Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Mar 6, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #1,726 of 4,593
Thank you, joker, helpful as always.  Looks like I am on the lookout for a pair of m50's!  Any ideas as to where to get them, as they are ridiculously expensive here in Australia.  Some reasonable ebay ones going, but worried a bit about fakes.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,727 of 4,593
ljokerl, have you seen these...

Quote:

Head Trip NX-HTDJ Pro DJ Headphones

1. Rotating ear cups for DJ-style monitoring and remix use 
  2. Compact, foldable design for easy storage and traveling
  3. Sweat-resistant sports earpads
  4. Twistz locking design so they stay firmly in place no matter how extreme your sport
  5. 4' and 8' detachable woven polycloth covered cables
  6. Cloth storage pouch for headphones and accessories
  7. Hand-tooled full-metal housings
  8. 50mm driver with rare-earth, neodymium iron-boron magnets
  9. Frequency response: 18Hz-20kHz

$33.49

I'm getting a pair on Tuesday. I'll let you know if they're up to snuff.

But, man, with all those features I think I'd buy them for that price without any drivers.

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #1,728 of 4,593
Hi Joker,

Have you heard Philips HP910s. I like them a lot and try to get a portable headphone like them but a bit more neutral and detailed. (My eyes on DT235s) If you heard them, it would be great if you could maybe roughly rate them and give me some suggestions.

cheers,

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,729 of 4,593
Quote:
Thank you, joker, helpful as always.  Looks like I am on the lookout for a pair of m50's!  Any ideas as to where to get them, as they are ridiculously expensive here in Australia.  Some reasonable ebay ones going, but worried a bit about fakes.

Try the sale forum maybe? I don't know if there are fakes of M50s.

Quote:

Quote:

But, man, with all those features I think I'd buy them for that price without any drivers. 

Yes, I've heard of them. That company makes some IEMs as well. I've been meaning to send them a request but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Quote:
Hi Joker,

Have you heard Philips HP910s. I like them a lot and try to get a portable headphone like them but a bit more neutral and detailed. (My eyes on DT235s) If you heard them, it would be great if you could maybe roughly rate them and give me some suggestions.

I have owned the HP910 but it's been a while so I can't be very specific. I remember them being slightly warm with a mid-bass hump and decent presence across the range. I would say the DT235 is a good choice if you don't mind them being a little dark.

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #1,730 of 4,593
Thanks, Joker! If you don't mind me asking a couple more quick questions: how dark are the DT235, px100 dark? How about CAL!s? Would you call them dark or warm, too? Do they have any bass bleed into mids? Thanks, again.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #1,731 of 4,593

Quote:
Thanks, Joker! If you don't mind me asking a couple more quick questions: how dark are the DT235, px100 dark? How about CAL!s? Would you call them dark or warm, too? Do they have any bass bleed into mids? Thanks, again.

Not quite PX100-dark but not too far off. The CALs are a bit warm but I don't think they cross the threshold into 'dark' for me. The DT235 has slightly less bleed than the CAL! but neither is offensive. The PX100 and PX90 bleed a bit more to my ears.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #1,733 of 4,593
Those things look like the Kicker HP541. I hope they aren't because those are some headphones I hated more than anything else.
I bet ljokerl would give them a 3/10 in terms of sound quality and it'd be a funny review to read. TONS of bass, but very muffled sound.
Like someone had put a thick cloth over the driver. Maybe my pair was a lemon, but I doubt it.

Quote:

Quote:

Head Trip NX-HTDJ Pro DJ Headphones

1. Rotating ear cups for DJ-style monitoring and remix use 
  2. Compact, foldable design for easy storage and traveling
  3. Sweat-resistant sports earpads
  4. Twistz locking design so they stay firmly in place no matter how extreme your sport
  5. 4' and 8' detachable woven polycloth covered cables
  6. Cloth storage pouch for headphones and accessories
  7. Hand-tooled full-metal housings
  8. 50mm driver with rare-earth, neodymium iron-boron magnets
  9. Frequency response: 18Hz-20kHz

$33.49

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #1,734 of 4,593
DT-235 a little dark?! That's news to me. Mine is quite bright and is treble happy. Even more so than my SR-80!
I guess it's possible that the sound out of them can vary. Not fatiguing to me though at least.

I still think you should bump the KRK KNS-8400 higher on your list to review. I bet it would fit your perfect sound signature.
They personally don't fit my sound signature, but it's hard not to be impressed. Still one of the best unamped headphones there is under $200.
The cups lay flat and it is quite portable. They are kind of bass light, very bright and still have good mids. Best thing about them is just how super clear the sound is.
Needs tons of burn in though. The KRK KNS-6400 is supposed to have more forward mids and is probably less neutral.

They also have memory foam on the pads and headband. It also has a removable cable.
Like the DJ100 it's totally unknown and under-appreciated.

Quote:
I would say the DT235 is a good choice if you don't mind them being a little dark.

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #1,735 of 4,593
I just want to say I got some Ultrasone PRO650... and I love it so far. Sound is really surround on this thing...

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #1,736 of 4,593

Quote:
I still think you should bump the KRK KNS-8400 higher on your list to review. I bet it would fit your perfect sound signature.
They personally don't fit my sound signature, but it's hard not to be impressed. Still one of the best unamped headphones there is under $200.
The cups lay flat and it is quite portable. They are kind of bass light, very bright and still have good mids. Best thing about them is just how super clear the sound is.
Needs tons of burn in though. The KRK KNS-6400 is supposed to have more forward mids and is probably less neutral.

Quit it. Not buying any more headphones till I get rid of the ones I have now.

Quote:
I just want to say I got some Ultrasone PRO650... and I love it so far. Sound is really surround on this thing...

Yeah, not sure about positioning accuracy but 'enveloping immersion' is something the PRO650 does well.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #1,737 of 4,593
hi joker,

I am sorry to ask you all these questions, but would you mind comparing CAL!s to HP910s as much as your memory serves you. I am interested in slightly less warm version of HP910s with a bit more detail. If you don't remember them well, don't worry about it.

cheers,

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #1,738 of 4,593
Excellent posting. I have 1 suggestion if I may: Jays v-Jays. I think this can is getting good hype lately. I'm curious to see your opinion on this can.

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #1,739 of 4,593
Added two Sonys - MDR-ZX700 & MDR-V6

Quote:
hi joker,

I am sorry to ask you all these questions, but would you mind comparing CAL!s to HP910s as much as your memory serves you. I am interested in slightly less warm version of HP910s with a bit more detail. If you don't remember them well, don't worry about it.

cheers,

It's really been a while. As best I can remember I'd say the CAL!s have more impactful bass and sound a bit smoother/more liquid on the whole. As to which is warmer, I really don't know - they are both on the warm side.

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #1,740 of 4,593
Thanks a lot for pushing your memory for me. I trying to decide between CAL!s and Yuin G2A. I am pretty sure I would be happy with Yuins but for a little bit more I can get CAL!s and your rating of CAL!s as 8.5 for SQ is very encouraging. I am just afraid of CAL!s having too much bass (especially even when it is not called for) and warmth, but it seems not to be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back