Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Sep 4, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #61 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool review group. I'm surprised I never ran across this thread earlier, but I made it for the update.
tongue.gif
Budget headphones is a great choice to cover.

Thanks. The thread was buried quickly the first time around. Seems to be more popular now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't read this thread but I find it funny that the title has a 56K warning in it. Do people still use 56K modems?! I can't imagine how long even the homepage of a site like head-fi.org (or any other modern website) would take to load on that slow of a connection!

I use 56k on occasion, such as from my grandparents' house where there is no 3G coverage. Photos aren't a problem for me since I use Opera Turbo, but I've seen a lot of flaming of people for reposting photos in quotes, so I figured it was a nice warning to include. What irks me is when people post unresized photos taken with their 10 megapixel cameras on the FS forums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahaha, (##7) Parts-Express Mini Headphones. I recognized those as soon as I saw them since I bought a couple pairs to use the headband for my ksc75s. I think it's hilarious (in a good way) that someone would review those, and I agree completely with worst sounding headphone I have ever heard. I'm not sure they're marketed for anything but voice/speech, etc., but they even suck for that. thanks, you made my day.
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks, I did consider taking them out of the review but left them in as a change of pace. They do suck horribly and will never see the light of day again as long as I live.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will say this though, on symphonic black metal, both the ES55 and ES7 did a better job. On the other cans, the aggressive guitars and drums sounded rather muddled. I sort of preferred to ES55 because it was a) cheaper, and b) less bassy (never thought I would say that!).

ES55 are quite pricy here from what I can see. 20x the price of the Flats
tongue.gif
. My ES7's are awaiting their turn on the burn-in rig. Review coming in a few weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent reviews of each of those 'phones. It's helped me narrow down my next headphone purchase (KSC75 vs. PX100).
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
wink.gif
. It really comes down to personal preference between the two. You should be making the decision based on your preferred sound signature and the music genres you listen to - for rock/metal the KSC75's win hands down. For classical, jazz, and blues I'd pick the PX100s. I really can't say one is a better headphone than the other. I have owned both for a long time and both get lots of use.

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #62 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by jung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Yuin makes a headband version of G2A, with more isolation, maybe it can be an ES7 killer.

Has anyone tried G2A with PX200 pad and the cheap headband?

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #64 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ES55 are quite pricy here from what I can see. 20x the price of the Flats
tongue.gif
. My ES7's are awaiting their turn on the burn-in rig. Review coming in a few weeks.

One thing is the JVC Flats aren't exactly as cheap here - certainly not US$5. As I stated earlier, it was an impulse buy thing getting the ES55 ... I find that retail prices are comparatively cheaper here but on the other hand, we don't often get those low prices online (or rather most people still get stuff direct from retail outlets). Or maybe I'm just not a smart shopper and have no patience for waiting
eek.gif

Currently doing burn in. Comfort wise, though, it clamps down more than PX100. Hopefully, with a bit of use, the pressure will ease off a bit. One of the primary reasons I went for something more pricey is better build quality and AT's don't disappoint there. The cord is definite more tangle free than those on cheaper cans, though it could do with more stress relief on both ends. They also seem to easier to drive to decent volume than the PX100.

On the other hand, the cans don't seem to be forgiving to poor recordings. Don't now whether this is a pro or a con yet.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #66 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ifmy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comprehensive and interesting... I hope to buy some... thanks.

Welcome to Head-Fi, and as they say, sorry to your wallet. I noticed the "hope to buy some"
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #67 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by jung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried G2A with PX200 pad and the cheap headband?

I've tried them with the cheap headband and the result is the same as with the KSC75 headband mod - passable, but not stellar. The cups are too heavy for the headband and it doesn't provide enough clamping force. Will not cope with headbanging but ok for a short sit-down listen.

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #70 of 4,593
I'm among the crowd that finds the iGrados very comfortable. I mean, the fit is just perfect for me, very snug and tight around my head without being too much so.

I also liked the stock KSC75's as good portable earphones for the money, though they broke on me after a few months of use.

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #71 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a fantastic review, well done that man.

Thanks
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by anime_earth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
add in FC700!

Someday, if I manage to get my hands on one on the cheap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiddenninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm among the crowd that finds the iGrados very comfortable. I mean, the fit is just perfect for me, very snug and tight around my head without being too much so.

Well, there had to be someone who found them comfortable. I can't imagine headphones designed so poorly that they were uncomfortable for everyone. Congrats on actually being able to use one of the better-sounding budget portables
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #73 of 4,593
joker, I just found this guide of yours! Good stuff! If I ever get to replace the old Koss cans on the family PC, I'll know where to look for advice.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #74 of 4,593
Another headphone added. Followed up on my idea of testing a random big electronics brand headphone against the audiophile top picks by digging an old Philips clip-on out of my electronic junk box. My curiosity is now satisfied and I managed to stay under the 10,000 word limit in the main post (but only just!).

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.IIZUKA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice review !
I like AKG K24p.
Keep reviewing in the future.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
joker, I just found this guide of yours! Good stuff! If I ever get to replace the old Koss cans on the family PC, I'll know where to look for advice.

Thanks
atsmile.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #75 of 4,593
This is a great resource. Thanks for writing such a detailed and valuable guide, it's given me some ideas for birthday gifts for some dormmates.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back