Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Mar 12, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #3,001 of 4,593

Quote:
hey, im going with the m-audio q40s even thought they arnt too easy on the eyes ive read so many great reviews on them on headfi ..any other suggestions on headphones before i buy them?  

i want 
- a detachable cable (im not too carefull with my headphones)
- good isolation (i run a diesel zero-turn lawnmower ...its loud)
- great bass (i currently have (dont hate) skullcandy titans i love their sound sig)
- great mids and highs (well, just because)
- my price range is around $130 
- easy on the eyes (i want to wear them in public w/o being starred at)
and thats about it 
thanks

P.S im waiting for about a month before i make a final decision.. and i gonna drive these from a iphone and id like not having a pre-amp to dirve these

This has been asked before and the only other set I could recommend checking out was the AKG K181DJ

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #3,003 of 4,593
they look like they are shaped like the audio technica sq5, which actually go around my ears instead of on them. and the square pads are comfortable. talking about the rpm 33 of course

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #3,004 of 4,593
The 33 1/3 is much smaller, the pads are definitely on-ear and they don't have an indentation in the center like SQ5 and most other pads do. Clamping force is similar to the SQ5 which I also found very comfortable.

Quote:
they look like they are shaped like the audio technica sq5, which actually go around my ears instead of on them. and the square pads are comfortable. talking about the rpm 33 of course

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #3,005 of 4,593
Hey Joker - I noticed under your profile that you're auditioning a pair of HFI-780's.  Any opinions on how they sound (unamped)?  I've been considering ordering a pair of those, or alternatively the ATH-M50s as a replacement for my MDR-V6, and I'd really like your input on them.

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #3,006 of 4,593

Quote:
Hey Joker - I noticed under your profile that you're auditioning a pair of HFI-780's.  Any opinions on how they sound (unamped)?  I've been considering ordering a pair of those, or alternatively the ATH-M50s as a replacement for my MDR-V6, and I'd really like your input on them.

I haven't spent much time with them. First listen I thought the bass was nice and deep but a little boomy compared to my own ultrasones (PRO 650s), the mids were slightly recessed (mild v-shape), and the treble was a bit bright/peaky and made them sound slightly metallic overall. I think either that or the M50 would work as an upgrade to the V6 but I couldn't tell you which is better at this point.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #3,007 of 4,593
Thanks for the reply, Joker.  Look forward to the full review!

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #3,008 of 4,593
Great review of the OldSkool RPM 33 1/3, |joker|.  Very astute observations that are on point, as usual.

I've had 'em for close to a month and have become totally smitten with them.  Natural sounding, balanced, and quite musical.  Being an on-ear portable, they might get blown off as a phone that is preoccupied with functionality more than fidelity.. this couldn't be further from the truth.  The sly guys at Fischer have delivered a real ace with the RPM that's a great blend of some of their most heralded phones, IMO.

I find them to fit in & scale very well with the hifi sources and amps, too.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #3,009 of 4,593

Quote:
Great review of the OldSkool RPM 33 1/3, |joker|.  Very astute observations that are on point, as usual.

I've had 'em for close to a month and have become totally smitten with them.  Natural sounding, balanced, and quite musical.  Being an on-ear portable, they might get blown off as a phone that is preoccupied with functionality more than fidelity.. this couldn't be further from the truth.  The sly guys at Fischer have delivered a real ace with the RPM that's a great blend of some of their most heralded phones, IMO.

I find them to fit in & scale very well with the hifi sources and amps, too.

Thanks! I do agree that they are fun and very easy to use. Certainly no pretensions to functionality over sound - they are still plasticky and don't isolate well. I'm not too impressed with them out of some portable players but they sound great out of my D10 and desktop DAC.

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #3,011 of 4,593

Quote:
Thanks for all the reviews |joker|!

I'm probably going to go with Q40's, but wanted to know if you plan to listen to the new Philips Citiscape line anytime soon?

Nope, sorry.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #3,012 of 4,593
Do a review of the Ultrasone HFI 2400......... I have them, and want see what you think of them 
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #3,014 of 4,593
What I hope for is a review of the KRK KNS-8400 if you ever get the chance, Joker. I know you have a lot on your plate already. Definitely looking forward to what you think about the D2000.

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #3,015 of 4,593

Quote:
plz do reviews on ultrasone 580 and 780, they are recomended quite often :)

I do have a 780 so that review should happen eventually.

Quote:
What I hope for is a review of the KRK KNS-8400 if you ever get the chance, Joker. I know you have a lot on your plate already. Definitely looking forward to what you think about the D2000.

The D2000 is definitely a full-size can in my book so I decided not to review it. I thought it would be the same size as a the D1100 but it's a good 25% larger. From a fidelity standpoint is is easily superior to the D1100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back