Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Feb 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #2,942 of 4,593
thanks that makes my decision easier! think i'll go with the philips since those big pads on the xb500 might get in the way a bit if i wear them around my neck. Plus the isolation would come in handy for my long daily commute. Thanks again!

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #2,943 of 4,593
Joker, have you heard the Philips SHL-5000?

I picked up a pair on a whim from a local Walmart and am extremely surprised at how good they sound for their price. I paid $25 for them and they sound as good as most of the portable headphones I have heard certainly in the $100 or less price range. Their weaknesses are in build quality, ergonomics, and isolation. But sound wise they are a very good bang for the buck. They have one of the most 3D sound stages I have heard and they have very good instrument separation. Detail is not as good as a higher end IEM or good headphone but definitely in the mid-fi range, but at a budget price. The sound signature is a bit V shaped but it's a shallow V so I am finding I enjoy them despite that quality.

Build wise they do feel fragile and I suspect that if used in inappropriate situations or handled roughly they would break pretty easily. The cable is not bad though but would be better if it had an L shaped plug and a bit more strain relief. Ergonomics wise while comfortable on ear they are to loose for my average size head so if I bend over I have to careful as they have a tendency to slide off my head.

Isolation wise these are below average, so good when you want hear sounds around and bad for places like public transit.

If interested I would be willing to ship these to you so you can give them your usual review process. I am not worried about how long you would need them as I certainly have enough headphones and IEM's to keep me busy.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #2,945 of 4,593

Quote:
Joker, have you heard the Philips SHL-5000?

I picked up a pair on a whim from a local Walmart and am extremely surprised at how good they sound for their price. I paid $25 for them and they sound as good as most of the portable headphones I have heard certainly in the $100 or less price range. Their weaknesses are in build quality, ergonomics, and isolation. But sound wise they are a very good bang for the buck. They have one of the most 3D sound stages I have heard and they have very good instrument separation. Detail is not as good as a higher end IEM or good headphone but definitely in the mid-fi range, but at a budget price. The sound signature is a bit V shaped but it's a shallow V so I am finding I enjoy them despite that quality.

Build wise they do feel fragile and I suspect that if used in inappropriate situations or handled roughly they would break pretty easily. The cable is not bad though but would be better if it had an L shaped plug and a bit more strain relief. Ergonomics wise while comfortable on ear they are to loose for my average size head so if I bend over I have to careful as they have a tendency to slide off my head.

Isolation wise these are below average, so good when you want hear sounds around and bad for places like public transit.

If interested I would be willing to ship these to you so you can give them your usual review process. I am not worried about how long you would need them as I certainly have enough headphones and IEM's to keep me busy.

I haven't, no. To be honest quite a few of the new Philips cans look excellent - the SHL5500 and SHL5800, too. I'd be happy to have a shot at the SHL5000 down the line. I have 5 sets on loan right now that I need to get done but after that it's just my own headphones (and several tonnes of IEMs). 

Quote:
It is great to know my newly purchased, wallet-depleting DT1350 still ranks No. 1! 

With that build quality and isolation I don't see anything challenging them for the top spot in the near future.

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #2,947 of 4,593
After reading through this thread I purchased the AKG 187DJ for $98.00 from Amazon.com and am very satisfied. These headphones isolate extremely well so that I cannot hear the sound of a TV set at higher than moderate sound level when listening to music through my iPod Classic set at about 3/4 volume level. The sound quality is fine for a relatively inexpensive closed headphone, although I have only compared them to my Denon D1000s. I prefer the AKGs to the Denons which really do not isolate at all and sound less tuneful and weighty. I am very grateful to the OP for the effort and thought he put into this thread.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #2,949 of 4,593

Quote:
Does the Crossfade LP at least beat the XB500?

If they were the same price it would be a close call but they are not.

Quote:
After reading through this thread I purchased the AKG 187DJ for $98.00 from Amazon.com and am very satisfied. These headphones isolate extremely well so that I cannot hear the sound of a TV set at higher than moderate sound level when listening to music through my iPod Classic set at about 3/4 volume level. The sound quality is fine for a relatively inexpensive closed headphone, although I have only compared them to my Denon D1000s. I prefer the AKGs to the Denons which really do not isolate at all and sound less tuneful and weighty. I am very grateful to the OP for the effort and thought he put into this thread.

Glad the thread was useful! 

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2,951 of 4,593

Quote:
This thread helped me so much, got a pair of Denon Hp700 for portable use and they do sound really good!

Great, glad to hear it! I've been using the HP1000 lately and sadly the HP700 sounded better to me.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #2,955 of 4,593

Quote:
Hello everyone.

I dont mean to spam here but if there are any gamers in the portable crowd, we would appreciate some input here  
Thank you.

Didn't the mods already say no? 
devil_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back