Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Dec 5, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #2,686 of 4,593
Ok, hi. I'm on the market again, this time I'm looking for headphones. I don't want them to be too big because I'd need a more expensive AMP.  Taking on count my source is a Sansa Clip+ (Rockboxed), what's my best shot if I want:

- Big Soundstage
- Clear Mids
- Non harsh high end.
- I'd like to have a nice low end sound. Some sub-bas and whatnot.
- Isolation doesn't matter.
- If possible, a nice design.
- Under $200.

I currently own a pair of Klipsch S4s, so I'd really like to have clear mids (the S4s completley eat up the mid range). Given my source, I think an AMP would be needed. I was thinking on getting the FiiO E6, but I suppose it won't be enough to handle anything else than the S4s. Feel free to suggest a nice amp that could work with both the S4 and the new headphones.

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #2,687 of 4,593
I got the ZX700 today and I'm enjoying the silky mids.  This thing is smooth sounding headphone but ...

yes

I know

my credibility is about to go out the window

I found myself going for my new XB500s more

I think it's just a phase though, as soon as I get tired of electronic/hip-hop/pop stuff, I'll be back to more critical listening (piano + XB500 = fail)

but for right now, both sit at my desk.  This is awesome.

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #2,688 of 4,593

Quote:
I got the ZX700 today and I'm enjoying the silky mids.  This thing is smooth sounding headphone but ...

yes

I know

my credibility is about to go out the window

I found myself going for my new XB500s more

I think it's just a phase though, as soon as I get tired of electronic/hip-hop/pop stuff, I'll be back to more critical listening (piano + XB500 = fail)

but for right now, both sit at my desk.  This is awesome.

To each his own. Remember, it's what your ears want, always ask you ears. Who cares about credibility. Your ear lobes laugh in the face of credibility. Mwuhahaha! >Lion King nooob<......

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #2,689 of 4,593

Quote:
Ok, hi. I'm on the market again, this time I'm looking for headphones. I don't want them to be too big because I'd need a more expensive AMP.  Taking on count my source is a Sansa Clip+ (Rockboxed), what's my best shot if I want:

- Big Soundstage
- Clear Mids
- Non harsh high end.
- I'd like to have a nice low end sound. Some sub-bas and whatnot.
- Isolation doesn't matter.
- If possible, a nice design.
- Under $200.

I currently own a pair of Klipsch S4s, so I'd really like to have clear mids (the S4s completley eat up the mid range). Given my source, I think an AMP would be needed. I was thinking on getting the FiiO E6, but I suppose it won't be enough to handle anything else than the S4s. Feel free to suggest a nice amp that could work with both the S4 and the new headphones.

There is no need to amp the S4 so I'd get a portable that doesn't need an amp either. If you're comfortable with supraaurals, the M-80 does fit the bill. If you want to spend less, there's always the CAL!.

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #2,690 of 4,593
There should be an excel grid for that... of some kind of way to sort the numbers according to our priority (value / sound / isolation etc.)

Is there?

You can also use ctrl+f (for example) "Sound (9" or "Build quality (10" but you don't get a good sense of relation between the variables, for example if you want to find out the best Sound/Value ratio.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #2,691 of 4,593

Quote:

There is no need to amp the S4 so I'd get a portable that doesn't need an amp either. If you're comfortable with supraaurals, the M-80 does fit the bill. If you want to spend less, there's always the CAL!.

Well, believe it or not, once I tried the FiiO E5 with the S4 and it did made a difference. Everything came to life, I got a much richer sound.

I'll llok up your recomendations, thanks!

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #2,692 of 4,593
@Joker,

thanks for guiding me to the CAL (Creative Aurvana Live). I enjoy it straight out of box and straight out of Iphone 3GS. It is no amped LCD-2s or amped DT-880s and the bass is a bit loose (will MarkL mod them). But hey, for a sub $80 portable, I have no complaint. Tonal balance, overall realism and soundstage are good enough for portable.

I saw that you gave a sound rating of 9 to V-moda M-80 vs 8.5 to CAL, so I am interested in M-80 as well (no doubt M-80 offers better build and æsthetics). Would you please give a quick sound comparison, maybe just fill in and replace the ?s:

Overall realism: CAL ? M-80
Soundstage: CAL ? M-80
Instrument separation: CAL ? M-80
Treble: CAL > M-80
Mid: CAL ? M-80
Bass: CAL ? M-80

And whoever owns both please also comment on the cup size: if CAL is semi-circumaural for me, will M-80 be the same or smaller for my ears?  The lowest portions of my ear lope can not be covered by CAL, but it does not seems to affect the sound or comfort that much. Thanks!

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #2,694 of 4,593
I listened to my Beyerdynamic DTX 910 for at least 20 hours and I'm impressed of its' capability. The first striking aspect from these cans is the midrange and lower treble. The midrange is very forward and that makes the vocals sound very lively with the combination of the V-Shaped Sound Signature it has. The instruments aren't dull at all and nor is the vocals. The Soundstage is the 2nd most striking aspect. The soundstage positioning for the instruments and the headstage is excellent for its' price range. The soundstage from the DTX 910 imitates a small concert stage and the instrument separation is slightly distant from each other. Then there's the bass. If you're a basshead, these are a 50/50 for you. The bass reaches sub bass at times when it is called upon and sometimes can rival the DT990 Pro. At times, the bass impact is huge, but surprisingly it depends on the quality of the music you are listening to. The bitrate that you need is at least 256 kbps to feel the bass rattle your head and you know it'll only apply to only bass heavy songs like Techno, Trance, Dubstep and Hard Dance. These cans work for all genres which is very rare to find for Monitors under $100. I'll have a full review when I reach 50 hours of listening. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #2,695 of 4,593
Hey, I bought HD25-1 II's used and have listened them now for like 10 hrs. I feel that treble is good, but the bass is a bit boomy for me. Is there any portable headphones with less bass and somewhat same treble than HD25-1 II's? Also, soundstage could be a little wider or is it due them being closed cans?

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #2,696 of 4,593
Oh no ...

The ZX700 is chafing my ear.

It's just an odd fit for my ears.

Damn, and I was really liking the mids on it.

Is there anything I can do to get it off my ear?

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #2,697 of 4,593
Actually Joker, can I bother you to check if it's the same size as the Sony MDR V6?

If that's the case, then I can use the DT250 from Beyer, because these are some sweet sounding headphones that just don't sit comfortable on me.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #2,698 of 4,593
Hey Joker, I'm getting a new pair of economic circumaurals for my laptop. I'm torn between replacing my broken HTX7s with a new pair or get the Sennheiser HD428. I recall enjoying the signature of the Panasonics but I yearned for some more clarity. Will the change from those to the 428s be too dramatic? They seem better for movies maybe. I'm not a bass freak nor do I listen to overtly bassy music, but I'd hate it if the lack of sub-bass is noticeable... I have good hearing.

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #2,699 of 4,593

Quote:
There should be an excel grid for that... of some kind of way to sort the numbers according to our priority (value / sound / isolation etc.)

Is there?

You can also use ctrl+f (for example) "Sound (9" or "Build quality (10" but you don't get a good sense of relation between the variables, for example if you want to find out the best Sound/Value ratio.

If there was a way to attach a file to a post, I'd consider making the raw data available. Someone did upload an excel copy to mediafire but it hasn't been updated in a while. 

Quote:
@Joker,

thanks for guiding me to the CAL (Creative Aurvana Live). I enjoy it straight out of box and straight out of Iphone 3GS. It is no amped LCD-2s or amped DT-880s and the bass is a bit loose (will MarkL mod them). But hey, for a sub $80 portable, I have no complaint. Tonal balance, overall realism and soundstage are good enough for portable.

I saw that you gave a sound rating of 9 to V-moda M-80 vs 8.5 to CAL, so I am interested in M-80 as well (no doubt M-80 offers better build and æsthetics). Would you please give a quick sound comparison, maybe just fill in and replace the ?s:

And whoever owns both please also comment on the cup size: if CAL is semi-circumaural for me, will M-80 be the same or smaller for my ears?  The lowest portions of my ear lope can not be covered by CAL, but it does not seems to affect the sound or comfort that much. Thanks!

The M-80 is much smaller than the CAL. I can't give detailed comparisons since it's been a long time since I sold my Creatives but the M-80's mids are flatter and smoother than I remember of the CAL! and the bass is deeper and fuller. CAL! has a bit of treble sparkle, though, while the M-80 doesn't.

Quote:
Hey, I bought HD25-1 II's used and have listened them now for like 10 hrs. I feel that treble is good, but the bass is a bit boomy for me. Is there any portable headphones with less bass and somewhat same treble than HD25-1 II's? Also, soundstage could be a little wider or is it due them being closed cans?

No, HD25 soundstage is just not big. There are closed cans with much larger stages. If you're using a decent source you might like the Denon DN-HP700 as it has a similarly prominent top end with slightly less bass quantity and a larger presentation. It's not nearly as portable as the HD25, though. 

Quote:
Oh no ...

The ZX700 is chafing my ear.

It's just an odd fit for my ears.

Damn, and I was really liking the mids on it.

Is there anything I can do to get it off my ear?

Bolstering the pads from the inside may work but I don't know if anyone has tried it. I don't have the V6 or the ZX700 anymore (both were loans) but the ZX700 cup size is bigger.

Quote:
Hey Joker, I'm getting a new pair of economic circumaurals for my laptop. I'm torn between replacing my broken HTX7s with a new pair or get the Sennheiser HD428. I recall enjoying the signature of the Panasonics but I yearned for some more clarity. Will the change from those to the 428s be too dramatic? They seem better for movies maybe. I'm not a bass freak nor do I listen to overtly bassy music, but I'd hate it if the lack of sub-bass is noticeable... I have good hearing.

I find the bass of the HD428 to be sufficient, very well-balanced with the midrange except for that tiny bit of extension that's missing. I actually liked the HD428 so much that I bought another one. Coming from the HTX7 you will probably miss the bass but you will definitely welcome the clarity. I don't know what your budget is or how portable you need these to be but you can get a prodipe pro800 for a combination of punchy bass and good clarity at <$50. It is a clumsy-looking thing but sounds nice. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #2,700 of 4,593

Quote:
I find the bass of the HD428 to be sufficient, very well-balanced with the midrange except for that tiny bit of extension that's missing. I actually liked the HD428 so much that I bought another one. Coming from the HTX7 you will probably miss the bass but you will definitely welcome the clarity. I don't know what your budget is or how portable you need these to be but you can get a prodipe pro800 for a combination of punchy bass and good clarity at <$50. It is a clumsy-looking thing but sounds nice. 

P. low budget. I would have gotten the Prodipe but I don't feel like waiting for their arrival, while the HD428 have a decent quality/price ratio and are sold in my city. Going to get them now, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back