Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 19, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #2,476 of 4,593

Quote:
Haha I thought I did (looks stunning, isolates more than HD25, full of details and bass extends deep.... lol wow I just kinda sold myself there for a minute 
tongue_smile.gif
).... BUT.... it's way too expensive for me right now, and I'm a bit hesitant because I've read things about the timbre being off and it sounding sterile. That's a bit disappointing. There's nothing I love more than great timbre/tonality and a lush full sound. I'd love to still audition them though so I can judge for myself and hear that sweet midrange everyone is talking about. 
smily_headphones1.gif

It's an acquired taste and the DT1350 for all it's pluses I agree it won't work for all music. That being said you got two good headphones  and the M-80 isn't anything to sneeze at and same goes for the HD25. Enjoy then they're great gear
beerchug.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #2,477 of 4,593

Quote:
Haha I thought I did (looks stunning, isolates more than HD25, full of details and bass extends deep.... lol wow I just kinda sold myself there for a minute 
tongue_smile.gif
).... BUT.... it's way too expensive for me right now, and I'm a bit hesitant because I've read things about the timbre being off and it sounding sterile. That's a bit disappointing. There's nothing I love more than great timbre/tonality and a lush full sound. I'd love to still audition them though so I can judge for myself and hear that sweet midrange everyone is talking about. 
smily_headphones1.gif

To my ears, the DT1350 desperately needs well recorded music with room/studio/hall acoustics to bring some of that reverb needed for a sense of realness, otherwise it just doesn't feel right.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #2,478 of 4,593
Hey, I wanted to say thanks for making this thread, it's completely amazing.

I bought a pair of Numark PHX USB headphones for my boyfriend based on the information in the OP, but he thinks they're uncomfortable. He says the pads are too shallow, and the speaker is pressing against his ear, which is pressing against his head. Are there some good alternatives (or possibly less shallow replacement pads) in a similar price range (sub-$80)? Thank you!

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #2,479 of 4,593

Quote:
Hey, I wanted to say thanks for making this thread, it's completely amazing.

I bought a pair of Numark PHX USB headphones for my boyfriend based on the information in the OP, but he thinks they're uncomfortable. He says the pads are too shallow, and the speaker is pressing against his ear, which is pressing against his head. Are there some good alternatives (or possibly less shallow replacement pads) in a similar price range (sub-$80)? Thank you!

Creative Aurvana Live. Was $60 on amazon earlier this week. Thinner pads than PHX but deeper cups so they should work.

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #2,481 of 4,593
A cable will not fix sibilance. Did you try the other pads? You might also consider the HD25-13 which has a subdued treble compared to the HD25-1.

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #2,482 of 4,593
Really? My research says different :/ and I don't think Ill go with the hd25-13, I love the Adidas theme too much XD. Also, how will burn in help? I've only listened to them for like 15 hoursish. Should I burn them in with more sibilant songs, or just the standard frequency sweep and white noise and such.

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #2,484 of 4,593

Quote:
Really? My research says different :/ and I don't think Ill go with the hd25-13, I love the Adidas theme too much XD. Also, how will burn in help? I've only listened to them for like 15 hoursish. Should I burn them in with more sibilant songs, or just the standard frequency sweep and white noise and such.

I compared the HD25-1 and HD25-13 back to back and found both the bass and treble of the HD25-13 more lean, but more linear, more controlled and better extended. 

I'm personally not a big believer in burn-in beyond the few minutes or so required for new driver material to loosen up. 

Something you could try would be to replace the regular foam circle under the earpad with something a little denser like a felt. It will attenuate the entire spectrum overall, but the highs a little moreso. 

Oct 21, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #2,485 of 4,593

Thanks, glad it's been useful! Can't really go wrong with any of those but I still like CAL! the best at $59.

Just got the CAL! and it sounds great, but I think there's just something wrong with me, as I constantly read about how comfortable the CAL! is but have the same problem with basically every closed set of circumaural headphones where my condyle, or the joint in the lower jaw, gets pressed so much that it gets super sore. Previous to the CAL! I had bought the JVC HA-S700 and had the same issue and had to give them away. Same with other headphones I've tried at stores. I think it's time for me to give up on that pursuit. Bah.

I guess from my original decision between the PX200-II, MDR-V6, ZX700 or the CAL!, the PX200 might suit me best?

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #2,486 of 4,593

Quote:

Just got the CAL! and it sounds great, but I think there's just something wrong with me, as I constantly read about how comfortable the CAL! is but have the same problem with basically every closed set of circumaural headphones where my condyle, or the joint in the lower jaw, gets pressed so much that it gets super sore. Previous to the CAL! I had bought the JVC HA-S700 and had the same issue and had to give them away. Same with other headphones I've tried at stores. I think it's time for me to give up on that pursuit. Bah.

I guess from my original decision between the PX200-II, MDR-V6, ZX700 or the CAL!, the PX200 might suit me best?

The ZX700 and V6 are heavier than the CAL! and will clamp a little harder so I don't think they will work if the CAL!s do not. I guess that leaves the PX200-II, assuming you are comfortable with supraaurals, or maybe some of the slightly larger ones like the Beyer DT235.

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #2,487 of 4,593

Quote:

I compared the HD25-1 and HD25-13 back to back and found both the bass and treble of the HD25-13 more lean, but more linear, more controlled and better extended. 

I'm personally not a big believer in burn-in beyond the few minutes or so required for new driver material to loosen up. 

Something you could try would be to replace the regular foam circle under the earpad with something a little denser like a felt. It will attenuate the entire spectrum overall, but the highs a little moreso. 

I'll definitely try the felt thing, and what do you think about the cable will it make a difference?

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #2,488 of 4,593
I don't believe in cables making a difference either beyond basic shielding requirements and microphonics.

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #2,489 of 4,593

Quote:

It's an acquired taste and the DT1350 for all it's pluses I agree it won't work for all music. That being said you got two good headphones  and the M-80 isn't anything to sneeze at and same goes for the HD25. Enjoy then they're great gear
beerchug.gif

Thanks dude - yeah, they both definitely continue to impress me in their own different ways. I don't think I'll ever be able to let go of my HD25s haha. What genres do the DT1350 excel in or are at least acceptable for in your opinion? I love all-rounder 'phones but I might snag a pair just to compare with the rest. I hear they're not that great for metal, which is fine by me as I don't listen to a lot of metal. But I do listen to alternative rock, synth new wave (Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Order etc.), lot of 80's stuff, little hip hop and r&b, and I listen to... well a little of everything. It would definitely bother me if I didn't at least try them (which explains why I have the amount of headphones I do lol).

I   

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #2,490 of 4,593

Quote:
To my ears, the DT1350 desperately needs well recorded music with room/studio/hall acoustics to bring some of that reverb needed for a sense of realness, otherwise it just doesn't feel right.

Yeah, I'm sure. I hear they are very transparent to recording along with source, so I'd imagine  everyone's experience with them is a little different now that I think about it. Like slightly different flavors of the same headphone. My source is ALAC --> DiyMod with a P51, which is rather warm and lush so I wonder if it would give more body to the DT1350 in that regard.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back