Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Apr 20, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #361 of 4,593
I think the Cobys loosen up a bit over time. Or maybe you just get used to them. With foam pads (much thinner than the Pleather pads) they didn't fit me very tightly at all. And yes, the midrange coming forward happens with the foam pads too, for the reason stated.

Good point about the size, probably hard to tell from the pics, though the 3.5mm plug is a bit of an tell-tale for size comparisons. I might add a 'cup diameter' spec to the reviews later on.

Glad you like the sound.

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #362 of 4,593
I think Joker likened them to the flats soundwise for his under $10 favorites. As for size Joker and I compared them to the Denon P372.

The Coby take 2 and 3/4" diameter pads and they are the next size up from the ultra-minis like the Slimz, Flats, and PX200-II.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #365 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heya, Joker, the title says that you updated the roundup with the M30's on April 11th of 2009, which you might wanna change...

Fair point, thanks
wink.gif
. Must've been like that for the past 4 months.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #366 of 4,593
btw joker, if you've heard the px100-IIs, how would you say they compare to the original, and to the 200-IIs?

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #368 of 4,593
The Coby's do not sound like the Flats at all IMO. The Flats are "clearer" sounding but lack bass. The Coby's are more "fun" sounding and have nice, punchy bass.

What you prefer is just a matter of taste. If I needed a portable to do some monitoring with I'd probably choose the Flats over the Coby's. For everyday listening though, I'd choose the Coby's every time.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #369 of 4,593
I have another question: Is the horizontal swivel supposed to be so stiff on the Cobys? I have to physically move them around, something I don't have to do with any other pairs of headphones I own. Maybe it's just mine?

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #370 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaieger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw joker, if you've heard the px100-IIs, how would you say they compare to the original, and to the 200-IIs?

Nope, have not heard the PX100-II.

Quote:

Originally Posted by threi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have another question: Is the horizontal swivel supposed to be so stiff on the Cobys? I have to physically move them around, something I don't have to do with any other pairs of headphones I own. Maybe it's just mine?

The pair I had was broken in pretty well and the cups rotated freely, but not loosely by any means. The plastics on the Cobys are pretty hard so give them some time to wear in.

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #371 of 4,593
I put in a vote for the koss ktx pro1 for your next review. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot on this phone around the head fi community and apparently it has ksc75 drivers in it.

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #372 of 4,593
Phiaton MS400 added
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dspang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put in a vote for the koss ktx pro1 for your next review. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot on this phone around the head fi community and apparently it has ksc75 drivers in it.

KSC75 drivers are exactly why I haven't cared enough to try them. Perhaps in the (not too near) future..

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #373 of 4,593
It has UR40 drivers inside, these are used in some other models also. They are slightly better than KSC-75 drivers, but KTX Pro1 headband and overall construction are stiff, incomfortable and do not allow for proper on ear placement. So sound is compromised by wrong fit, this is why KSC-75/PortaPro/SportaPro are better. KTX Pro1 does not worth a time to review.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #375 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
love the design of phiaton ms400

x2. Don't normally care much for headphones (vs. IEMs), but these do look classy. Thanks for your great review!
o2smile.gif

BTW the numbering of your detailed description should read (A4) instead of (A3).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back