Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Mar 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #2,986 of 4,593
Hey Joker,

I listen to mostly to female vocals and rock. I also listen to a bit of r'n'b and hip hop as well. I was wondering which headphones should i get the v-moda m80 or the hd-25-1-ii. Or are there any other  headphones that are better for these genres? 

I like a headphone which has good soundstage, mids and treble.

I will be playing it straight from my J3 without an amp.

Thanks.

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #2,987 of 4,593

Quote:
Hey Joker,

I listen to mostly to female vocals and rock. I also listen to a bit of r'n'b and hip hop as well. I was wondering which headphones should i get the v-moda m80 or the hd-25-1-ii. Or are there any other  headphones that are better for these genres? 

I like a headphone which has good soundstage, mids and treble.

I will be playing it straight from my J3 without an amp.

Thanks.

Either should work - the HD25 is better for rock IMO while the M80 does better with vocals and soundstaging but in the end it will come down to the signature you prefer, not the genres you listen to. The M-80 definitely has good soundstaging and good mids. The treble is somewhat laid-back, however, so if you prefer a more aggressive top end the HD25 might still be the better choice.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #2,989 of 4,593

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Joker.

Does the M-80 have a lot of bass because i'm not really a basshead?

Also is the treble in the M-80 really laid back or just a little, would eqing help?

Thanks.

The M-80 is definitely not a beasshead headphone - I think you'll be fine. The treble is mildly laid-back, in contrast to the HD25's which is moderately aggressive. Combined the difference between the two is rather stark. EQing should help if you need it, they respond pretty well.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #2,991 of 4,593
HD25's treble is barely aggressive.  It's mostly the strong treble peaks.  For a truly aggressive sound, there's the SR80i/MS1i SR225i and it can be easily (and cheaply) modified for increased bass.  A little less portable than HD25, though, and needs an adapter, lol.

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #2,992 of 4,593

Quote:
HD25's treble is barely aggressive.  It's mostly the strong treble peaks.  For a truly aggressive sound, there's the SR80i/MS1i SR225i and it can be easily (and cheaply) modified for increased bass.  A little less portable than HD25, though, and needs an adapter, lol.

For some people, it can be pretty aggressive since everyone's sensitivity varies. 'Moderately aggressive' sounds about right (for me) especially when you compare it to more laid-back cans like the M-80 and especially the TMA-1.

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #2,994 of 4,593

Quote:
Any chance of including the Beyerdynamic T5p in this shootout or is it too expensive?

That and I don't really have the time to be taking on more reviews 
redface.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #2,995 of 4,593
I was gonna decide between the V-Moda M80's and Sennheiser HD25-1 II and was leaning towards the Sennheiser's but i got a awesome discount on the V-moda's that i couldn't turn down 
So i got the V-Moda M80's.

Thanks Alot |joker|
You made researching headphones a whole lot easier !

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #2,996 of 4,593

Quote:
I was gonna decide between the V-Moda M80's and Sennheiser HD25-1 II and was leaning towards the Sennheiser's but i got a awesome discount on the V-moda's that i couldn't turn down 
So i got the V-Moda M80's.

Thanks Alot |joker|
You made researching headphones a whole lot easier !

Glad the thread helped! A discount on one certainly does make choosing between them easier.

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #2,997 of 4,593
Just put in an order for the Superlux HD668B, mostly out of curiosity. Will be interesting to see how they perform! Does anybody have an knowledge of what they're like amped vs unamped? I've got a FiiO E17 waiting to come into stock early next month so I was wondering if I should wait for it to arrive if I find the cans disappointing straight into the source.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #2,999 of 4,593

Quote:
Just put in an order for the Superlux HD668B, mostly out of curiosity. Will be interesting to see how they perform! Does anybody have an knowledge of what they're like amped vs unamped? I've got a FiiO E17 waiting to come into stock early next month so I was wondering if I should wait for it to arrive if I find the cans disappointing straight into the source.

I've never heard the E17 but I'd say trying a full-size headphone amped before getting rid if it is solid advice to live by.

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #3,000 of 4,593
hey, im going with the m-audio q40s even thought they arnt too easy on the eyes ive read so many great reviews on them on headfi ..any other suggestions on headphones before i buy them?  

i want 
- a detachable cable (im not too carefull with my headphones)
- good isolation (i run a diesel zero-turn lawnmower ...its loud)
- great bass (i currently have (dont hate) skullcandy titans i love their sound sig)
- great mids and highs (well, just because)
- my price range is around $130 
- easy on the eyes (i want to wear them in public w/o being starred at)
and thats about it 
thanks

P.S im waiting for about a month before i make a final decision.. and i gonna drive these from a iphone and id like not having a pre-amp to dirve these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back