Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Nov 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #92 of 4,593
I have a KSC75 on Sansa Clip, like it but looking to upgrade because I feel that it is too bright, lack of bass quantity and 0% isolation. I have targeted RE0, G2A or K518 as they isolate better than KSC75. I hope to get some help to compare them with KSC75 based on bass and soundstage.

RE0 is the best of this group of 4, I hesitated getting one because imo its lack of bass quantity. I am guessing assume that,
Bass quantity: K518 > G2A >= KSC75 > RE0
Bass quality: RE0 > G2A > K518 > KSC75
Soundstage: G2A > K518 >= KSC75 >= RE0
Please comment and let me know your opinion. Thanks.

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #93 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hope your review comparison for IEMs not delay or stop your portable headphones review

So do I, man, so do I... But realistically I am afraid it will
redface.gif
. My time is very limited during the school quarter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifmy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a KSC75 on Sansa Clip, like it but looking to upgrade because I feel that it is too bright, lack of bass quantity and 0% isolation. I have targeted RE0, G2A or K518 as they isolate better than KSC75. I hope to get some help to compare them with KSC75 based on bass and soundstage.

RE0 is the best of this group of 4, I hesitated getting one because imo its lack of bass quantity. I am guessing assume that,
Bass quantity: K518 > G2A >= KSC75 > RE0
Bass quality: RE0 > G2A > K518 > KSC75
Soundstage: G2A > K518 >= KSC75 >= RE0
Please comment and let me know your opinion. Thanks.

That looks about right to me except the soundstage of the K518. I would rate it equal to or below the RE0, with the KSC75 above both. The K518 is, after all, a closed can, and it sounds like it. The new JVC HA-M750 are a little wider-sounding than the K518dj, and, though they lack the pure bass impact, make up for it in quality. You may want to consider them. For more isolation there's also their progenitor, the HA-S700, though I haven't spent too much time with that model yet.

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #94 of 4,593
This question is a bit off topic, but have you accumulated all those headphones in less than a year? Seems like an awful lot to collect (certainly not a bad thing though)

Really enjoyed reading the reviews on both this and your iem post, very informative!

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #95 of 4,593
mogeansai, he probably just ordered, tested and sent 'em back?

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #97 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by mogeansai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This question is a bit off topic, but have you accumulated all those headphones in less than a year? Seems like an awful lot to collect (certainly not a bad thing though)

Really enjoyed reading the reviews on both this and your iem post, very informative!

Thanks. I had about a dozen headphones before my official join date, but only three of them are featured in this review. The rest I have accumulated in the last year, yes. A lot of them get sold off after 3-4 months; some are keepers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mogeansai, he probably just ordered, tested and sent 'em back?

Hah, nope. Didn't do that for any of the phones in either of my threads. The ones that I simply try for a day or two aren't even listed in my profile
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamekiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like Portapro than PX100. Portapro is dark and Px100 is bright, i dont like the bass of Px100, it so light for me

Matter of preference and subject of never-ending debate here on head-fi. I admit that both are excellent phones but personally prefer the Senns.

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #98 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ifmy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a KSC75 on Sansa Clip, like it but looking to upgrade because I feel that it is too bright, lack of bass quantity and 0% isolation.

JVC S650

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #99 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamekiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like Portapro than PX100. Portapro is dark and Px100 is bright, i dont like the bass of Px100, it so light for me

The px100's aren't bright and they have too much bass..

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #100 of 4,593
Very nice review.
I have been a fan of Koss Porta Pro. They are great for the price, I always keep coming back to them, even having a Senn HD595.
smily_headphones1.gif
Portable, easier to drive, etc.
I will try a Senn PX100 some of these days, though. It won't hurt having another portable phone.
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #101 of 4,593
Re-scaled all of the ratings to accommodate higher-class phones (yes, they are coming). Also color-coded the chart. Hope you guys like. Any suggestions for improvement are welcome - I don't claim to be a graphic designer. I did save it as a png this time to prevent the jpeg compression artifacts
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHPC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice review.
I have been a fan of Koss Porta Pro. They are great for the price, I always keep coming back to them, even having a Senn HD595.
smily_headphones1.gif
Portable, easier to drive, etc.
I will try a Senn PX100 some of these days, though. It won't hurt having another portable phone.
wink.gif

Thanks. It never hurts to have more portable phones
tongue.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #102 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re-scaled all of the ratings to accommodate higher-class phones (yes, they are coming). Also color-coded the chart. Hope you guys like. Any suggestions for improvement are welcome - I don't claim to be a graphic designer. I did save it as a png this time to prevent the jpeg compression artifacts
wink.gif

LQQKS GR8.

I use Goldring DR 150 as my Portable,,,I'm LQQKING for something under $300.00 that sounds good for Blues and Rock and is more Portable in size as compared to the DR's, I don't like the feel of any in ear, can't wait to read your reviews on the HEP's.

LQQK

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #104 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re-scaled all of the ratings to accommodate higher-class phones (yes, they are coming).

Ooh, can't wait! I'm pleasantly surprised the Yuin scored so high with the adjusted scores. I'm curious to see how the HD 25-1 IIs average out, as I've heard from some (and you) they're not the most comfortable of phones, they're a bit pricier, and they isolate leaps and bounds above the ones mentioned.

Also, a minor suggestion, if you made the chart in Excel, you could sort by rank or value. Or, you could list them in the order reviewed? It's not a big thing, but I was interested in knowing the order of the items in the chart.

Nov 21, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #105 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh, can't wait! I'm pleasantly surprised the Yuin scored so high with the adjusted scores. I'm curious to see how the HD 25-1 IIs average out, as I've heard from some (and you) they're not the most comfortable of phones, they're a bit pricier, and they isolate leaps and bounds above the ones mentioned.

Also, a minor suggestion, if you made the chart in Excel, you could sort by rank or value. Or, you could list them in the order reviewed? It's not a big thing, but I was interested in knowing the order of the items in the chart.

Thanks. Chart order is currently based on personal preference. I could easily sort them any other way (and probably will when more stuff is added) but couldn't decide on the best attribute to use. I keep on meaning to get back to the portables review (now 9 headphones behind on it) but other stuff keeps getting in the way. Will certainly get it done over winter break but I hope to add at least one or two earlier than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back