Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #826 of 4,593
I'm looking forward to the DJ cans review. I've got a comparison thread between the 840/M50/Q40/HDJ2000, though only the Pioneer is a "DJ" can while the rest are more of a studio design (tomayto tomahto).

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #827 of 4,593
question for coby[size=10pt] CV-185 owners, would grado drivers/cups fit into that headband?
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #829 of 4,593
You all should bribe ljokerl into just putting up his latest reviews early before his headphones sell. I doubt anyone will care. Not like he's handing out free '10' ratings to get them to sell faster
regular_smile .gif

Can't wait to see the new reviews.

Did you really end up reviewing the M50? Wasn't sure if that was true or not.

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #832 of 4,593
Quote:
How many times have you lost more than that on a pair of junk phones, ljokerl? Don't judge all Sentry's because of my hatred for the Marshmallows.

Many. In fact, I'm sitting here right now in a pair of IEMs grounded so poorly that they're shocking my ears.

Quote:
You all should bribe ljokerl into just putting up his latest reviews early before his headphones sell. I doubt anyone will care. Not like he's handing out free '10' ratings to get them to sell faster
regular_smile .gif

Can't wait to see the new reviews.

Did you really end up reviewing the M50? Wasn't sure if that was true or not.

Yeah, I reviewed the M50. I like them a lot but I don't get people saying that they don't benefit from an amp. They get maybe 85% there with a portable player but it's the other 15% that make them special..

Quote:
This are rebranded Audio-Technicas Onto?

Which?

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #833 of 4,593
I have read a lot about the M50s around here, still i wont buy them, why so little reviews about ATH M40fs?

does the portable amp does that much of a difference? i dont have one, fiio e5 is only 23$ in amazon but i really dont feel like i need it, unless it really enhance the sound, but i doubt it.

|jor-kal-el| are the high end portables you mention the m50's? I'm curious

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #834 of 4,593
I found the M50 to be a pretty good buy at the going price. I found the J3 did a pretty decent job but it wasn't optimal compared to something that can provide a bit more power.

Also I really wouldn't bother with an E5

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #835 of 4,593
Quote:
I have read a lot about the M50s around here, still i wont buy them, why so little reviews about ATH M40fs?

does the portable amp does that much of a difference? i dont have one, fiio e5 is only 23$ in amazon but i really dont feel like i need it, unless it really enhance the sound, but i doubt it.

|jor-kal-el| are the high end portables you mention the m50's? I'm curious

The M40fs is relatively new, at least compared to the M30 and M50. Plus the M50 isn't all that expensive so going for a lower-end model makes little sense for most people.
And no, the M50 is one of the DJ cans I mentioned. The portables are something else.

Quote:
I found the M50 to be a pretty good buy at the going price. I found the J3 did a pretty decent job but it wasn't optimal compared to something that can provide a bit more power.

Also I really wouldn't bother with an E5

Agreed on both counts. E5 is a good toy/gadget but it is by no means a substitute for a decent amp, especially not for a full-size headphone. It does admittedly work well with something moderately that just needs a little extra kick (head-direct RE2 is a good example).

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #836 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:
How many times have you lost more than that on a pair of junk phones, ljokerl? Don't judge all Sentry's because of my hatred for the Marshmallows.

Many. In fact, I'm sitting here right now in a pair of IEMs grounded so poorly that they're shocking my ears.

That never happened to me with a pair of Sentry's lol

Seriously though, I really do hope you find the time to review those Maxell Juicy Tunes IEM's I recommended. It has NOTHING to do with them being Maxell they just sound really good for the price... $10 @ Kmart

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #838 of 4,593
But the m30 are half of the price of the m50, right?

i keep reading good reviews about JVC budget 'phones so i went for the flats, i gotta say Im pleased. tho i would appreciate more bass.

between jvc flats of ath fc700 who would win?

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #839 of 4,593
Quote:

Sure looks like them but it's not like a rebranded ONTO is something to strive for.

Quote:
But the m30 are half of the price of the m50, right?

i keep reading good reviews about JVC budget 'phones so i went for the flats, i gotta say Im pleased. tho i would appreciate more bass.

between jvc flats of ath fc700 who would win?

Yes, the M30 makes sense especially since it sounds completely different from the M50. Flats are nice for $20 but I'd be surprised if the FC700 isn't better since the MSRP is like $80 (not that that's a guarantee of anything). The $10 Coby CV185 has more bass than the Flats without sounding worse overall.

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #840 of 4,593

Quote:
Yeah, I reviewed the M50. I like them a lot but I don't get people saying that they don't benefit from an amp. They get maybe 85% there with a portable player but it's the other 15% that make them special..  

I'm one of the ones that doesn't hear much improvement... I've tried the M50 with a whole range of portable and desktop amps and the improvements I hear are only marginal compared to other cans in its genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back