Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Apr 4, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #316 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
saw the cobys for 8$ at tjmax and got em. sounds meh through an mp3 player. however, hooked up to a small amp and with some eq they are impressive for the $$. very full rich sound. the weird way the headband bends when on my medium sized head isnt confidence inspiring, but hey, its 8 bucks.

It's odd but they seem to get less full-sounding over time. I thought I was tripping when I started enjoying them less and less over time. I attributed it the the fact that I went back to finish the HD25 review and obviously those leave the Cobys in the dust but I think jant agrees that they aren't quite as fun as they were from the get-go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just reviewed SONY MDR-Q68LW in my Best clip-ons comparison. I do not want to steal this epic thread, but rather trying to convince ljokerl to review these interesting clip-ons too. I think they are underrated and deserve more of head-fi attention. Some teaser follows:

Thanks, those are really cheap if you don't get them from audiocubes or accessoryjack. I'll see if I can pick up a pair once I clear the backlog (been making progress, I swear!).

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #317 of 4,593
ljokerl, MDR-Q68LW deserves to move up in priorities. Second me and let us to discover this "Masterpiece of convenience" to head-fi.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #318 of 4,593
Oh alright. The red one was only $18 from the 'zon. But no promises about publishing it in the next two weeks. I've got something a bit more interesting planned.

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #321 of 4,593
Hey joker, would you happen to know where I could get my hands on some sennheiser px200-iis in canada, be it online or instore? I really want them but can't find them anywhere for reasonable prices/shipping.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #322 of 4,593
I really don't know. Doesn't accessoryjack ship worldwide? I could be wrong on that. Maybe some Canadian head-fiers can weigh in.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #324 of 4,593
I'd like to put in a quick request for Sony MDR-V150s, just out of curiosity's sake, since 9 out of 10 pairs of 'phones I see around college are these or Sennheiser HD20-(who cares which, they're all horrible)

Purty please
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #325 of 4,593
Well, this is a second request for the MDR-V150 so I suppose I will look into it more seriously now, although my statistical baseline is already covered by the parts-express garbage. After my MDR-Q68 arrives I'll look around for a place that sells the V150 for what they're worth. That would round my backlog for this thread up to a nice tenner.

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #326 of 4,593
Thank you for the outstanding review and for linking this and the IEM multi review in your sig! It makes these easy to find, which is good because I regularly use these two reviews to recommend headphones to non-audiophiles who are interested in better sound but aren't ready to spend a lot.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #327 of 4,593
I was thinking of picking up another headphones (although I have too many already) since one of the drivers in my JVC flats broke and I really miss them. I have the KSC75 which sounds great but I am a bit more of a basshead and don't mind bloated bass. (not to mention I dislike clipons) How does the Coby cv-185 compare with the JVC flats in that respect?

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #328 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's odd but they seem to get less full-sounding over time. I thought I was tripping when I started enjoying them less and less over time. I attributed it the the fact that I went back to finish the HD25 review and obviously those leave the Cobys in the dust but I think jant agrees that they aren't quite as fun as they were from the get-go.

Wow, you are starting to scare me a bit there, dude. This is EXACTLY how I feel about the full-sized Coby CV720's. It's like they've lost bass and body over time. When I first started hearing it I was like "What? Burn in can make a phone sound worse???"

Weird.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #329 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by threi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking of picking up another headphones (although I have too many already) since one of the drivers in my JVC flats broke and I really miss them. I have the KSC75 which sounds great but I am a bit more of a basshead and don't mind bloated bass. (not to mention I dislike clipons) How does the Coby cv-185 compare with the JVC flats in that respect?

I have both and I can almost guaranty that you'll enjoy the Coby's more.

If you want to try something a little different and unknown in the same vein then try the Nippon America CD-5500's at Mat Electronics. These have replaced the Coby's for good sounding, closed beater portables for me. They are smaller, have perfect clamping pressure, look just as good, are a bit more upfront and aggressive, and oddly, have a bigger soundstage.

They're pretty awesome. Either are quite a bit better than the Flats IMO.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #330 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olimoronio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both and I can almost guaranty that you'll enjoy the Coby's more.

If you want to try something a little different and unknown in the same vein then try the Nippon America CD-5500's at Mat Electronics. These have replaced the Coby's for good sounding, closed beater portables for me. They are smaller, have perfect clamping pressure, look just as good, are a bit more upfront and aggressive, and oddly, have a bigger soundstage.

They're pretty awesome. Either are quite a bit better than the Flats IMO.

Thanks for the response, I'm in Canada though so getting my hands on those headphones would be a bit of a challenge. I just purchased the Cobys though, I loved my flats (looking at them dead in my drawer brings a tear to my eye) so if what you say is true I will love them as well. They look awesome in pics so I can't wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back