668B is lighter and has deeper cups but I didn't have any problems with the Prodipe. I still have a Cortex CHP-2500, which uses the same housing, and can wear that for hours. Neither comes with a hard carrying case but the Prodipe includes a bag. Can't remember if the Superlux does - you'd have to check with the seller.

I don't see the cortex review here..... Is it because it is not portable? Even so how does it fair against the prodipe and HD668B cause they are all quite similar in price

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #3,043 of 4,593

Quote:
I don't see the cortex review here..... Is it because it is not portable? Even so how does it fair against the prodipe and HD668B cause they are all quite similar in price

No, it's because I haven't had a chance to review it. It's just as portable as the Prodipe since it is exactly the same size. Sounds very similar to the prodipe, too.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #3,044 of 4,593
No, it's because I haven't had a chance to review it. It's just as portable as the Prodipe since it is exactly the same size. Sounds very similar to the prodipe, too.

So out of the cortex, HD668B and prodipe how would you rank them for comfort and weight... Since I know more or less how it sounds like

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #3,045 of 4,593

Quote:
So out of the cortex, HD668B and prodipe how would you rank them for comfort and weight... Since I know more or less how it sounds like

Like I said, the Cortex and Prodipe use the same housing - they should weigh pretty much exactly the same. The Superlux is lighter IIRC. All are equally comfortable but if I had to pick I'd go with the Superlux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back