Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 23, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #811 of 4,593
^Edit (since edit function doesn't work in this thread):
Also, keeping in mind that many of the models have different colors, and it becomes even more ridiculous.

Oct 23, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #812 of 4,593
Heh, but they seem to have a few interesting ones like the full-sized transparent one, or the ones "with subwoofer":
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #813 of 4,593
Quote:
It's no wonder the sentry headphones are sub-par. I just took a peak at their website, and lo and behold, they sell 55! different models. With that much variety, they must simply pick some random OEM enclosure, and slap another random OEM driver into it. Seriously, with that many models I have to wonder how the company avoids undercutting their own products.
http://www.sentryindustries.com/category/headphones/

Yeah.. they've got nothing on Audio-Technica. Last I checked AT easily broke 100 models.

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #814 of 4,593
I'd be curious how the Sentry 880CD's (50mm drivers) or 890TV (57mm drivers!) sound. The close up pic of the TV's appears to show perforated metal mesh, so they might be open. They also have a 20ft cord, What were they thinking. I guess it's long enough for their intended purpose as TV phones.

I'm not sure if the $20-25 price tag would warrant the experiment though.

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #815 of 4,593
I believe the 890TV 16 ft cable is an extension (?)

the HO10C looks sweet, but i think they pads might be too hot as the descriptions says "Deluxe full size stereo heatphone made of clear plastic" 
biggrin.gif

Joker thanks for keep adding stuff, i wouldnt buy any of those new additions thanks to you.

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #816 of 4,593
Yeah I just noticed that on their site. 4ft cable with 16ft extension. I know for a fact I'd never be using the extension. I might cave in and buy the 890TV's, something makes me want to think the 57mm drivers won't sound too bad. IMO the larger the driver, the easier it is for it to sound good. I don't think I've heard a pair of headphones so far with a horrible sounding 50mm+ driver.

A nice looking pair of drivers might work with the 10C, but it's hard to tell how strong that plastic is from the pics.

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #817 of 4,593
Wierd, could not edit my post. Instead I got a "id not provided to bulkloadable class" error. Anyway, FWIW, the 648CD's are also transparent, but are earpad style.

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #819 of 4,593
Quote:
I'd be curious how the Sentry 880CD's (50mm drivers) or 890TV (57mm drivers!) sound. The close up pic of the TV's appears to show perforated metal mesh, so they might be open. They also have a 20ft cord, What were they thinking. I guess it's long enough for their intended purpose as TV phones.

I'm not sure if the $20-25 price tag would warrant the experiment though.

FYI Koss makes a whole lineup of clear phones that probably sound better than the Sentry ones. A couple of them can be found here. The CL-20 looks decent. There was also a circumaural CL-80 at some point though I can't find it anywhere outside prison catalogs. Seems that many of these clear headphones (and other clear electronics) are sold to prisons to make searches & checks easier.

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #822 of 4,593
Quote:
Mr Joker, what are you reviewing next?

Two budget portables, five DJ cans, and one high-end portable
tongue.gif
. Those are all done actually but I'm held up by my sale threads as I try to sell off my gear before publishing reviews (for ethical reasons). 

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #823 of 4,593
[size=10pt]Oh, you wanted to review the Coby CV-163. I've owned those for a while now, I could have told you they were pretty much crap. I actually much prefer the CV-H42 beater phones.[/size]

[size=10pt]For some reason I was thinking you wanted to review the CV-135's. Just got them several days ago and not sure what to think about them. I haven't done a direct comparison with the CV-185's yet but just from memory - if the 185's err towards the warm side of things then the 135's are their polar opposite. As a matter of fact, until I burned these in for about a week I couldn't even bear to listen to them at moderate levels. Extremely bright and sibilant. Now they sound OK and I do like the way they look but I definitely prefer the 185's.[/size]

[size=10pt]And before everyone trashes Sentry - I have never once heard a pair of their over-the -ear phones that was worth listening to. However, since mentioning the Metalix and the Woodens I have heard close to a couple dozen Sentry IEM's that trash those two. If you have a Big Lots! nearby I recommend stopping by and giving a couple pairs of Sentry IEM's a chance. At $5 a piece what do you have to lose?[/size]

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #825 of 4,593

Users who are viewing this thread

Back