Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jan 10, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #4,577 of 4,593
Given you don't like the WH-1000mx2 the PXC550 would be a good option then. It's noise cancelling is adjustable and is not as aggressive. But I found it took a bit of use to reach its maximum comfort level.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #4,578 of 4,593
I referenced my iem’s but I also have the Sony 1000MkII phones. I tested them and the infamous Bose. Best Buy had the Senn’s but they weren’t charged so I couldn’t test the noise canceling. The Sony’s won for comfort and features. I couldn’t hear a big difference in my preferred sound, classical and 60’s jazz. Noise canceling is outstanding though.

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #4,581 of 4,593
Guys, I have a dillema I can't find an answer to: Momentum 2 over ear (wired) or Sony MDR-1am2? I've just auditioned the Sonys, and liked the sound very much (though with my ipod at higher volume some distortion occured). I cannot compare them directly against Momentum 2, but I did audition them in the past. This is the main issue: which are better sonic-wise (that's my priority, but both of them are very comfy and foldable)? I will be using them for commuting/travelling.
Thanks in advance if anyone has any thoughts.

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #4,582 of 4,593
I'd just like to sincerely thank @ljokerl for this amazing resource. Years ago, after my go-to (cheap) headphones broke and I decided to get something higher end, this was instrumental in the process of determining my options and finding a nice pair of headphones that I'd really enjoy. Cheers to you and the incredible service that you have offered here!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #4,583 of 4,593
Great work, very informative!

I just bought my ultimate portable headphones, was searching for a long time. The Ultrasone Signature Pro. Amazing sound, foldable, very durable and sturdy, good cable and don't need a lot of power. They are the best foldable full sized headphones I've seen so far.

Surprised that they don't get more love. Guess the high price at launch was a factor. They are now way cheaper, but still pricey.

Mar 13, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #4,587 of 4,593
Hi, any one could recommend me some on ear headphones that dont have sub bass, I dont want boomy bass at all, I mostly listen to indie rock so I dont like when I hear the drums and the bass being boomy
The Beyerdynamic DT1350 is an on-ear portable headphone with a rather dry bass response that is not boosted. The classic Sennheiser HD-25 might work as well.

Mar 13, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #4,588 of 4,593
The Beyerdynamic DT1350 is an on-ear portable headphone with a rather dry bass response that is not boosted. The classic Sennheiser HD-25 might work as well.
Thanks for your reply, I've read that the hd25 is made for Djs so, it might be boomy dont you think?
I read all the reviews in this thread and they said that the grado sr 60 and the marshall major sub bass extention is dry, any other recommendation?

Mar 13, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #4,589 of 4,593
Thanks for your reply, I've read that the hd25 is made for Djs so, it might be boomy dont you think?
I read all the reviews in this thread and they said that the grado sr 60 and the marshall major sub bass extention is dry, any other recommendation?
The HD25 is a monitoring headphone not specifically made for DJ use. It is often used by DJs due to its isolation, robustness and overall sound, but it’s not one of those so-called DJ headphones that just drown the rest of the spectrum in undefined bass. It does have a bit of a midbass emphasis, but it’s not boomy.

Personally I’d never recommend any Grado model I know… to me they all look cheap, I dislike their interpretation of sound and they are really uncomfortable to me (not that the DT1350 is really comfortable though). Plus an open on-ear… what for? Uncomfortable plus no isolation is not a use case I have :wink: yet they have a following obviously, so for some they just seem to fit much better than with my needs. You might want to try them out, generally they are well liked with Rock music.

The Marshal I don’t know.

Mar 13, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #4,590 of 4,593
The HD25 is a monitoring headphone not specifically made for DJ use. It is often used by DJs due to its isolation, robustness and overall sound, but it’s not one of those so-called DJ headphones that just drown the rest of the spectrum in undefined bass. It does have a bit of a midbass emphasis, but it’s not boomy.

Personally I’d never recommend any Grado model I know… to me they all look cheap, I dislike their interpretation of sound and they are really uncomfortable to me (not that the DT1350 is really comfortable though). Plus an open on-ear… what for? Uncomfortable plus no isolation is not a use case I have :wink: yet they have a following obviously, so for some they just seem to fit much better than with my needs. You might want to try them out, generally they are well liked with Rock music.

The Marshal I don’t know.
So "boomy sounds" are located in the sub bass, and in the midbass and upper bass frequencies are located the kick drums?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back