Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 22, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #2,491 of 4,593

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure. I hear they are very transparent to recording along with source, so I'd imagine  everyone's experience with them is a little different now that I think about it. Like slightly different flavors of the same headphone. My source is ALAC --> DiyMod with a P51, which is rather warm and lush so I wonder if it would give more body to the DT1350 in that regard.  

Quote:
Thanks dude - yeah, they both definitely continue to impress me in their own different ways. I don't think I'll ever be able to let go of my HD25s haha. What genres do the DT1350 excel in or are at least acceptable for in your opinion? I love all-rounder 'phones but I might snag a pair just to compare with the rest. I hear they're not that great for metal, which is fine by me as I don't listen to a lot of metal. But I do listen to alternative rock, synth new wave (Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Order etc.), lot of 80's stuff, little hip hop and r&b, and I listen to... well a little of everything. It would definitely bother me if I didn't at least try them (which explains why I have the amount of headphones I do lol).

I   

Well lets see, in my opinion no other can I own does Jazz better then my Beyer but my collection of cans is limited compared to others on here so take what I just said with a grain of salt. Acoustic guitar sounds pretty good on them electric guitar especially screaming heavy riffs from metal the tonality sounds slightly off in my opinion so you're right metal doesn't sound that good on them unless the music is well recorded. It's not always the case of coarse there is some metal that does sound good on it. Music that's vocal driven especially excels on the DT1350 because the mids are so nice on them. Electronica and hip hop in my opinion doesn't work well at all on them or at least the music I've thrown at them. The bass goes low and is detailed but like the rest of the sound signature the bass sounds thin and lean which means it's lacking in bass slam compared to the HD25 and the M-80. That being said the DT1350 does great snare drum and does it far better then the M-80 of the HD25. Armaegis is right when he says you have to have very well recorded music the DT1350 is relentless and is very revealing of bad recordings. This little Byer isn't for everyone and like I said before it's very much an acquired taste. The sound in general is full sounding with good sound stage but leans toward the analytical and lean with a nice detailed treble range very well done mids and a low reaching bass. The M-80 (slightly warm sounding) and the HD25's (lush sounding) sound signature's are completely different from the DT1350 so you'll probably find it a radical departure compared to what you're used to. Some bands/artists albums I've found it does particularly well are as follows:

Stolen Babies - There Be Squabbles Ahead (Avante Garde )
Pink Floyd - Pulse (Progressive Rock) live recording
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Progressive Rock)
Pink Floyd - Echoes (Progressive Rock)
Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound Of Thunder (Progressive Rock) live recording
Rush - Moving Pictures (Progressive Rock)
Melodie Gardot - My One And Only Thrill (Jazz)
Melodie Gardot - Worrisome Heart (Jazz)
Alain Caron - Le Band (Jazz)
Alain Caron - 5 (Jazz)
Alannah Myles - Alannah Myles (Blues/Rock)
Alannah Myles - Rocking Horse (Rock)
Aerosmith - Big Ones (Rock)
Various - Jazz At The Pawn Shop (Jazz)
Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra - Up Close (World/New Age)
Deep Forest - Boheme (Ambient)
Symphony X - Iconoclast (Progressive Metal)
Symphony X - Paradise Lost (Progressive Metal)
Anathema - A Natural Disaster (Progressive Rock with Doom Metal elements very atmospheric)
Porcupine Tree - Coma Devine (Progressive Rock)
Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet (Progressive Rock)
Tool - 10 000 Days (Progressive Rock)
The Cranberries - No Need To Argue (Pop/Folk)

There's plenty more I could add but I don't feel like writing a page long post.
rolleyes.gif

As for your question involving gear the DT1350 gives a touch more bass when I amp it with my DIY amp but it's nothing to really rave about. Truth be known I find the mid's and highs sound a little more clean when I amp it. I have a bass boost on my amp when I use that the bass has a little more authority but then the sound feels less balanced to my ears. With the bass boost on electronica sounds more passable on it but it still doesn't work for me. Don't fall for the talk that the DT1350 needs a powerful amp for it to sound it's best in my experience it doesn't. The differences you notice with an amp are negligiable in my opinion. Amping it will make a small difference in sound that I agree but it won't work miracles and what you hear out of your iPod is generally the same sound signature you'll hear through a mobile amp. This is all my opinion so don't take it as the written in stone gospel other peoples experience may vary slightly. If you're really that curious about the DT1350 sound get yourself to a headphone meet and form your own opinion if it works for you as a possible future go to can.

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #2,492 of 4,593

Quote:

Well lets see, in my opinion no other can I own does Jazz better then my Beyer but my collection of cans is limited compared to others on here so take what I just said with a grain of salt. Acoustic guitar sounds pretty good on them electric guitar especially screaming heavy riffs from metal the tonality sounds slightly off in my opinion so you're right metal doesn't sound that good on them unless the music is well recorded. It's not always the case of coarse there is some metal that does sound good on it. Music that's vocal driven especially excels on the DT1350 because the mids are so nice on them. Electronica and hip hop in my opinion doesn't work well at all on them or at least the music I've thrown at them. The bass goes low and is detailed but like the rest of the sound signature the bass sounds thin and lean which means it's lacking in bass slam compared to the HD25 and the M-80. That being said the DT1350 does great snare drum and does it far better then the M-80 of the HD25. Armaegis is right when he says you have to have very well recorded music the DT1350 is relentless and is very revealing of bad recordings. This little Byer isn't for everyone and like I said before it's very much an acquired taste. The sound in general is full sounding with good sound stage but leans toward the analytical and lean with a nice detailed treble range very well done mids and a low reaching bass. The M-80 (slightly warm sounding) and the HD25's (lush sounding) sound signature's are completely different from the DT1350 so you'll probably find it a radical departure compared to what you're used to. Some bands/artists albums I've found it does particularly well are as follows:

Stolen Babies - There Be Squabbles Ahead (Avante Garde )
Pink Floyd - Pulse (Progressive Rock) live recording
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Progressive Rock)
Pink Floyd - Echoes (Progressive Rock)
Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound Of Thunder (Progressive Rock) live recording
Rush - Moving Pictures (Progressive Rock)
Melodie Gardot - My One And Only Thrill (Jazz)
Melodie Gardot - Worrisome Heart (Jazz)
Alain Caron - Le Band (Jazz)
Alain Caron - 5 (Jazz)
Alannah Myles - Alannah Myles (Blues/Rock)
Alannah Myles - Rocking Horse (Rock)
Aerosmith - Big Ones (Rock)
Various - Jazz At The Pawn Shop (Jazz)
Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra - Up Close (World/New Age)
Deep Forest - Boheme (Ambient)
Symphony X - Iconoclast (Progressive Metal)
Symphony X - Paradise Lost (Progressive Metal)
Anathema - A Natural Disaster (Progressive Rock with Doom Metal elements very atmospheric)
Porcupine Tree - Coma Devine (Progressive Rock)
Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet (Progressive Rock)
Tool - 10 000 Days (Progressive Rock)
The Cranberries - No Need To Argue (Pop/Folk)

There's plenty more I could add but I don't feel like writing a page long post.
rolleyes.gif

As for your question involving gear the DT1350 gives a touch more bass when I amp it with my DIY amp but it's nothing to really rave about. Truth be known I find the mid's and highs sound a little more clean when I amp it. I have a bass boost on my amp when I use that the bass has a little more authority but then the sound feels less balanced to my ears. With the bass boost on electronica sounds more passable on it but it still doesn't work for me. Don't fall for the talk that the DT1350 needs a powerful amp for it to sound it's best in my experience it doesn't. The differences you notice with an amp are negligiable in my opinion. Amping it will make a small difference in sound that I agree but it won't work miracles and what you hear out of your iPod is generally the same sound signature you'll hear through a mobile amp. This is all my opinion so don't take it as the written in stone gospel other peoples experience may vary slightly. If you're really that curious about the DT1350 sound get yourself to a headphone meet and form your own opinion if it works for you as a possible future go to can.

DF, thanks a lot for taking the time to write that up. 
beerchug.gif
 That definitely cleared some things up for me while confirming others. I'd imagine they would be a nice complement to my cans, some of which that are U-shaped so a detailed headphone with upfront mids would be a nice addition. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #2,494 of 4,593
I'm practically drooling to see the ES10 (among others) go head-to-head with another high-ender: The currently $500 Sony Z1000 - If it really is a fair shake better than the ZX700 in all aspects, we could have a new champ, lol. Although this might be coloured by my slight bias toward Sony, I'm glad to see them 'getting their hands dirty' in the portable audio fight once more... Recent flagship IEM, new portable series that has been well-regarded, and in the near future, a line of BA products including a quad! The anticipation escalates...

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #2,495 of 4,593

Quote:
wait so does anyone know a good warm amp for under 50, very portable too ^^. I found an E7 on the FS forum for 40 euros so like 50 bucks. I heard that it was not that warm. 

I've listened to the E11 and it's a bit warmer than the E7, IMO, and cheaper too (no DAC). The JDSLabs cmoy sounds nice as well but I prefer the E11.

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #2,497 of 4,593

Quote:

I've listened to the E11 and it's a bit warmer than the E7, IMO, and cheaper too (no DAC). The JDSLabs cmoy sounds nice as well but I prefer the E11.

is it punchier bass, or just like life in the low end. How's the sibilance compared to the e7. I'm mainly looking for low sibilance at this point even considering the e6 and soundmagic a10 now.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #2,498 of 4,593

Quote:
is it punchier bass, or just like life in the low end. How's the sibilance compared to the e7. I'm mainly looking for low sibilance at this point even considering the e6 and soundmagic a10 now.

I can't A/B them as I no longer have the E7, but the E11 seems to be a bit darker to me, but I wouldn't want to recommend one over the other w/o a head to head comparison. I can't help you with the Soundmagics.

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #2,499 of 4,593
Hey Joker,

Quick question. What do you think of the sound quality of the HD 380 pro and the FA-003? I know they are fairly large cans but apparently they can be used as a portable quite efficiently. Thanks again!

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #2,500 of 4,593
^ interesting, the FA003 as portable, they are big but the cups are same(?) size as the CAL! but the pads are bigger, and cable is detachable, if it only came with a shorter cord it would qualified for Joker's shootout, according to his conditions which are in the OP I believe.

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #2,501 of 4,593

Quote:
Hey Joker,

Quick question. What do you think of the sound quality of the HD 380 pro and the FA-003? I know they are fairly large cans but apparently they can be used as a portable quite efficiently. Thanks again!

I've seen the FA-003 up close and it's humongous - bigger than my Ultrasone PRO 650 which is my largest DJ can and about the biggest thing I'd want to wear outside. I really don't think the FA-003 is a practical portable. I have no experience with the HD380.

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #2,502 of 4,593
hi joker did you ever listening with Ath-SJ55 headphones? im looking about this product cuz many good reviews on this product and the value seems cheap, around 60$

how this compare to Creative Aurvana Live? thx :D

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #2,503 of 4,593

Quote:
hi joker did you ever listening with Ath-SJ55 headphones? im looking about this product cuz many good reviews on this product and the value seems cheap, around 60$

how this compare to Creative Aurvana Live? thx :D

I have not tried the SJ55 although it's been recommended to me a couple of times.

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #2,504 of 4,593

Quote:

I have not tried the SJ55 although it's been recommended to me a couple of times.

I've bought one SJ55 due to the review wrote on headphonia, and I can say that they are really nice. I was mainly using a AKG K181DJ but the bass presence was... too present with the "bass switch on" and almost absent when off. So as i wanted to change a little bit, I've jumped on the SJ55.

The sound is clear, the bass got nice impact, the trebles are nicely reproduced and the middle range isn't left on the side.

For their price, they are absolutely awesome. If you could get yourself a pair of those to review them, that might be interesting for people fan of your thread like me :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back