Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Nov 29, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #3,677 of 4,593
Quote:
How about the CAL!? 

It's been a while since I've owned a CAL! but it should be in that same general area. It's certainly not bass-light. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #3,678 of 4,593
Ok, cruised this thread. Read through waaaaay to many pages haha. amazing thread, packed with info. But I'm on 3 or 4 choices. JVC HAS700 , JVC HAM750, Phillips oneil the stretch, or the supperlux hd668. Max budget is 100. I need durable and portable and can't leak sound. Which or what should be my choice for first set of real headphones. Thanks!

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #3,679 of 4,593
Quote:
Ok, cruised this thread. Read through waaaaay to many pages haha. amazing thread, packed with info. But I'm on 3 or 4 choices. JVC HAS700 , JVC HAM750, Phillips oneil the stretch, or the supperlux hd668. Max budget is 100. I need durable and portable and can't leak sound. Which or what should be my choice for first set of real headphones. Thanks!

The O'Neill seems like the best choice for what you want, followed by the JVC M750.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #3,681 of 4,593
Added Astrotec AS-100HD & AS-200HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(C35) Astrotec AS-100HD: Semi-open portable headphone from Astrotec

Build Quality (7/10): The AS-100HD is a compact supraaural headphone. Cosmetically, it bears a very strong resemblance to the MEElectronics HT-21 I’ve reviewed previously, down to the single-sided cable attachment and angled plug. The cord is of good thickness and a metal band runs through the headband. The AS-100HD is a semi-open variant and uses metal mesh earcups, which give it a more solid feel compared to the all-plastic HT-21. The construction is not heavy-duty by any means but for a small and reasonably-priced supraaural portable it feels like it should last.

Comfort (8.5/10): The AS-100HD utilizes pleather-padded cups and headband. The headphones are very lightweight but there is more clamp force compared to the MEElec HT-21, which allows the Astrotec set to fit more securely but gives up a small amount of long-term comfort.

Isolation (5/10): Surprisingly, the semi-open AS-100HD doesn’t really isolate any worse than the closed-back but looser-fitting MEElec HT-21.

Sound (6.25/10): The AS-100HD pursues an enhanced-bass sound signature, delivering surprising depth and power for a semi-open headphone. The low is slightly boomy and lacks the detail and refinement higher-end sets are typically capable of providing. Still, it performs well enough for the asking price and the bass boost gives the AS-100HD a pleasantly warm sound. The overall sound signature is centered on the bass and lower midrange and begins to roll off at the upper mids. Bass bleed is kept to a minimum by the generally forward midrange, which is smooth and boasts very decent detailing.

The treble presentation is also smooth but the top end is recessed. In some ways the AS-100HD is the polar opposite of the similarly-priced MEElec HT-21, which boasts leaner bass and forward, somewhat shouty upper mids. The closed-back AS-200HD also offers better treble presence and a more balanced overall sound signature. The presentation of the AS-100HD is good—broader and more spacious than that of its closed-back counterpart. The mids and bass tend to sound rather forward, however, which doesn’t lend a whole lot of depth to the sound.

Value (8/10). (MSRP: $36.79; Street Price: $33) The AS-100HD is a consumer-friendly portable headphone that manages to provide a warm sound signature with surprisingly powerful bass. The real strength, however, is midrange, which is clean and informative. For such a small headphone the AS-100HD also feels sturdy and provides some isolation despite the semi-open design. For years now the trend has been towards closed portable headphones, but, when taken alongside its closed-back counterpart, the AS-100HD shows that there is still merit in the sound of open-back designs.

Manufacturer Specs:
Frequency Response: 8-21,000 Hz
Impedance: 32 Ω
Sensitivity: 106 dB SPL/1mW
Cord: 3.94ft (1.2m); Angled Plug
Space-Saving Mechanism: Flat-folding, collapsible

(C36) Astrotec AS-200HD: Closed-back portable headphone from Astrotec

Build Quality (7/10): Like the AS-100HD, the AS-200 model is a compact supraaural headphone similar in many ways to the MEElectronics HT-21. The single-sided cord is of good thickness and a metal band runs through the headband. The AS-200HD is the closed variant and uses metal plates on the outside of the earcups, which give it a more solid feel compared to the all-plastic HT-21. The construction is not heavy-duty by any means but for a small, reasonably-priced supraaural, it feels like it will last.

Comfort (8.5/10): The AS-200HD utilizes pleather-padded cups and headband. The headphones are very lightweight but there is more clamp force compared to the MEElec HT-21, which allows the Astrotec set to fit more securely but gives up a small amount of long-term comfort.

Isolation (6.5/10): With a closed-back design and soft padding, the AS-200HD isolates quite well for a small on-ear headphone.

Sound (6/10): The AS-200HD is the closed-back sibling of the similarly-priced AS-100HD model. The AS-200HD is even bassier than its semi-open counterpart, offering up lots of impact and a very full-bodied sound for such a small headphone. In fact, it is probably the bassiest of the entry-level on-ears. Unfortunately this also means that the low end is boomy and not very refined, even next to the AS-100HD. The midrange sounds more subdued by the bass on the AS-200 model as well, appearing veiled. The treble, however, has slightly more presence and is better-balanced with the midrange compared to the AS-100. However, it still doesn’t keep up with the prominent bass, resulting in a slightly dull sound.

Like the AS-100HD, the AS-200HD is generally a warm and smooth-sounding headphone. Despite the bass bloat and midrange veil it can be enjoyable – the presentation, while not as expansive as that of the AS-100HD, has a bit more depth to it and the treble is more satisfying. There is some congestion resulting from the boomy bass but it’s hardly a deal-breaker in an entry-level portable headphone. Also, while the AS-200HD doesn’t have the clarity of the MEElec HT-21 and Koss KSC75, it’s also not in the least bit harsh or sibilant.

Value (8/10). (MSRP: $36.79; Street Price: $33) While equally comfortable and better-isolating compared to the semi-open AS-100HD model, the Astrotec AS-200HD encounters fierce competition from other closed-back sets and simply doesn’t have much going for it aside from the startlingly strong bass. It’s difficult to call the AS-200 “Hi-Fi”, but casual listeners should enjoy them - these diminutive headphones do pack quite a punch and the smooth and warm sound is very non-fatiguing and uncritical of source and recording.

Manufacturer Specs:
Frequency Response: 8-21,000 Hz
Impedance: 32 Ω
Sensitivity: 106 dB SPL/1mW
Cord: 3.94ft (1.2m); Angled Plug
Space-Saving Mechanism: Flat-folding, collapsible

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #3,683 of 4,593
Lol at the published f r stats, is there any portables sets that don't deliver under 10hz these days?   Only a slight concern, seeing that some consumers, use the numbers as a buying tool.

The 100's are lookers to me, while the 200's not so much.  Great find joker!

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #3,685 of 4,593
Quote:
The 100's almost look like miniaturized Grado's...
tongue.gif

Very much so.........

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #3,687 of 4,593
Quote:
Those Astrotec look nice, tho the value of the HT-21's is further bumped lately thanks to some of the deals that have cropped up for them (MEElec's BOGO, Amazon's $13 lightning deal, etc.).

That's some nice pricing for what it is already decent entry-level set at $30-40.

Quote:
Lol at the published f r stats, is there any portables sets that don't deliver under 10hz these days?   Only a slight concern, seeing that some consumers, use the numbers as a buying tool.

It's a self-perpetuating cycle. Uneducated consumers name specs as one of their selection criteria so manufacturers have to stretch their numbers further and further each year to compete.

Quote:
The 100's are lookers to me, while the 200's not so much.  Great find joker!

Agreed, the 200s feel nice and solid but the white and chrome doesn't work for me. Also, white headphones mess with my camera's color balance so the pictures come out even worse. 

Quote:
Joker, I'm curious, what are your favorite portables? I have narrowed it down to two, I want to see if I'm right.

Is it the two in my signature?

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #3,688 of 4,593
Quote:

That's some nice pricing for what it is already decent entry-level set at $30-40.

It's a self-perpetuating cycle. Uneducated consumers name specs as one of their selection criteria so manufacturers have to stretch their numbers further and further each year to compete.

Agreed, the 200s feel nice and solid but the white and chrome doesn't work for me. Also, white headphones mess with my camera's color balance so the pictures come out even worse. 

Is it the two in my signature?

Lol, I thought it was common knowledge, well that or I spend too much time in this thread, Mp4nation has the 100's lol, I feel I the want to hear them thing, since I find the upper mids in the HT21's a bit shouty.

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #3,690 of 4,593
Dang, picked up a pair of zx600 to evaluate for gift giving, it's one of the fussiest fits I've seen, my fairly large ears do that with some smaller closed on ears, oh well, no way can I evaluate them.  If only teens could dig the look of the 100's, I love the look, I guess I can see why the teens like the 600's, they look good in person, wish I could snap a worthy photo, hard to capture.

Edit: After letting them run in some more, they suddenly seem to be much easier to fit. A touch of extra bass, but very reasonable sounding, I'll take some pics and post them in a different thread, don't want to hijack this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back