Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Aug 17, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #2,311 of 4,593
299 and you still do not get a removable cable even when the DT1350 is designed for 'portable' and 'professional' use? Right...

The V6 flat? Sony messed that one up badly. Likeable yes, flat no way. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #2,312 of 4,593

Quote:
Nice DT1350 review ljokerl, that actually more or less nails how I would compare T50p to HD25-1, lol.  Except I modded the T50p - also, T50p has more and punchier bass than HD25-1.  T50p also sports an "ethereal" quality to its sound that DT1350 lacks, according to one guy.  T50p's coloration is certainly something else, but not my cup of tea.

Thanks. From what I've read of the T50p, I'd probably like it even less than the DT1350.  "ethereal" is a difficult term to imagine used in a positive context if we're talking presentation.

Quote:
Thanks for the nice comparison Armaegis. :) I have to find a J&R or B&H to try the DT1350's already. I'm looking for a more neutral can but... maybe not a portable one. I'm considering DT880's or HD650's in my future. Still, these are pretty enticing for portable use. Especially if they have better detail retrieval than the HD-25.  
Cheers to Joker for another great write-up!

Consider me a fan of the DT880/600. For my tastes it's probably the best sub-$500 headphone I've had my mitts on. I'm one of those who prefers the HD600 to the HD650 signature-wise, as well.

Quote:
The V6 flat? Sony messed that one up badly. Likeable yes, flat no way. 

A joke on my part, per the smiley.

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #2,313 of 4,593

Quote:
I would say the HD650 is more neutral than the DT880 which has a V shaped feel to it. The 650 conversely has a moderate midbass hump. There's something about the DT1350 upper midrange that I can't quite put my finger on. It strikes me as a bit dry and... I can't find the right word here... sterile? It's accurate and clean, but when I run a frequency sweep there's something in that range that just doesn't quite feel right.

For me its the spike in the mids causing vocals to sound more forward that messed me up. How the DT 1350 presents vocals on some of my songs sort of threw me for a loop. Is there any particular song or genre where this sterility was most noticeable?

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #2,314 of 4,593

Quote:
Thanks. From what I've read of the T50p, I'd probably like it even less than the DT1350.  "ethereal" is a difficult term to imagine used in a positive context if we're talking presentation...

From what I can remember, it is the kind of presentation that DT880Pro aimed for, but doesn't quite get it right like T50p.  On DT880, I would get bored of its presentation like you've watched the same, simple magic trick a thousand times, but with T50p, it was never boring.  It is hard to describe - it's all in the treble and most of the midrange.  You might possibly like it a bit more than DT1350 since you say you like DT880-600.  Not sure, and in the end, you will probably prefer HD25 anyway, lol.  I know I do.  =]

Quote:
For me its the spike in the mids causing vocals to sound more forward that messed me up. How the DT 1350 presents vocals on some of my songs sort of threw me for a loop. Is there any particular song or genre where this sterility was most noticeable?

Other DT1350 users noticed dips in the frequency response, check the DT1350 thread.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #2,315 of 4,593

Quote:

There wasn't anything specific that grabbed me... it was just the feeling of something different or something off. It wasn't until I ran the sweep that I could narrow it down to that particular range. I think it has to do with the decay times changing over the frequency range, as I've felt similar things when I was experimenting with damping my orthos. A bit of extra decay/resonance tends to give a bit of "body" to the sound. Add too much and it becomes boomy. Take it out and it's like energy got sucked out of the sound. I wonder if it might be a phase shift too... sometimes I can hear those if they're uneven.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #2,316 of 4,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

299 and you still do not get a removable cable even when the DT1350 is designed for 'portable' and 'professional' use? Right...

I know Beyerdynamic is very fond of the cable and claims it can carry 20 kg with no problems. They posted that on Facebook some time shortly before its release.

However, I'm glad I didn't get the DT1350 although I really wanted to first. Meanwhile it's clear that the Beyer is a technical sensation but it seems to lack musicality and dynamics.
This is not for me, I don't even like BA drivers.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #2,317 of 4,593
Even the old DT48E had detachable cable. 20 kilos, so what? If you can detach the cable you can make sure the cable does not snap when you are not using the headphone and it helps for transport.

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #2,319 of 4,593
No plans for a PS320. I do have an MS300 in the works, though.

Looks like all of the reasonably-priced M50s have been grabbed up. I'll raise the quoted price.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #2,320 of 4,593
Joker!  The respectable Fischer Audio put up some of their portable cans online and they look great!  Namely, the closed Saturn and the Vega are up (along with the Titan and Hyperion, which are open and look comparable to AD700s).
http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=5&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

If the the Vega and Saturn sound good (and they very well may since the DBA-02 and the FA-003,011,004 have been great) they would be a really attractive package since they are also styled well.  (I think a lot of young head-fiers perusing the portable reviews would love that!)  They would be a great addition to your lineup.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #2,322 of 4,593
Aug 19, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #2,323 of 4,593

Quote:
Joker!  The respectable Fischer Audio put up some of their portable cans online and they look great!  Namely, the closed Saturn and the Vega are up (along with the Titan and Hyperion, which are open and look comparable to AD700s).
http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=5&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

If the the Vega and Saturn sound good (and they very well may since the DBA-02 and the FA-003,011,004 have been great) they would be a really attractive package since they are also styled well.  (I think a lot of young head-fiers perusing the portable reviews would love that!)  They would be a great addition to your lineup.

FWIR the Vega and Saturn are indeed not hi-fi models, not in the sense the FA-004 is. They are just supposed to be big and impressive-looking for not very much money. I've got quite a few Fischer models on hand and by far not all of them sound good. I will be reviewing the Oldskool '70, which does, and another portable model I can't mention yet. Also, if you look closely at the Vega and Saturn, the cups don't rotate about the vertical axis and seem to be rigidly fixed in place on both models. Potential comfort issue there.

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #2,325 of 4,593

Quote:
Thanks, great reviews.

Thanks, glad the thread has been useful 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back