Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Nov 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #3,661 of 4,593
Hoping to get a recommendation on some circumaural headphones. I've gone through two pairs of Creative Aurvana Live's and while I really enjoyed them the build quality of the cord connections to the headphones themselves didn't work out for me. I traveled with them and use them at work but barely ever snagged the cord however my 1st pair lost sound on the right side so I had it covered under warranty, then the second pair did the same thing about 10 months later. Suffice it to say I'd prefer something else now.

I loved the sound of them, but wouldn't mind getting something that's a step up if the price is right. I only paid $55 for them 3 years ago so I'd like to stay in the $50-100 range still, if possible. I tried the AKG K81DJ back then and picked the CAL over them because of comfort (AKG was too tight) and overall clarity. Are recommendations would be great appreciated. Keeping in mind build quality is a benefit plus for me.

Thanks

EDIT: I should say I was looking at a pair of Sony MDR-V6 because I've seen them drop in price a few times, as low as $40 but I missed out, but I had some reservations because I've read they might not cover the whole ear.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #3,662 of 4,593
Quote:
Hoping to get a recommendation on some circumaural headphones. I've gone through two pairs of Creative Aurvana Live's and while I really enjoyed them the build quality of the cord connections to the headphones themselves didn't work out for me. I traveled with them and use them at work but barely ever snagged the cord however my 1st pair lost sound on the right side so I had it covered under warranty, then the second pair did the same thing about 10 months later. Suffice it to say I'd prefer something else now.

I loved the sound of them, but wouldn't mind getting something that's a step up if the price is right. I only paid $55 for them 3 years ago so I'd like to stay in the $50-100 range still, if possible. I tried the AKG K81DJ back then and picked the CAL over them because of comfort (AKG was too tight) and overall clarity. Are recommendations would be great appreciated. Keeping in mind build quality is a benefit plus for me.

Thanks

EDIT: I should say I was looking at a pair of Sony MDR-V6 because I've seen them drop in price a few times, as low as $40 but I missed out, but I had some reservations because I've read they might not cover the whole ear.

I have a pair of V6s and love them, they're fun, well built, and nostalgic. However I bought a pair of CAL!s for my girlfriend for the amp I built her, and I have to say that the CAL really is leaps and bounds ahead of the V6. I got my V6s refurbished direct from Sony for $35, and for that price, they are unbeatable. That said, I considered getting my girlfriend and upgrade from her CAL!s, and looked at reviews and found that I really couldn't get a substantial sound upgrade (with the same signature) for under ~$300, I mean, there were some that were an improvement, but not substantial enough to justify it for much under $300. The CAL! really is a great can, and I'd recommend recabling them before replacing them. Or, take a look around for an old Denon 2000, which is more or less the same driver, or the Denon 1001, which is the same headphone. If you like the CAL! signature, you really found an incredible can. For me, they're a tad dark, and not for me, but my girlfriend loves them, and it sounds like you did too, I'd really recommend finding something made with a similar driver used. The V6 is a discernable step down from the CAL!, and it also has a very different signature. The V6, while I love them has a really unweildy cord that I cannot stand, and doesn't have the bass thump of the CAL!, it also is more or less designed to make every flaw in every recording incredibly apparent, they're studio/mastering cans, and they really do that job well, every flaw sticks out like a sore thumb.

If you're still sold on the V6, they have much, much larger cups than the CAL, so if your CAL fit, the V6 will fit with the stock pads. If you get the Beyer pads for them that's a different story.

My next can will probably be the DT1350, and honestly, if you are looking for something built like a tank, that might be something to look into, either the Senn HD25, or the DT1350, yes they're both supraaural, but they are durable as can be.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #3,663 of 4,593
Quote:
 That said, I considered getting my girlfriend and upgrade from her CAL!s, and looked at reviews and found that I really couldn't get a substantial sound upgrade (with the same signature) for under ~$300, I mean, there were some that were an improvement, but not substantial enough to justify it for much under $300. The CAL! really is a great can, and I'd recommend recabling them before replacing them. Or, take a look around for an old Denon 2000, which is more or less the same driver, or the Denon 1001, which is the same headphone.

You're reaching a bit, while the CAL sounds similar to the D1001, the build is night and day different. I recently tossed in a pair of D1001's on a package deal to a member here. They were 3 years old and looked as new. The CAL's were used much less and crapped out.  I'm not opposing your view, just offering a different perspective. I'm no denon fan either, since I've given away every pair I've owned.  Agree on the HD 25's being tough as nails though, my son has been through several deployments with them, no easy feat.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #3,664 of 4,593
Quote:
Quote:
 That said, I considered getting my girlfriend and upgrade from her CAL!s, and looked at reviews and found that I really couldn't get a substantial sound upgrade (with the same signature) for under ~$300, I mean, there were some that were an improvement, but not substantial enough to justify it for much under $300. The CAL! really is a great can, and I'd recommend recabling them before replacing them. Or, take a look around for an old Denon 2000, which is more or less the same driver, or the Denon 1001, which is the same headphone.

You're reaching a bit, while the CAL sounds similar to the D1001, the build is night and day different. I recently tossed in a pair of D1001's on a package deal to a member here. They were 3 years old and looked as new. The CAL's were used much less and crapped out.  I'm not opposing your view, just offering a different perspective. I'm no denon fan either, since I've given away every pair I've owned.  Agree on the HD 25's being tough as nails though, my son has been through several deployments with them, no easy feat.

I didn't mean to suggest that they were particularly well built, rather the sound is pretty fantastic for $70. No, the build of the CAL is pretty disappointing, if they were made better, they'd be an absolutely insane value. Regarding the sound, they're incredibly detailed, but I'm not really all that fond of the signature. I'd say from what I've read, the V-modas sound similar, but actually meet military specs, but then again, you're looking at ~$200.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you (the OP) like the signature of the CAL!, then either fix them or find something similar, but built better, which would be a Fostex or a Denon. Though you might want to take a look at the KRK KNS6400. The V6 is a very different beast, and will likely not do it for you.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #3,665 of 4,593
Quote:
I didn't mean to suggest that they were particularly well built, rather the sound is pretty fantastic for $70. No, the build of the CAL is pretty disappointing, if they were made better, they'd be an absolutely insane value. Regarding the sound, they're incredibly detailed, but I'm not really all that fond of the signature. I'd say from what I've read, the V-modas sound similar, but actually meet military specs, but then again, you're looking at ~$200.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you (the OP) like the signature of the CAL!, then either fix them or find something similar, but built better, which would be a Fostex or a Denon. Though you might want to take a look at the KRK KNS6400. The V6 is a very different beast, and will likely not do it for you.

No worries mate, I hope I didn't come off as offensive.  I just can't stand that Creative can't be bothered to fix the long standing durability issues of the CAL.
Yeah, I think the 6400 sounds far better than the 8400. The V6 seems to have polarized opinions. I can't really speak on them, since they're very uncomfortable for me. I tend to believe you can't offer a very objective opinion on sound when all you're thinking while listening is how much you don't like the fit.  I'd say the M80's  are better than the CAL, from my subjective view. But I think it's worth stepping up to the HD 25's over the M80's, and again, many won't agree. My son "borrowed" my HD 25's 6 years ago. I've sent him dozens since then, other than iem's the HD 25's are the only headphones he uses. 

Last I saw them, they still looked good. While not everyone thinks as highly of them as I do, they're a pretty darn tough set.  Cheers
beerchug.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #3,666 of 4,593
Quote:
Quote:

No worries mate, I hope I didn't come off as offensive.  I just can't stand that Creative can't be bothered to fix the long standing durability issues of the CAL.
Yeah, I think the 6400 sounds far better than the 8400. The V6 seems to have polarized opinions. I can't really speak on them, since they're very uncomfortable for me. I tend to believe you can't offer a very objective opinion on sound when all you're thinking while listening is how much you don't like the fit.  I'd say the M80's  are better than the CAL, from my subjective view. But I think it's worth stepping up to the HD 25's over the M80's, and again, many won't agree. My son "borrowed" my HD 25's 6 years ago. I've sent him dozens since then, other than iem's the HD 25's are the only headphones he uses. 

Last I saw them, they still looked good. While not everyone thinks as highly of them as I do, they're a pretty darn tough set.  Cheers
beerchug.gif

I have never heard the HD25, but I have read a bit about them. I have the V6, and I dig them, I really do, they're fun, nostalgic, and don't sound bad. But, if you love the CAL, you probably won't love them, they're rather bright, some bass roll-off, and make bad recordings sound really bad. My next headphone purchase will likely be something small and closed. I was going to go for the HD25, but I really like the look of the DT1350 and it seems to meet my criteria pretty well.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #3,668 of 4,593
Quote:

Thanks

The V6 is a pretty good set but I don't think its sound will be all that impressive after the CAL!. The ATH-M50 sometimes falls into the $100 range and may be a better option for good sound + tougher build quality. I'm also a fan of the Denon DN-HP700 but did not think they were as comfortable as a large DJ headphone should be. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #3,669 of 4,593
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

The V6 is a pretty good set but I don't think its sound will be all that impressive after the CAL!. The ATH-M50 sometimes falls into the $100 range and may be a better option for good sound + tougher build quality. I'm also a fan of the Denon DN-HP700 but did not think they were as comfortable as a large DJ headphone should be. 

I've never heard them, but from what I've gathered, the Superlux may fit the bill for the OP. Joker would know better. Also, the K240 can be found for ~$100, it sounds like the OP isn't really moving about too much with them.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #3,670 of 4,593

Might as well post it here too!

AKG K518 LE vs. Klipsch Image One

I have a Fiio E11 amp my source is an iPod Touch 4G. Audio files on the iPod are all converted 256kbps AAC, half are from ALAC files and the other are from 320 mp3's.
I am just craving that devilish smile inducing bass. Big Impact, decent sound through the mids and treble for sure but it's all about the bass for this set of cans! 

I can get the AKG's from futureshop for $63

And I found a link for the Klipsch Image One on ebay for roughly $75 with shipping
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Klipsch-Image-One-Over-Ear-Stereo-Headphones-w-Mic-Case-iPod-Controls-/130790491361?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1e73b884e1&_uhb=1#ht_2739wt_1397

If someone can confirm that the ebay seller is legit and what set of phones has a better sound signature and quality for me I would greatly appreciate it because I just want to pull the trigger on something already! 
dt880smile.png

Cheers!

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #3,671 of 4,593
Get the AKG, the only think that I think the Klipsch are better is on comfort, but if SQ or isolation is your priority get the AKG, the bass on the kilpsch is bloated. The bass on the AKG is more controlled and doesn't step in the mids a lot.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #3,672 of 4,593
Quote:

Might as well post it here too!

AKG K518 LE vs. Klipsch Image One

I have a Fiio E11 amp my source is an iPod Touch 4G. Audio files on the iPod are all converted 256kbps AAC, half are from ALAC files and the other are from 320 mp3's.
I am just craving that devilish smile inducing bass. Big Impact, decent sound through the mids and treble for sure but it's all about the bass for this set of cans! 

I can get the AKG's from futureshop for $63

And I found a link for the Klipsch Image One on ebay for roughly $75 with shipping
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Klipsch-Image-One-Over-Ear-Stereo-Headphones-w-Mic-Case-iPod-Controls-/130790491361?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1e73b884e1&_uhb=1#ht_2739wt_1397

If someone can confirm that the ebay seller is legit and what set of phones has a better sound signature and quality for me I would greatly appreciate it because I just want to pull the trigger on something already! 
dt880smile.png

Cheers!

I would go for the AKG unless you are concerned about long-term comfort or clamp force. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #3,674 of 4,593
Thanks everyone for the responses. Unfortunately, for my wallet, I was so disappointed in the CAL that when the second pair went out I think I trashed them. It didn't cross my mind to recable so I just gave up. I don't think I'll look at the V6 because I really did like the sound from the CAL (though sometimes I wished they had a little more bass) and from all the replies they don't seem like a worthy replacement.

The ATH-M50 or K240 might be what I have to look at when I have funds to spend that much (relatively cheap, but spendy for me).

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #3,675 of 4,593
Quote:
I think I will get the AKG's! How does their bass compare to an ATH-M50 quantity and impact wise?
Thanks again!
smily_headphones1.gif

Should be pretty close with a good seal. Maybe a bit more mid-bassy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back