Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Apr 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #3,991 of 4,593
Quote:
tongue_smile.gif
wooo...many thanks for the review.Love dt1350,

beerchug.gif
 Glad it's useful! 

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #3,992 of 4,593
Hey joker, I was wondering if you heard the new RHA SA950i. It's a small stylish, inexpensive portable headphone, about $60. I just got a pair and find them quite great for the price. Isolation is good maybe a notch or two lower than an HD25, comfort is great, and it sounds reasonably detailed and very musical for a budget can. Hope you get to review these.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #3,994 of 4,593
Quote:
Hey joker, I was wondering if you heard the new RHA SA950i. It's a small stylish, inexpensive portable headphone, about $60. I just got a pair and find them quite great for the price. Isolation is good maybe a notch or two lower than an HD25, comfort is great, and it sounds reasonably detailed and very musical for a budget can. Hope you get to review these.

I was offered their CA200 model but had to pass due to time constraints. I'll keep the SA950 in mind for the future.

Quote:
ty nice reviews really helpful :)

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #3,996 of 4,593
Quote:
You should review the monster dna. Imo it's better than the vmoda m80 

I disagree. While the DNA is good, the M80 is much better. I do like the sound of the Inspirations. I've demoed the entire line. Though honestly, for the end user, the DNA is probably more consumer based. The Inspiration is too big to be truly portable. I can't remember the specifics, but there were too many things that didn't sound quite right on the DNAs for my liking. The M80s had no such short comings. Their greatest shortcoming (for me) was the M80's comfort.

BTW Joker, I still have the TMA-1s for you to demo whenever you have time. Please let me know when you want me to send them your way.

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #3,997 of 4,593
now its getting interesting. i have an eye on the dna, since i own an m80 and look for better isolation and more bass. i owned the m100 which is far too uncomfortable for me and i like on ear designs better. only thing that keeps me from buying is that i do not know how the dna compare regarding soundstage, imaging and detail.

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #4,000 of 4,593
Quote:
You should review the monster dna. Imo it's better than the vmoda m80 

Quote:
BTW Joker, I still have the TMA-1s for you to demo whenever you have time. Please let me know when you want me to send them your way.

Quote:
I still think that the KRK should be in here. If you ever get the chance to give them a go.

Thanks for the recs!

I was at bestbuy the other day and managed to convince a floor manager to let me listen to a couple of their display cans with my J3. I guess I forgot to mention I wouldn't be buying anything but he seemed genuinely curious as to my opinion.

The DNA was pretty much the only Monster or Beats set they didn't have on display 
frown.gif

From an overall 20-30 min listen I was unimpressed with the following:

Beats Executive
Beats Mixr
Beats Solo HD (worse than the original Solo? possibly)
Monster Inspiration
Harman Kardon CL (and why is it so ugly up close?)
Sony MDR-X10 (super comfortable, though)

I actually enjoyed the following:

Ultimate Ears 6000
Skullcandy Hesh 2
Sennheiser HD429 (though I own the 428...)

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #4,001 of 4,593
They didn't have anything from Philips? Their stuff seems to have disappeared from my local Best Buy's shelves too... The Funai acquisition must be disrupting their usual distribution, hopefully they get it sorted.

They have a couple of pretty nice low end models, and most of the Fidelio line seems to be doing pretty well too. I've still got a boxed Downtown around here somewhere that I keep meaning to compare to some of my other stuff before gifting it away. :p

UE4000/6000 review would be interesting, they seem to hit a good sweet spot... So many of the new portables coming out are shooting for the $300+ market...

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #4,002 of 4,593
Quote:
They didn't have anything from Philips? Their stuff seems to have disappeared from my local Best Buy's shelves too... The Funai acquisition must be disrupting their usual distribution, hopefully they get it sorted.

They have a couple of pretty nice low end models, and most of the Fidelio line seems to be doing pretty well too. I've still got a boxed Downtown around here somewhere that I keep meaning to compare to some of my other stuff before gifting it away.
tongue.gif

UE4000/6000 review would be interesting, they seem to hit a good sweet spot... So many of the new portables coming out are shooting for the $300+ market...

Nothing that wasn't packaged up. They had a couple more sets that were broken, such as the Sony 1R and some on-ear Senns (probably HD229 or 239)

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #4,003 of 4,593
Joker, I'm interested in seeing how much better (or worse 
rolleyes.gif
) the executives are compared to the studios (no I don't plan on buying them I just want to see how much beats is improving as a company).

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #4,004 of 4,593
Quote:
Joker, I'm interested in seeing how much better (or worse 
rolleyes.gif
) the executives are compared to the studios (no I don't plan on buying them I just want to see how much beats is improving as a company).

I didn't end up buying them (obviously) and I don't have a Studio anymore so I really can't say whether its better or worse (the Studio in the store was broken). The only thing I can say is that based on my audition I would not be inclined to pick them over anything else I've heard in the price range. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #4,005 of 4,593
Hi,
I'm wondering how the Monster DNA compare to the V-Moda M80's in regards to comfort, isolation and of course sound quality. I mainly listen to modern music as in Pop,Hip Hop,Rock and sometimes electronic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back