Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Dec 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #2,701 of 4,593
that was fast.

Looks like my ZX700s are on their way out of here.

No impressions forthcoming except this:

If they sit on your head comfortably, then by all means you'll be happy.  As for my left ear sitting on the grill and getting irratated ... I can't stand it anymore.  Had to go.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #2,702 of 4,593

Quote:

I find the bass of the HD428 to be sufficient, very well-balanced with the midrange except for that tiny bit of extension that's missing. I actually liked the HD428 so much that I bought another one. Coming from the HTX7 you will probably miss the bass but you will definitely welcome the clarity. I don't know what your budget is or how portable you need these to be but you can get a prodipe pro800 for a combination of punchy bass and good clarity at <$50. It is a clumsy-looking thing but sounds nice. 

I found the Kicker HP541 headphones surprisingly punchy and clear for the money, look akward, but better than prodpipe look wise, I haven't heard the prodpipe, but the kickers sounded fantastic, great fun sound, with pretty good balance, great intonation, but it has a few tiny bumps in the frequency response, but still very dynamic. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #2,704 of 4,593
Loving my DTX 910. It's becoming much more transparent on vocals and instruments. Also, the Soundstage/Headstage is opening up and becoming more accurate in terms of positioning of instruments. A 47% overall improvement since the start of burn-in.

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #2,705 of 4,593

Quote:

I found the Kicker HP541 headphones surprisingly punchy and clear for the money, look akward, but better than prodpipe look wise, I haven't heard the prodpipe, but the kickers sounded fantastic, great fun sound, with pretty good balance, great intonation, but it has a few tiny bumps in the frequency response, but still very dynamic. 

Received a Cortex CHP-2500 today which I think is another one from the Prodipe / KAM KPH-1500 family. I'd have no trouble paying $50 for these. A little bass-heavy but pretty good clarity and decent detail without sacrificing note thickness a-la Senn HD428. Nice, fleshy sound with no obvious flaws.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #2,706 of 4,593
Any plans of doing a review on any of these:

AIAIAI TMA-1
Superlux HD-660 (Beyer 770 pro clone)
Sony Z1000
Ultrasone Edition 8,10

Anyone with any of these headphones that can offer?               

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #2,708 of 4,593

Quote:
Any plans of doing a review on any of these:

AIAIAI TMA-1
Superlux HD-660 (Beyer 770 pro clone)
Sony Z1000
Ultrasone Edition 8,10

Anyone with any of these headphones that can offer?               

I might get a loan of the TMA-1 at some point but I think I'd have to turn down all loans beyond that.

Quote:
Hi Joker,

I was just wondering, do you feel that headphones are generally more value for money compared to IEMs? Do they generally sound better when comparing the same price range?

It's difficult to compare headphones to IEMs and also to generalize. Some offer great value for money; others don't. IEMs are the same way. On average, good headphones probably have a  slight leg up on similarly-priced IEMs but there are always both winners and losers, and a couple of price/performance outliers. I don't think any headphone I've heard for $20 sounds as good as a Brainwavz Beta but I also don't think any $50 IEM sounds better than a Superlux HD668B. Just two examples.

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #2,709 of 4,593

Quote:

I might get a loan of the TMA-1 at some point but I think I'd have to turn down all loans beyond that.

It's difficult to compare headphones to IEMs and also to generalize. Some offer great value for money; others don't. IEMs are the same way. On average, good headphones probably have a  slight leg up on similarly-priced IEMs but there are always both winners and losers, and a couple of price/performance outliers. I don't think any headphone I've heard for $20 sounds as good as a Brainwavz Beta but I also don't think any $50 IEM sounds better than a Superlux HD668B. Just two examples.

Judging from your earlier post you have a hell of a queue, so I'm holding off on sending them to you. I'll wait for January at least to send you at minimum, lest you still are backed up. If that is the case, then I'll hold off further until you have more time. Last thing I want is for you to feel obligation to review a pair of headphones because I've (or anyone else) has loaned them to you and end up rushing the review because of it. Whenever you are ready, let me know and I'll send them off to you.

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #2,711 of 4,593

Quote:
Judging from your earlier post you have a hell of a queue, so I'm holding off on sending them to you. I'll wait for January at least to send you at minimum, lest you still are backed up. If that is the case, then I'll hold off further until you have more time. Last thing I want is for you to feel obligation to review a pair of headphones because I've (or anyone else) has loaned them to you and end up rushing the review because of it. Whenever you are ready, let me know and I'll send them off to you.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I do have quite a lot on my plate and I've had to delay 5 loans already to try and clear up at least some of my queue.

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2,714 of 4,593

Quote:
Hi Joker,

Need your advice here, which portable headphone that you think having similar sound signature like SM3 and GR07?
Thanks in advance.

Those two don't sound anything alike. For GR07 I would say Denon DN-HP700. For SM3 - not really sure. A combination of the V-Moda M-80 and ESW9 or something like that.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #2,715 of 4,593
I will second both those recommendations since I own or have owned all the headphones and IEM's mentioned aside from the AT model which I did manage to hear at a head-Fi meet.

For sure I would agree on the HP700 as I did notice he similarity between them and the GR07. In fact I sold my Hp700 after getting the GR07 since they were so similar and I needed the IEM more than a headphone at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back