Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Apr 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #3,962 of 4,593
Quote:
i am lost... is there really no onear design with decent detail and and some soundstage depth? layering and pinpoint accuracy and subbass are the most important things for me in sound signature and it really is hard to find as even the dt1350 sounded cramped.

If there is I haven't heard it yet. It's clearly possible with full-size closed sets but closed + on-ear, I'm not so sure. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #3,963 of 4,593
Quote:
i am lost... is there really no onear design with decent detail and and some soundstage depth? layering and pinpoint accuracy and subbass are the most important things for me in sound signature and it really is hard to find as even the dt1350 sounded cramped.

Probably not in a closed on ear design.  Have you considered playing with DSP settings?

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #3,964 of 4,593
If playing off a computer, a VST plugin like Isone Pro could work. Or try something like the Focusrite VRMbox.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #3,967 of 4,593
Quote:
which would that be?

Yamaha Pro 500 for example. Sells for ~$400 on amazon. To be honest, I dont know any ultra expensive portable headphones over ear/on ear unlike IEMs. Is this is the ceiling of high-end portable headphones in terms of money?

I hear pro/cons of sound quality full size headphone vs IEMs. But where does portable over the ear/on ear lies in that spectrum? I've EarSonic SM3 and VSonic GR07. I like them. But I'm curious to try something over the ear/on ear headphone for my daily NYC subway ride. Can I do better than EarSonic SM3 moving from IEM to portable over/on ear headphone which is suitable for subway commute?

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #3,968 of 4,593
Also would be nice if the shootout includes V-Moda M100 in the list. Not sure how suitable are they for daily subway commute. But still would be nice to know where do they stand compare to other portable headphones in this shootout.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #3,969 of 4,593
Quote:
Great thread! But I wish there was more $350+ portable headphones were reviewed. Keep up the awesome work.

The only one I have in that category is the Velodyne vTrue and the portability of that is arguable. Sounds pretty good, though. 

Quote:
Also would be nice if the shootout includes V-Moda M100 in the list. Not sure how suitable are they for daily subway commute. But still would be nice to know where do they stand compare to other portable headphones in this shootout.

I'll see if I can still get an M-100 to test.

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #3,970 of 4,593
Quote:

The M-100's are great HP's for commuters.  My previous commuter HP was the ATH M-50.  The M-100's fold up smaller and come with a great semi-hard case which stores cable and cable adapters.  They have awesome SQ as long as you're not looking for neutral.  The sound is a fun sounding V shape with emphasis on the bass but everything else comes out very clear.  The high's aren't as sparkly as the M-50's but it is still clear.  Isolation is only OK because of the semi-open design of these HP's.  They have some vents, V ports, that helps it give a bigger sounding stage but also allow some sound to leak in.  The great thing is that you push the M-100's very loud without any distortion.  Everything is so clear that I don't get any fatigue.  I love the M-100's for daily 1.5 hour bus/train commute to Washington, DC.  

Of course this i just the opinion of a Head-fi n00b.  It'll be great to hear from |joker| and other experienced Head-fiers.  
L3000.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #3,974 of 4,593
NP. I'm just surprised that no one has commented on the M-100. I was deciding between the M-100 and the Momentum but went with the M-100 because of their sound, folding design, accessories, and great customer service!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back