Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Nov 16, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #3,631 of 4,593
Hi Ljokerl,
I was wonering what you think about the Aurvana Live in a direct comparison with the panasonic RP-HTF600-S. Their build quality, comfort and isolation seem to be more or less on par. I was wondering how you would compare the sound of the two? I know the aurvana scores higher here but just wondering about a direct compare?

Thanks in advance
Greetins, Anouk,

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #3,632 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi Ljokerl,
I was wonering what you think about the Aurvana Live in a direct comparison with the panasonic RP-HTF600-S. Their build quality, comfort and isolation seem to be more or less on par. I was wondering how you would compare the sound of the two? I know the aurvana scores higher here but just wondering about a direct compare?
Thanks in advance
Greetins, Anouk,

I don’t own the CAL! and haven’t heard it in years so I really can’t provide a direct comparison. For what it’s worth I’ve always found the Aurvana to be more of a warm and smooth-sounding headphone with prominent bass and mids, as well as very decent treble presence. The detail nearly kept up with my HD25 and the soundstage was quite well-rounded, if not too big. They are also reasonably quick for warmer-sounding headphones and have good dynamics. The HTF-600 generally sounded more v-shaped with not very refined treble and a bit of bass bleed but if you’re looking for a specific A:B comparison you’ll probably have to find someone who still owns both. 

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #3,634 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi Joker,
I wonder if you have any plans to review the v-moda m-100 once it is out officially? I can get a pretty good idea here on head-fi what it is like but i would love to hear your take on it. Greetings, Anouk,

I would like to but I haven't taken any steps towards making it happen, yet. After I clear up my IEM queue a little more I'll probably look into the M-100. 

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #3,636 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi Ljokerl,

have you ever tried out the philips cityscape downtown and uptown? how do you think they hold up to the competition in the sub $100 range?

Thanks a lot.

Never heard either of the Phillips.

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #3,637 of 4,593
The Uptown is in a very competitive price bracket. It's good, but not a standout. 

The Downtown is fantastic in its price bracket. I nearly impulse bought one after listening, and I *never* do that. 

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #3,638 of 4,593
Yeah, I really liked the Downtown when I tried it out too... I thought it sounded better than the Koss DJ100 I was comparing it to, vocals just seemed clearer or something, and it's very comfortable. For the $50 or so that it sells for online I thought it was a good value, was actually thinking of giving a pair away as a Christmas gift this year.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #3,639 of 4,593
The $50 price bracket is odd, because it seems disporportionately weak. At ~$70 or so, there's the CAL, K240, SR60, (insert most of Koss line here), MDR-V6 (though it may be outclassed here)

You'd think that with the CAL getting an 8.5/10, the SR60 an ~8/10, etc, there'd be something getting about a 7 or 8 at $50, but there really isn't much that I know of. I suppose if I went through all of the reviews in the thread, I'd find a few, but certainly not the heavy hitters at ~$70.

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #3,641 of 4,593
Hi Joker, 

Firstly kudos for this ongoing review thread 
popcorn.gif

But as you might suspect,  I have a question you might be able to answer...

So I have ksc75, which you have reviewed. Have you ever listened to AKG K 403?
[size=small] Can you tell me how akg k403 compares to ksc75? Are they much darker? Are there noticeably slower/faster? Are there any differences that I might notice at all?[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] thanks in advance :)[/size]
[size=small] Szymek[/size]

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #3,642 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi Joker, 

popcorn.gif

[size=small] Can you tell me how akg k403 compares to ksc75? Are they much darker? Are there noticeably slower/faster? Are there any differences that I might notice at all?[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] http://picasaweb.google.com/SzymekKozlowski[/size]

I know this isn't the question you asked at all, but if you really like the KSC75, you should consider the Grado line, they have a very similar signature, and would be a natural move.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #3,643 of 4,593
Quote:
I know this isn't the question you asked at all, but if you really like the KSC75, you should consider the Grado line, they have a very similar signature, and would be a natural move.

Should also consider the jvc s400. Wickedly good deal for $25.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-30mm-carbon-nanotubes

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #3,644 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi Joker, 

popcorn.gif

[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] http://picasaweb.google.com/SzymekKozlowski[/size]

Thanks.

Unfortunately I haven't heard the K403 or any of those other lightweight AKG portables so I can't be of much help there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back