Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Dec 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #3,796 of 4,593
The VModa M80 is a possibility, although I don't know if cycling with them is a good idea.
It's worth a try, the headphone does get a good grip on one's head, although you may find the wind quite noisy and annoying due to the M80's ports.
You could tape up the ports, but then you sacrifice the soundstage to an extent as well as the bass.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #3,797 of 4,593
Do the V-Moda M80 have similar sound signature like UE triple 10 Pro?
I realy like a lot the UE10, and I just want a new pair of headphones with "bigger" sound that would impress me over my favourites UE10. I'll listen them cycling forest trails.
I like the V-shape frequency responce for sure.
My rig is unchanged - Teclast T51 + Meier Corda 2Stepdance amp.
I listen 90% electronic music, like
BT
Clubroot
Dub Fx
Hybrid
Kryptic Minds

More opinions, suggestions and experience please.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #3,798 of 4,593
Any update on the review of the JVC S400/500 (the last reference I found on this thread was back in October).  I am holding back on the purchase of a new headphone (my first for a very long time after years of IEMs).  I am also considering the v-moda M80 (probably used).  Listening to many genres but vocals need to be good and good soundstage. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #3,799 of 4,593
M80 beats the S500 at soundstaging easily, then the S500 beats the M80 at resolution and transparency a bit, mostly resolution.  S500 has a more intimate soundstage while the M80 boasts more depth.  The M80 has more and deeper bass and a fuller sound with cleaner and substantially clearer treble.  S500 has clearer, better-balanced and more fleshed-out midrange, although note that I speak of the S500 using ATH-SJ5 pads instead of the stock ones.  With HD25 leatherette pads, the S500 isolates nearly as much as HD25 and has improved bass over the stock pads and SJ5 pads.  The stock pads are less comfortable, and they are somewhat in between the HD25 pads and SJ5 pads in how they change the sound.  They also bring out a fatiguing treble peak.  I think that the vent holes on the inner side of the SJ5 pads are part of what gives them an advantage in improving the S500's sound.  They allow the drivers to control more air between your ears and the baffles, which is something that tends to result in improved midrange, treble, and soundstage not to mention alleviating a closed-in sound to an extent.  HD25 pads are more closed in, which helps boost and focus the bass.

Vocals are good on the M80 and a bit better on the S500 since the S500 doesn't have the M80's boosted upper mids, which make M80 sound somewhat nasal by comparison although not to the point that your cerebral DSP wouldn't be able to compensate for it after a few minutes.  ;D
I think that they are both relatively suited for a wide variety of genres.

Then the M80 looks awesome while the S500 would make my eyes bleed out of their sockets if I looked at myself in the mirror while using them.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #3,800 of 4,593
Quote:

Then the M80 looks awesome while the S500 would make my eyes bleed out of their sockets if I looked at myself in the mirror while using them.

Must be ugly in person.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #3,801 of 4,593
Jan 1, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #3,802 of 4,593
Quote:
Any update on the review of the JVC S400/500 (the last reference I found on this thread was back in October).  I am holding back on the purchase of a new headphone (my first for a very long time after years of IEMs).  I am also considering the v-moda M80 (probably used).  Listening to many genres but vocals need to be good and good soundstage. 

I was supposed to get a loan after Tyll (of InnerFidelity) finished measuring them but I don't think he's gotten around to it yet. The M-80 does vocals well and has a very good presentation for a portable. Should be what you're looking for.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #3,803 of 4,593
Thank you for your replies and confirming my pref towards the M80..  I am quite happy to spend a bit more on the v-modas for their excellent build quality.  Hopefully they will last a long time.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #3,804 of 4,593
$120-ish budget for mostly dubstep and a bit of hip hop. Any suggestions? I don't really have the time to go through all the reviews right now. :p
Is the M50 still the best in this range or is there better stuff out now?

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #3,806 of 4,593
Quote:
$120-ish budget for mostly dubstep and a bit of hip hop. Any suggestions? I don't really have the time to go through all the reviews right now. :p
Is the M50 still the best in this range or is there better stuff out now?

I haven't heard many of the newer releases so for me the M50 is still what's worth getting in that price range. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #3,810 of 4,593
Quote:

Have you tried these Shures, Joker? And what about the Creative Aurvana Live!?

Nope, not the Shures.

Quote:

Don't know how I missed that. My bad.

So, between the CAL!, M50 and XB700, what would be best for dubstep?

I am not a dubstep listener but I would go with the M50 or CAL! - they are pretty close depending on whether you want a bit more mids (CAL!) or treble (M50). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back