Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Feb 10, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #2,912 of 4,593

Quote:
Hi, as I mentioned in an early post I'm loving the DT235s, what would be the next step up with a similar sound to these?

V-Moda M-80 or Beyer DT1350 seem logical to me.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #2,914 of 4,593
Silly me. I thought the Heaphones I had auditioned in the shop were the same as the ones in this review, but they weren't. Can someone tell me the differences between the HD 25 SP II and the HD 25 SP II and the HD 25-1-II?

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2,915 of 4,593
HD25-SP has a simpler headband than HD25-1 and is a step down in sound quality but bassier.  Also more affected by burn-in.  It has a longer cable and straight plug.  Same earpads, same color scheme.  HD25-1 has a single-sided cable while HD25-SP's cable comes straight down in front of you.

Edit: I have photos of both.

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #2,916 of 4,593
Hi.Could you please tell me which headphone between Creative Aurvana Live! and Superlux hd668b should I choose?I'm on tight budget right now so I cant afford anything above 100$ price range.I'm asking because I'm a complete newbie(sorry about that).I mostly want to know which one sound better.And what about Sennheiser hd 215 II are they any good?

ps:I'm gonna use them on-the-go and at home.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #2,917 of 4,593

Quote:
Hi.Could you please tell me which headphone between Creative Aurvana Live! and Superlux hd668b should I choose?I'm on tight budget right now so I cant afford anything above 100$ price range.I'm asking because I'm a complete newbie(sorry about that).I mostly want to know which one sound better.And what about Sennheiser hd 215 II are they any good?

ps:I'm gonna use them on-the-go and at home.

The CAL! is more beginner-friendly in sound signature and a bit more portable IMO. No experience with the HD215.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #2,920 of 4,593
First, let me compliment you on this terrific resource you have put together! Awesome job...

I am in the process of finishing a portable "roundup" consisting of 18 different models, some of which are included here, especially some of the "budget" phones. Most of my impressions are consistent with yours. There is one notable exception.

The MEELEC HT-21

I'm a bit surprised (since this product has garnered a lot praise from yourself and many others) that my review sample is sounding pretty darn awful and would rate at or very near the bottom of a list of 18! I find them harsh, boxy, completely lacking in bass (I'm not at all a "basshead"), and just plain cheap sounding.

Have you found the the HT-21 requires a significant burn-in? Mine have only had a few hours on them and I plan on giving them a full 24 hours to see if anything changes. I've also tried minute adjustments to the fit just to see if I am missing the sweet spot, etc.

Any thoughts, insights? I know this company has a solid reputation for building great bang for the buck products and I'm hesitant to post a negative review.

Thanks!

P.S. - Unrelated - My personal favorite all-rounder portable is the Denon AH-D1100. Have you heard this headphone and do you think the Creative Aurvana Live! (which shares the same drivers) is comparable for less $$?

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #2,921 of 4,593

Quote:
Any suggestions for/against KRK KNS 6400?

Never heard them personally but they've been recommended to me a couple of times.  There's a thread on them in the full-size forum.

Quote:
does Denon DN-HP700 sound good with metal and dubstep?

Metal - yes. Dubstep - depends. If you want skull-rattling bass and extension to 20Hz, probably not.

Quote:
First, let me compliment you on this terrific resource you have put together! Awesome job...

I am in the process of finishing a portable "roundup" consisting of 18 different models, some of which are included here, especially some of the "budget" phones. Most of my impressions are consistent with yours. There is one notable exception.

The MEELEC HT-21

I'm a bit surprised (since this product has garnered a lot praise from yourself and many others) that my review sample is sounding pretty darn awful and would rate at or very near the bottom of a list of 18! I find them harsh, boxy, completely lacking in bass (I'm not at all a "basshead"), and just plain cheap sounding.

Have you found the the HT-21 requires a significant burn-in? Mine have only had a few hours on them and I plan on giving them a full 24 hours to see if anything changes. I've also tried minute adjustments to the fit just to see if I am missing the sweet spot, etc.

Any thoughts, insights? I know this company has a solid reputation for building great bang for the buck products and I'm hesitant to post a negative review.

Thanks!

P.S. - Unrelated - My personal favorite all-rounder portable is the Denon AH-D1100. Have you heard this headphone and do you think the Creative Aurvana Live! (which shares the same drivers) is comparable for less $$?

I don't listen to any of the cheap stuff pre-burn-in (100 hrs) so I have no idea if the HT-21 changes. You might have a bad pair - can't imagine QC being great on something that retails for $20. I don't find them closed-sounding and the bass is fine, extends down to 30hz or so. They are pretty mid-forward so the bass takes a bit of a backseat.

There's a review of the D1100 on the front page of this thread and if that's your favourite headphone, you can't claim you're not a basshead
tongue.gif
. It does not use the same drivers as the CAL! - that's the older D1001.

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #2,923 of 4,593
I don't listen to any of the cheap stuff pre-burn-in (100 hrs) so I have no idea if the HT-21 changes. You might have a bad pair - can't imagine QC being great on something that retails for $20. I don't find them closed-sounding and the bass is fine, extends down to 30hz or so. They are pretty mid-forward so the bass takes a bit of a backseat.

There's a review of the D1100 on the front page of this thread and if that's your favourite headphone, you can't claim you're not a basshead
tongue.gif
. It does not use the same drivers as the CAL! - that's the older D1001.

Sorry, that was a typo. I was referring to the Denon D1001K, which is my favorite. I have not heard the D1100.

Have you compared the D1001 to the CAL! ?

As for the Meelec, I'll give it another day or so of burn-in. I can't imagine investing any more time than that. I tend to listen to the cheaper phones pre burn-in just to see if they are even worth the bother.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #2,924 of 4,593

Quote:
would love to see the review of the AKG Q460's real soon since they're a few references to it in the posts.

Trying to get around to it 
redface.gif

Quote:
Sorry, that was a typo. I was referring to the Denon D1001K, which is my favorite. I have not heard the D1100.

Have you compared the D1001 to the CAL! ?

As for the Meelec, I'll give it another day or so of burn-in. I can't imagine investing any more time than that. I tend to listen to the cheaper phones pre burn-in just to see if they are even worth the bother.

I've heard D1001k and CAL! side by side briefly and did not notice any differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back