Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 17, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #796 of 4,593
I'm thinking of getting a set of Kanen KM-880 to fit my Sony v150 drivers in them (i like how they sound and its broken), and prolly changing the headband, since i read it was uncomfy, and damn those wooden cups looks OK. ... what do you suggest?

Oct 17, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #797 of 4,593

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting a set of Kanen KM-880 to fit my Sony v150 drivers in them (i like how they sound and its broken), and prolly changing the headband, since i read it was uncomfy, and damn those wooden cups looks OK. ... what do you suggest?

Jsut make sure that the cup volumes are the same or near the same. If the Kanen's are bigger fill them up with Deflex panels.

Oct 17, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #799 of 4,593
Quote:
Theres a lot of Metal in the XB500? I'm wearing them right now and they are mainly plastic.

Well any amount of metal is technically much greater than zero (as on the Subjekts) but I do think that the XB500 is metal where it matters - at the common fracture points near the cup attachment. I certainly had no qualms about throwing around the XB500s back when I had them but I'm not so confident in the Subjekts.

Interestingly the Earpollution Throwbax are a much more faithful replica of the Panasonic RP-HTX but still lack the solidity of the structure. The most noticeable difference, though, is the fact that the cups are just colored plastic whereas the HTX7 has a nice 'ceramic paint' finish. 

Quote:

Well, it's the only logical use for a KM-880 but only if you really like wood. Otherwise I'd be tempted to find something more comfortable. ourfpshero performed surgery on his KM880 as well though he used 40mm JVC drivers. His exploits are documented here.

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #800 of 4,593
Quote:
Jsut make sure that the cup volumes are the same or near the same. If the Kanen's are bigger fill them up with Deflex panels.

The v150 looks totally flat, and the 880 cup, im gonna have to take that into consideration, thank you.

Quote:
Well, it's the only logical use for a KM-880 but only if you really like wood. Otherwise I'd be tempted to find something more comfortable. ourfpshero performed surgery on his KM880 as well though he used 40mm JVC drivers. His exploits are documented here.

You really really dislike how they sound dont you?
biggrin.gif
and i do like that wood cup.
And that surgery shows that the JVC drivers are 40mm, and the v150 is 30mm.

after a little google search i found this:

I dont think they would fit in the 880 cans ... the inner "housing" isnt it?.

Anyone think the cause worth sacrifice my KSC75?

Or as Joker said, i might look for something more, this is just a hobby after all. JCV HA x570 or Sony mdr xd100 maybe. I'll be nice to find some cans with a decent 40mm driver and a fitting headband for the 880

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #801 of 4,593
My intial impression of the XB500's was that they were not a very solidly built set and then I put them on and I noticed the genius of their design, they lock down when they stretch out. Still I'm not seeing where the metal is see how it must be incased in plastic but they aren't flimsy at all.

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #802 of 4,593

Quote:
The v150 looks totally flat, and the 880 cup, im gonna have to take that into consideration, thank you.

You really really dislike how they sound dont you?
biggrin.gif
and i do like that wood cup.

And that surgery shows that the JVC drivers are 40mm, and the v150 is 30mm.

after a little google search i found this:

I dont think they would fit in the 880 cans ... the inner "housing" isnt it?.

Anyone think the cause worth sacrifice my KSC75?

Or as Joker said, i might look for something more, this is just a hobby after all. JCV HA x570 or Sony mdr xd100 maybe. I'll be nice to find some cans with a decent 40mm driver and a fitting headband for the 880

[size=10pt]I haven't tried it myself but the KSC's supposedly sound REALLY bad in a closed enclosure. The Kanen's are sealed, right? So unless you're ready to take a drill to them and add some mesh or something I'd leave the KSC's out.
Maybe try the driver in the Sportapro.
[/size]

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #803 of 4,593
Ah, no not encased in plastic. The headband bits that the screws for the cup attachments go through are anodized aluminum:

You can see that the Subjekts are all-plastic and missing those two screws. The cups are just held by little plastic pegs:

Quote:
My intial impression of the XB500's was that they were not a very solidly built set and then I put them on and I noticed the genius of their design, they lock down when they stretch out. Still I'm not seeing where the metal is see how it must be incased in plastic but they aren't flimsy at all.

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #804 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:
Theres a lot of Metal in the XB500? I'm wearing them right now and they are mainly plastic.

Well any amount of metal is technically much greater than zero (as on the Subjekts) but I do think that the XB500 is metal where it matters - at the common fracture points near the cup attachment. I certainly had no qualms about throwing around the XB500s back when I had them but I'm not so confident in the Subjekts.

Interestingly the Earpollution Throwbax are a much more faithful replica of the Panasonic RP-HTX but still lack the solidity of the structure. The most noticeable difference, though, is the fact that the cups are just colored plastic whereas the HTX7 has a nice 'ceramic paint' finish. 

Quote:

on the throwbax, i find it uncomfy, the headband exert too much force on the top of the head and its too clampy, the pads too hard and already crack after 6 months

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #805 of 4,593
Though the screws re integral to the design I wasn't  counting that on the fact that they are less then 1% of the construction, but I guess that little elblow before the cup is metal I can't really even tell and I'm holding them  touching that part as I type this.

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #806 of 4,593

Quote:

[size=10pt]I haven't tried it myself but the KSC's supposedly sound REALLY bad in a closed enclosure. The Kanen's are sealed, right? So unless you're ready to take a drill to them and add some mesh or something I'd leave the KSC's out.
Maybe try the driver in the Sportapro.
[/size]

I cant find info about the driver in sportapro but i guess is same sa KSC, 30 mm, i have never done 'phones surgery, does a 30mm driver fit into a 40mm housing?

Joker, here's one question (hope im not bothering much) which Koss cushions would fit in the 880 cans but at the same time have bigger outer cushion? Koss sells all its ear cushions on their website at 5$, pretty cool, i like the QZ99, is like sealed rubber and appears to be filled with something soft. but they are not round.

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #807 of 4,593
Quote:
I cant find info about the driver in sportapro but i guess is same sa KSC, 30 mm, i have never done 'phones surgery, does a 30mm driver fit into a 40mm housing?  
Joker, here's one question (hope im not bothering much) which Koss cushions would fit in the 880 cans but at the same time have bigger outer cushion? Koss sells all its ear cushions on their website at 5$, pretty cool, i like the QZ99, is like sealed rubber and appears to be filled with something soft. but they are not round.

You may have trouble mounting a 30mm driver in a 40mm enclosure. The SportaPro drivers should be identical or very similar to PortaPro/KSC35 drivers.

I don't know which Koss cushions would fit the KM880. The cups on those are about 2.5-3" in diameter - I don't suppose Koss lists pad diameters on their site, do they?

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #809 of 4,593
No updates to this thread for a while as I've been working on a few lengthy ones and have been busy with other stuff. Added a pair of dimestore phones in the meantime since I'm committed to reviewing the bad as well as the good. 

Oct 23, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #810 of 4,593
It's no wonder the sentry headphones are sub-par. I just took a peak at their website, and lo and behold, they sell 55! different models. With that much variety, they must simply pick some random OEM enclosure, and slap another random OEM driver into it. Seriously, with that many models I have to wonder how the company avoids undercutting their own products.
http://www.sentryindustries.com/category/headphones/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back