Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Mar 29, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #301 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seidhepriest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portable headphones that are so bling-ey and expensive nobody wears them outdoors?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the portable woodies by ATH and the Ultrasone Editions fall into this category for me. And maybe the B&W P5.

Have you had a chance to give the B&W P5's a listen?

LQQK

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #304 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by threi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dunno if it counts as a portable headphone at all but why not give the JVC ha-x570 a shot? Ugly as hell though :p

'Ugly as hell' is putting it mildly. That's definitely one of the reasons. The other is that it's an old model and will probably be dropped soon. Plus I've never really seen any praise for it that would make me think it's worth a try.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #306 of 4,593
Do any of these have a decent soundstage? In the mid-tier.
Creative Aurvana Lives, ES7s, etc, can be had for $60 and $70 respectively now, so that definitely got my interest. I really like the looks and portability of the ES7 but am worried about complaints of discomfort. The Creatives look a little fragile to me and might be kinda unportable, which isn't a dealbreaker, but is a bit of a downer.
I"m wondering if they'd be OK for FPS gaming, where small footsteps and stuff like that is pretty important. Think CS Source, CoDMW2. I know closed cans generally aren't the best, but I'm trying to find a decent balance between soundstage and isolation.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #307 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by phandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joker any chance of trying the DT250?

Someday
tongue.gif
. Not really trying to move upwards in price. Certainly not in the next 5-6 cans to be added.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do any of these have a decent soundstage? In the mid-tier.
Creative Aurvana Lives, ES7s, etc, can be had for $60 and $70 respectively now, so that definitely got my interest. I really like the looks and portability of the ES7 but am worried about complaints of discomfort. The Creatives look a little fragile to me and might be kinda unportable, which isn't a dealbreaker, but is a bit of a downer.
I"m wondering if they'd be OK for FPS gaming, where small footsteps and stuff like that is pretty important. Think CS Source, CoDMW2. I know closed cans generally aren't the best, but I'm trying to find a decent balance between soundstage and isolation.

Of those two I would certainly pick the Creatives for gaming. The ES7 have a small soundstage and aren't comfortable for long stretches. But I'm tempted to say that the Yuin G2A and Senn PX200-II have them both beat in terms of precision and positioning. Sadly, pricing for the PX200-II seems to have gone up to ~$90. I'll have to address that in the next update.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #309 of 4,593
ljokerl, I must say you are one of the few who have made a major contribution to this site, it is well appreciated! Also, have you tried the JVC S900's?

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #310 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ljokerl, I must say you are one of the few who have made a major contribution to this site, it is well appreciated! Also, have you tried the JVC S900's?

Thanks. I have not tried the HA-S900. The black series (M650 and M750) was released just around the time I was planning to purchase the S900 and I figured they would get phased out eventually.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #311 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie B /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have had the S900 and feel there is a very good phone buried under excessive bass. If you want strong bass like the K81 or similar warm phones they are worth the ~$60 they are going for now. Didn't feel it sounded better than the M750 but it is much more portable.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #312 of 4,593
Thanks jant71, i'm going to have to try the M750 soon!

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #313 of 4,593
saw the cobys for 8$ at tjmax and got em. sounds meh through an mp3 player. however, hooked up to a small amp and with some eq they are impressive for the $$. very full rich sound. the weird way the headband bends when on my medium sized head isnt confidence inspiring, but hey, its 8 bucks.

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #314 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the portable woodies by ATH and the Ultrasone Editions fall into this category for me. And maybe the B&W P5.

True. I would not risk bringing Edition 8s outside (like I can even afford one..), but I see no point in using these phones for indoors. Personally I'd just stick to one really good portable and take them everywhere and just cause its cosmetically damaged it will still sound just as good.

Besides when have we all become people who cared about looks =D (*cough* K1000 *cough* STAX Lambdas *cough* etc)

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #315 of 4,593
I just reviewed SONY MDR-Q68LW in my Best clip-ons comparison. I do not want to steal this epic thread, but rather trying to convince ljokerl to review these interesting clip-ons too. I think they are underrated and deserve more of head-fi attention. Some teaser follows:
Quote:

These have unbeatable ergonomics – they are small and light; their fit is both secure and comfy. Wires are adjustable and retractable; I like how they hide completely into the cups after I press the buttons. Hangers are soft, spring loaded and snuggle up to the pads when unused. So these SONY are very convenient to store. In contrary, other clip-ons turn into the mess in the bag or pocket – their hooks clutch at the wires and other things near by. MDR-Q68LW wires are thin and stay flexible even at - 25C; cups are small enough to fit under the winter hat. In short, SONY has a real usability winner here. This is why I always keep these cans along with Sansa clip in my message bag, listening to them at occasion, mostly at walks. See my ultraportable rig:

28247d1270378216-best-clip-ons-yuin-g1a-ath-ew9-ultramodded-ksc-35-yuin-g2a-diy-grado-clip-ons-ksc-75-mdr-q68lw-sansa-clip.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back