Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Feb 4, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #212 of 4,593
just got my k81dj based on the recommendations in this thread. Driving them with my uDac. First impression: way too boomy! Pretty tight on my head. I took out the inner foam pads as advised numerous places on head-fi (don't need to remove the main pads, just pinch the inner foam and pull it out, easily reversed). Wow, what a difference, just as advertised. Bass pronounced but not boomy, mids and highs improved. My advice: don't judge these cans until you pull out the foam.

Some burn in and stretch out, and I think I'll have a nice pair of portable cans. I may try the blu tack if I get ambitious. I work in various noisy places (ventilation, on planes, near machinery), I'm hoping the isolation can let me enjoy listening in some of those environments. I find having the bass a bit pronounced is helpful in those situations since passive isolation is least effective on the low freqs. I tried Bose NC, no thanks.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #214 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by dana789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got my k81dj based on the recommendations in this thread. Driving them with my uDac. First impression: way too boomy! Pretty tight on my head. I took out the inner foam pads as advised numerous places on head-fi (don't need to remove the main pads, just pinch the inner foam and pull it out, easily reversed). Wow, what a difference, just as advertised. Bass pronounced but not boomy, mids and highs improved. My advice: don't judge these cans until you pull out the foam.

Some burn in and stretch out, and I think I'll have a nice pair of portable cans. I may try the blu tack if I get ambitious. I work in various noisy places (ventilation, on planes, near machinery), I'm hoping the isolation can let me enjoy listening in some of those environments. I find having the bass a bit pronounced is helpful in those situations since passive isolation is least effective on the low freqs. I tried Bose NC, no thanks.

Excellent, glad you tried removing the foam. It really does take about four seconds and makes quite a difference. Enjoy the cans!

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
joker, do you think edition 8 is in portable category too ?

Yes... but my wallet begs you not to suggest that I test it.

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #215 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the KSC35 are interesting to me as well. I've just barely missed the last two pairs sold on ebay
wink.gif

Have you checked Koss's website?

Don't know how much cheaper they are on eBay, or if you get the lifetime guarantee that way.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #217 of 4,593
Thanks, I've seen those Panasonics before. ClieOS does seem to think highly of them indeed so I will probably pick up a set at some point. Something I've noticed - Panasonic and EarPollution seem to source their housings from the same source. I recently picked up the Pana RP-DJ120 and they have a body identical to my Earpollution Nerve pipes, funky colors aside:

Earpollution Nerve Pipe

1966-NPTC.jpg

Panasonic RP-DJ120

317398406_tp.jpg

Seemingly, same goes for the RP-HTX and Earpollution ThrowBax

Panasonic RP-HTX:

rphtx7black1.jpg

EarPollution Throwbax:

42570017_10186029_thumbnail.jpg

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #219 of 4,593
Ugh. SR 60is are the one can I really want to try, but can't bring myself to get, because of it's redundancies with what I already have. I guess if I find a way to get rid of my ATH-AD500s, I'll get them, because of what you said about the bass on them (60s). Just wondering, have you experimented with the pads at all (bowls in particular)?

Since you ranked them so high on value, I'd be curious to hear what you think of the MS1s, which I've read are the best bang/buck (along with KSC75s)
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #220 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh. SR 60is are the one can I really want to try, but can't bring myself to get, because of it's redundancies with what I already have. I guess if I find a way to get rid of my ATH-AD500s, I'll get them, because of what you said about the bass on them (60s). Just wondering, have you experimented with the pads at all (bowls in particular)?

On the SR60i I have tried the bowls (don't bother), stock comfies, quarter-modded comfies, and HD414 pads. To me the quarter-modded comfies are the best combination of comfort and openness of sound, but they are not sufficiently different from what stock pads sound like (IMO) to be called a true mod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you ranked them so high on value, I'd be curious to hear what you think of the MS1s, which I've read are the best bang/buck (along with KSC75s)
biggrin.gif

I think adding more Grado phones to the review would have questionable results as the Grado house sound makes them very hard to distinguish between in the grand scheme of things. SR60 vs SR80 or SR125 vs MS1-type reviews make sense as the reviewer can focus on the very specific differences in sound signature. It's the degree of variation in the big picture that, while making each model unique, puts them all on a level playing field. Still, if I were to add another Grado type phone the MS1/MS1i would certainly be front-runners.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #221 of 4,593
Oh, I totally understand. I've read at least two threads where the OP spends ~1000 words sorting out the differences between SR80, SR60i, and sometimes 125 or 225.

It would take away from short and sweet nature format of your great reviews, I agree.

Also, since you said don't bother with bowls, I guess I won't bother with the SR80s, since it's sometimes said that they're SR60s with bowls
smily_headphones1.gif
. Zombie_X actually made a thread where he commented on the advantages of using bowls on the PortaPros (I was really interested in this for a while, but decided 20$ was too much for a mod on a 30$ set), so you may get some use out of them yet!

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #222 of 4,593
Very nice to include more portable headphones! What I really want to see next is the Audio Technica ATH-ES7, Sennheiser HD 218/228/238 and Shure SRH 240/440. Think you could do that in the future? I'm looking forward to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #225 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I've seen those Panasonics before. ClieOS does seem to think highly of them indeed so I will probably pick up a set at some point. Something I've noticed - Panasonic and EarPollution seem to source their housings from the same source. I recently picked up the Pana RP-DJ120 and they have a body identical to my Earpollution Nerve pipes, funky colors aside:

haha. they take the Panasonic bodies and make them tacky! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back