Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 30, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #2,506 of 4,593
Added Denon AH-D1100

Quote:
Anyone have advice for an upgrade from the HT-21? I really like them, and how portable they are....I just want more of the same but better....a bit more bass would be great.

Missed this earlier. Depending on how much you are willing to spend, you can get some improvement with the Senn PX200-II or AKG K450... or just go straight for the HD25-1...

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #2,508 of 4,593
Sonically, I would say the HD25-1-ii is better than the Shure 440. The 840 is a bit closer. Comfort plays a big part too, with supra vs circumaural.

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #2,509 of 4,593

Quote:
Added Denon AH-D1100

Missed this earlier. Depending on how much you are willing to spend, you can get some improvement with the Senn PX200-II or AKG K450... or just go straight for the HD25-1...

Thanks @ljokerl, you're review imporessions on the Denon AH-D1100 sound was spot-on...I had my Denon AH-D1100 for 8 months and I already don't like the cheap cables that come with it. The cables became distorted and crumpled which is very disappointing. So I might score the build lesser than yours. Other than that, it is very good headphone for watching movies or playing games on surround sound, with a very slight dark tone. But still they are very enjoyable as a whole.

I think I might recable to a silver cable them if I had a chance to locate someone who can here.

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #2,510 of 4,593

Quote:
@ljokerl:
have you tried the SRH440? I was wondering if the HD25-1 II is going to be a significant upgrade over this.

I've never heard the SRH440, unfortunately

Quote:
Thanks @ljokerl, you're review imporessions on the Denon AH-D1100 sound was spot-on...I had my Denon AH-D1100 for 8 months and I already don't like the cheap cables that come with it. The cables became distorted and crumpled which is very disappointing. So I might score the build lesser than yours. Other than that, it is very good headphone for watching movies or playing games on surround sound, with a very slight dark tone. But still they are very enjoyable as a whole.

I think I might recable to a silver cable them if I had a chance to locate someone who can here.

Unfortunately the cable on the D1100 is way better than the ones on the ATH-ES10 and Klipsch Image One I've been using lately. Says more about their cables, I suppose. 

Silver cabling might cost more than the headphones..

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #2,514 of 4,593
The HD-25s are considered portable? Just because of the size or anything else? Also, ES7s worth a buy? I'm not sure about how powerful the bass is but from the description is must be fairly beefy if catering to mainstream.

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #2,515 of 4,593

Quote:
I am interested primarily in sound quality and comfort.  

On that basis it appears only the ATH-ES10  beats the Creative Aurvana Live.

Do you want to think that's right?
   Don

Sound quality - sure. The ES10 is six times more expensive, though. For comfort the CAL! is very difficult to beat, being a lightweight over-ear headphone. It's main downside is that it heats up after a while, as many sealed circumaurals with pleather pads do. The ES10 is an on-ear headphone.

Quote:
**** you dude my wallet........ lol thanks dude :D, D1100... How awesome is the imaging compared to the M50?

The imaging is interesting but somewhat exaggerated. The separation is great but the Denon just doesn't position things as accurately as I would like.

Quote:
The HD-25s are considered portable? Just because of the size or anything else? Also, ES7s worth a buy? I'm not sure about how powerful the bass is but from the description is must be fairly beefy if catering to mainstream.

HD25 is small, lightweight, rugged, has a short cable. Why wouldn't it be portable? 

ES7 used to be a decent deal when it was still being produced and was selling at $70-90. Paying full retail for it is not something I would recommend. For something small, uncomfortable, and with lots of bass there's always the AKG K81, now down to $50 or so.

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #2,516 of 4,593

Quote:

HD25 is small, lightweight, rugged, has a short cable. Why wouldn't it be portable? 

ES7 used to be a decent deal when it was still being produced and was selling at $70-90. Paying full retail for it is not something I would recommend. For something small, uncomfortable, and with lots of bass there's always the AKG K81, now down to $50 or so.

Hmm. Does the HD25 come with a carrying case or anything? Been looking to get new portable headphones. They don't fold right?

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #2,517 of 4,593

Quote:
Hmm. Does the HD25 come with a carrying case or anything? Been looking to get new portable headphones. They don't fold right?

They don't NEED to fold. They are insanely rugged.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #2,519 of 4,593

Quote:
Can they survive in a backpack with 20-30lb of textbooks, a laptop, etc? If so I'm sold

I'd be surprised if they couldn't to be honest. I've seen 3 year old HD25-1 IIs that looked brand new. 

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #2,520 of 4,593

Quote:
Can they survive in a backpack with 20-30lb of textbooks, a laptop, etc? If so I'm sold

Yeah I might be just a sophmore, but I'm taking two ap's (5 next year), and if you ever took those you know how much paper work you have, my backpack probably weight around 30IB's, and I just toss my HD25 Adidas's in there and no problem, not a single scratch or distortion, they sound damn nice, really fun yet so balanced. They are a tad sibilant to my ears though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back