Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 17, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #2,461 of 4,593
Quote:
Hey joker,

Just wanted to say thanks so much for the amazing amazing thread (and the IEM one, too!). Thanks to you now I'm stuck trying to decide between a PX200-II, MDR-V6, ZX700 or the CAL!.
tongue_smile.gif
Decisions decisions!

Thanks, glad it's been useful! Can't really go wrong with any of those but I still like CAL! the best at $59.

Quote:
The impressions on the ES10 are very accurate. I have both, the ES10 and the DT1350. It would be really nice if the ES10 would have the same type of pads like the DT1350. With small ears the ES10 is more like a over-ear headphone and not an on-ear headphone. Out of the box, the ES10 was an outstanding headphone. There should be more love on head-fi for these :)

Thanks! 

$400 might be on the upper end for what people want to spend on a portable which might explain why the HD25 and other cheaper sets get a lot more attention. I've seen the ES10 mentioned enough times where relevant. 

Quote:
I havent owned a lot of IEMs, but the RE262 continues to blow me away. I know tip choice is important with any IEM, but the difference between the stock biflanges and the large biflange tips, in my ears, is night and day. If I could find a tip that was halfway between the two, I would have it all - fantastic sound *and* a comfortable IEM. I was hesitant to go back to HiFiMan after my experience with the RE0, but they have definitely kicked a goal with the 262.

Have you tried a tip that is between the two? Something like a MEElec-size bi-flange? I think I settled on the M9 'balanced' bi-flange with the 262 but the The M11+ fit kit might be something worth looking at since it has a bunch of tips.

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #2,462 of 4,593

Quote:

Quote:
The impressions on the ES10 are very accurate. I have both, the ES10 and the DT1350. It would be really nice if the ES10 would have the same type of pads like the DT1350. With small ears the ES10 is more like a over-ear headphone and not an on-ear headphone. Out of the box, the ES10 was an outstanding headphone. There should be more love on head-fi for these :)
Thanks! 

$400 might be on the upper end for what people want to spend on a portable which might explain why the HD25 and other cheaper sets get a lot more attention. I've seen the ES10 mentioned enough times where relevant. 

Exactly. When topic's on the more expensive portable's, ES-10 and also ESW10jpn get the praise they deserve, but there just aren't many people who tried/own it. That's even more the case with Edition 8, - if considered as portable - but it's still pretty accepted it's the best existing  headphones suited for portable usage. Well maybe 1 or 2 would prefer T5. But then again, who has them and if they have them, would use it on the go.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #2,463 of 4,593
Hey Joker,

Thanks for taking the time to review all these headphones, incredible work! I was wondering what your thoughts were on the m-80 if you've gotten a chance to check them out. How do you think it would fare compared to some other top performers like the HD 25. Thanks again!

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #2,464 of 4,593

Quote:
Hey Joker,

Thanks for taking the time to review all these headphones, incredible work! I was wondering what your thoughts were on the m-80 if you've gotten a chance to check them out. How do you think it would fare compared to some other top performers like the HD 25. Thanks again!

I've only had the M80 for about a week. It's a nice set, very good all-round usability like the older Crossfade but with sound to match. Based on some early listening it's going to be pretty high up there, maybe not DT1350/ES10/HD25 but close.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #2,465 of 4,593
I would say the M80 plays admirably in the same league as the DT1350 and HD25, each with their own particular strengths and weaknesses. I do find the M80 more engaging than the DT1350, but it doesn't pack the punch like the HD25. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #2,466 of 4,593
Are there any sonic differences between the Japanese edition of the ESW9 and those shipped to the rest of us ? I would be surprised if its anything other than cosmetics and language.

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #2,467 of 4,593
There shouldn't be.

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #2,468 of 4,593

Quote:
I would say the M80 plays admirably in the same league as the DT1350 and HD25, each with their own particular strengths and weaknesses. I do find the M80 more engaging than the DT1350, but it doesn't pack the punch like the HD25. 

x2 although I still haven't heard the DT1350. But I am very glad to have both the HD25 and the M80 for different purposes. If I feel like I'm not getting enough headstage, the M80s are for me. If I need more impact the HD25s deliver.

Would still love to hear me some DT1350s though. And ES10 for that matter - too bad it's so pricey. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #2,469 of 4,593
I've being listening for over 1 hour now, going back and forth with the HD25, M80, DT1350 and V6 ( yeah V6 dont match with the over ear portables but I love it) and I enjoy them all, but the HD25 always put a smile on my face, is like I'm ABCDing and when it comes to the HD25 it surprise me every time even if Im expecting it. just cant change it, no matter how many "upgrades" I buy.

Now I only must find a decent DAp, since my Zune120 decided to die on me, for non apparently reason after 3.5 years of use.

and BTW, If I had to keep only 2 and sell the rest, HD25 and V6 will stay. they complement very nice and both are hard to die/destroy portables, V6 after a cable mod.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #2,470 of 4,593

Quote:
I've being listening for over 1 hour now, going back and forth with the HD25, M80, DT1350 and V6 ( yeah V6 dont match with the over ear portables but I love it) and I enjoy them all, but the HD25 always put a smile on my face, is like I'm ABCDing and when it comes to the HD25 it surprise me every time even if Im expecting it. just cant change it, no matter how many "upgrades" I buy.

Now I only must find a decent DAp, since my Zune120 decided to die on me, for non apparently reason after 3.5 years of use.

and BTW, If I had to keep only 2 and sell the rest, HD25 and V6 will stay. they complement very nice and both are hard to die/destroy portables, V6 after a cable mod.

What cable did you upgrade to and what kind of effect did it have? I've been thinking about having my V6s recabled.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #2,471 of 4,593
I've only tried mogami and canare star quad in pretty much all my portables but the DT1350 (et) and never notice any difference in sound, all changes has been purely for portability, I dotn believe cables can change the sound of a headphone.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #2,473 of 4,593

Quote:
I've only tried mogami and canare star quad in pretty much all my portables but the DT1350 (et) and never notice any difference in sound, all changes has been purely for portability, I dotn believe cables can change the sound of a headphone.

UPOCC silver and mundorf will certainly change the sound - especially after they kink/break!

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #2,474 of 4,593

Quote:

I've only had the M80 for about a week. It's a nice set, very good all-round usability like the older Crossfade but with sound to match. Based on some early listening it's going to be pretty high up there, maybe not DT1350/ES10/HD25 but close.

This time I beat you to the PUNCH joker
L3000.gif
I'm looking forward to seeing if our findings match up.

Quote:
x2 although I still haven't heard the DT1350. But I am very glad to have both the HD25 and the M80 for different purposes. If I feel like I'm not getting enough headstage, the M80s are for me. If I need more impact the HD25s deliver.

Would still love to hear me some DT1350s though. And ES10 for that matter - too bad it's so pricey. 

Check out my PROFILE page my friend or more specifically my gear listed there. You know you want a DT1350 don't fight it soldier join the club and get one. Trust me its a fun club to be in
beerchug.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2,475 of 4,593

Quote:
Check out my PROFILE page my friend or more specifically my gear listed there. You know you want a DT1350 don't fight it soldier join the club and get one. Trust me its a fun club to be in
beerchug.gif

Haha I thought I did (looks stunning, isolates more than HD25, full of details and bass extends deep.... lol wow I just kinda sold myself there for a minute 
tongue_smile.gif
).... BUT.... it's way too expensive for me right now, and I'm a bit hesitant because I've read things about the timbre being off and it sounding sterile. That's a bit disappointing. There's nothing I love more than great timbre/tonality and a lush full sound. I'd love to still audition them though so I can judge for myself and hear that sweet midrange everyone is talking about. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back