Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Apr 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #3,933 of 4,593
Hi Joker,

I have the AKG k518le's, I've removed the foam pieces and I've switched the earpads with the ones on my Organic Headphones(which I''m pretty sure is identical to the Coby CV-185) and this reduced the bass and brought out the highs and mids quite a bit but the residual bass is still a bit too much to my liking.

My music of choice is primarily Metal and I do listen to classical and rock as well. I'm not really happy with how metal sounds on these :frowning2: (too much bass and they sound a bit congested on complex tracks). Would the hd 25 velour pads change the sound further? Would stuffing cotton inside the casing absorb the bass?

... Or should I just get another headphone?... If so what would you recommend in this price range. Would the Akg 514mkII or the Incipio f38(FA-004) be good for my tastes? or what about the Superlux HD 660?

Some music I listen to- Sigh, Omnium Gatherum, Wintersun, Vintersorg, Windir...and the like

Edit: I must admit though that these cans are amazing for some other genre's of music although the K518's did get much better for metal after those mods and a little burn in, I just want a bit more though

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #3,934 of 4,593
Hi Joker,

I have the AKG k518le's, I've removed the foam pieces and I've switched the earpads with the ones on my Organic Headphones(which I''m pretty sure is identical to the Coby CV-185) and this reduced the bass and brought out the highs and mids quite a bit but the residual bass is still a bit too much to my liking.

My music of choice is primarily Metal and I do listen to classical and rock as well. I'm not really happy with how metal sounds on these :frowning2: (too much bass and they sound a bit congested on complex tracks). Would the hd 25 velour pads change the sound further? Would stuffing cotton inside the casing absorb the bass?

... Or should I just get another headphone?... If so what would you recommend in this price range. Would the Akg 514mkII or the Incipio f38(FA-004) be good for my tastes? or what about the Superlux HD 660?

Some music I listen to- Sigh, Omnium Gatherum, Wintersun, Vintersorg, Windir...and the like

Edit: I must admit though that these cans are amazing for some other genre's of music although the K518's did get much better for metal after those mods and a little burn in, I just want a bit more though

I have those cans aswell and I too find the bass sometimes overwhelming, the phone it´s pretty dark, if you don't want to spend to much I can recomend any good Koss like the KCS75 or the portapro or even the ktx1, if you can spend a bit more any good grado would do a better job on metal (it's my fav type of music along alternative rock).

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #3,935 of 4,593
Quote:
I have those cans aswell and I too find the bass sometimes overwhelming, the phone it´s pretty dark, if you don't want to spend to much I can recomend any good Koss like the KCS75 or the portapro or even the ktx1, if you can spend a bit more any good grado would do a better job on metal (it's my fav type of music along alternative rock).

Thank You for the reply. I've considered the Grado's but the fact that they leak considerably makes me wary :frowning2:. I've considered the Kcs75 or the portapro as well but would prefer a closed can that doesn't leak much.

I'm wondering now if the JVC ha-s500 is any good for metal. I'm still leaning towards the Incipio...

The igrado's look real tempting at 50 bucks

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #3,936 of 4,593
The insipios are supposed to really uncomfortable. Fischer used better pads. I'd look at the CAL!, V6, and the Samson clones of the AKG k240 (there are two brands of well received k240 clones, the other escapes me). The k240 is $80 on amazon at the moment, and might be an option.

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #3,938 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi Joker,

I doubt any modification to the K518 would make it lean enough - it's a bassy headphone. If you're willing to go full-size, Superlux might be the way to go. I haven't tried the HD660 but the HD668B was quite good in the <$100 range and nowhere near as bassy as the K518.

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #3,939 of 4,593
If there are any small holes/vents on the cups of the K518, taping them up should reduce bass. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #3,940 of 4,593
Quote:
If there are any small holes/vents on the cups of the K518, taping them up should reduce bass. 

Quote:

I doubt any modification to the K518 would make it lean enough - it's a bassy headphone. If you're willing to go full-size, Superlux might be the way to go. I haven't tried the HD660 but the HD668B was quite good in the <$100 range and nowhere near as bassy as the K518.

Quote:
Superlux?

Quote:
The insipios are supposed to really uncomfortable. Fischer used better pads. I'd look at the CAL!, V6, and the Samson clones of the AKG k240 (there are two brands of well received k240 clones, the other escapes me). The k240 is $80 on amazon at the moment, and might be an option.

Wow! Thank You all for the replies. I do have the Samson sr850 which I'm guessing is very similar to the HD668B. I like the sound although I find the treble painfully harsh at times which is a problem for me and they do sound a bit thin.  I only have a few hours on them though. Do they get better over time?

Edit: I take that back, I had these burning in over the last couple of days at my place when I was visiting my folks. I come back, tried them on, and they are pretty great. I'm happy with them :)

Back to my portable option, Have any of you heard the AKG 514 MKII? Its on sale for 60 bucks at Canada computers. I've read it has great mids and high's, would this be good for metal? It seems to be really comfortable which is another issue I have with the K518's.

Btw are there any closed portable headphones that have a similar sound signature to the Samsons?

Apr 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #3,941 of 4,593
@ljokerl, can't wait for you to get your hands on the M-100... It's been getting 5-star reviews and editor's choice awards left-and-right but it's really good and exciting to see your take on it though, especially with your vast number of hands-on experience with portables.

Also, the AKG K451 and K618/K619 have been really popular in the EU... Can we expect your review on those in the near future?

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #3,942 of 4,593
Hi Everyone, ( I am not sure which topic is more relevant so I posted this one also to the "buying portable or in-ear   .... topic")
This is my first post on headfi. I feel a little bit lost in many posts and I want to ask your opinion.
I have some good set up for my home hifi system but the WAF (wife acceptance factor) of my favorite music (Metallica to Deep Purple, Country to Glam Rock) is not very good and I need headphones. I am using senheisser CX300 in ears for sometime but I need better headphones. I will buy one IEM and around 150USD I made my choice for yamaha eph100 as there are good reviews on headfi.
I also want on ears and I want one closed and one open on ear headphone. My budget will be around 300USD for two of them and I narrowed my choices for closed one to Senn HD25 1-II (200USD.amazon) but I am not sure about the open ones I tried AKG 420 in a local shop few days a a part and first time I thought they are incredible but one week later I thought they are somewhat muddy. 
What do you think about my IEM and closed choices and what do you suggest for a open one (grados may be)

Secondly do you think I will like the senns and will not want to use open ones.

Thirdly I am thinking of buying a fiio E12, will it help to improve the sound quality for the above mentioned headphones. Iphone 4, possibly Samsung S4 will be the sources. I will be looking for a dedicated mp3 player also but not sure yet. İpod classic vs sensa.

Thanks for the answers :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #3,943 of 4,593
Hello Joker

Will you be adding the Senn Momentum to this list? I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts compared with the DT1350.

Thanks.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #3,944 of 4,593
Quote:
Wow! Thank You all for the replies. I do have the Samson sr850 which I'm guessing is very similar to the HD668B. I like the sound although I find the treble painfully harsh at times which is a problem for me and they do sound a bit thin.  I only have a few hours on them though. Do they get better over time?

Edit: I take that back, I had these burning in over the last couple of days at my place when I was visiting my folks. I come back, tried them on, and they are pretty great. I'm happy with them :)

Back to my portable option, Have any of you heard the AKG 514 MKII? Its on sale for 60 bucks at Canada computers. I've read it has great mids and high's, would this be good for metal? It seems to be really comfortable which is another issue I have with the K518's.

Btw are there any closed portable headphones that have a similar sound signature to the Samsons?

I haven't heard the K514.

Portables that remind me of the Samsons - maybe the Senn PX200-II or, to a lesser extent, AKG Q460 or Phiaton MS300. 

Quote:
@ljokerl, can't wait for you to get your hands on the M-100... It's been getting 5-star reviews and editor's choice awards left-and-right but it's really good and exciting to see your take on it though, especially with your vast number of hands-on experience with portables.

Also, the AKG K451 and K618/K619 have been really popular in the EU... Can we expect your review on those in the near future?

I was planning to review the M-100 but not the AKGs. I have a K550, which has a "portable" counterpart now (K551), so I might add that.

Quote:
Hi Everyone, ( I am not sure which topic is more relevant so I posted this one also to the "buying portable or in-ear   .... topic")
This is my first post on headfi. I feel a little bit lost in many posts and I want to ask your opinion.
I have some good set up for my home hifi system but the WAF (wife acceptance factor) of my favorite music (Metallica to Deep Purple, Country to Glam Rock) is not very good and I need headphones. I am using senheisser CX300 in ears for sometime but I need better headphones. I will buy one IEM and around 150USD I made my choice for yamaha eph100 as there are good reviews on headfi.
I also want on ears and I want one closed and one open on ear headphone. My budget will be around 300USD for two of them and I narrowed my choices for closed one to Senn HD25 1-II (200USD.amazon) but I am not sure about the open ones I tried AKG 420 in a local shop few days a a part and first time I thought they are incredible but one week later I thought they are somewhat muddy. 
What do you think about my IEM and closed choices and what do you suggest for a open one (grados may be)

Secondly do you think I will like the senns and will not want to use open ones.

Thirdly I am thinking of buying a fiio E12, will it help to improve the sound quality for the above mentioned headphones. Iphone 4, possibly Samsung S4 will be the sources. I will be looking for a dedicated mp3 player also but not sure yet. İpod classic vs sensa.

Thanks for the answers :)

It really depends on the type of sound you are after - generally the HD25s are good headphones, as are dozens of others in that price range. The EPH-100 is also a great earphone for a warmer, bassier sound. Its portable counterpart would probably be the V-Moda M-80. With the HD25 and EPH-100 you would have two somewhat different signatures but I am not sure why you wouldn't just go for one very good full-size headphone for home use plus an IEM, rather than open + closed portable + IEM.

Quote:
Hello Joker

Will you be adding the Senn Momentum to this list? I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts compared with the DT1350.

Thanks.

Wasn't planning on it yet - have my hands full and Sennheiser is tough to get hold of. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #3,945 of 4,593
but I am not sure why you wouldn't just go for one very good full-size headphone for home use plus an IEM, rather than open + closed portable + IEM.

This is Head-Fi, I thought everyone had at least one pair of full size open headphones for home, one pair of closed ones for isolation, then another closed portable pair, plus IEM, and possibly several of each... :p

I'm jk, I agree, I do like to have the option of my M-80 or IEM when I'm on the go or traveling but beyond that anything else that's portable just seems semi-redundant... Though I do have one extra pair of IEM and the open Koss clip-ons, those are just used for exercise.

Open portables just have very narrow usage cases... I only like using the KSC75 outside because using IEM on a bicycle or when running in the city can be a hazard. In most other situations it's either too noisy or your leakage would be noisy for others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back