Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Aug 12, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #2,296 of 4,593

Quote:
on top! 
eek.gif
, I'm shocked.

edit: well I had a very nice read. I like how it was directly compared to the HD25.

To be quite honest I still prefer the HD25 but that has no bearing on the review and is due in part to 85% of my own music collection being rock & its subgenres.

Quote:
Great job as always!  
Will we ever see the ATH-ES10 or Ultrasone Edition 8 in this thread? If I was in the US I'd certainly lend them to you for review.

Can't know for sure but I don't think I'll be buying either anytime soon. My billfold would suffocate me in my sleep.

Quote:
Anyone else feel like they owe Joker part of their soul?  Just curious...lol

Thanks for the review on the new beyer, I've been drooling over them for a long time.  Someone needs to give joker their edition 8 so he can review it.  I don't think it would come out on top for the best value though, sound quality for sure but not value.  

Thanks, now I feel like Lucifer incarnate.

I suppose the Ultrasone ED headphones are in the headphone realm what the $1000+ FADs are to all other IEMs - gobs of style and top-shelf sound at a huge price premium.

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #2,297 of 4,593

Quote:

I suppose the Ultrasone ED headphones are in the headphone realm what the $1000+ FADs are to all other IEMs - gobs of style and top-shelf sound at a huge price premium.

Yeah but FAD sounds better.  
eek.gif
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #2,298 of 4,593
OMG!!!!!!
eek.gif

Right now Overlord Sennheiser must be sitting in the local tavern drinking black ale and crying into his Darth Vader helmet. As someone whose owned the P5 I expected the DT 1350's to easily knock it out of the top three spot (can't comment abut the M50 never heard it ) but to take number one position from the HD 25-1 II I never saw it coming.

Quote:
on top! 
eek.gif
, I'm shocked.

edit: well I had a very nice read. I like how it was directly compared to the HD25.

So Mr McProgger did your jaw drop and hit the floor like mine when you saw the DT 1350 in top spot?
rolleyes.gif

@joker
A quick question involving your review. Considering you played around with amping the Beyer's do you mind if I ask what amp(s) or op amps you specifically used. Considering you stated amping bought out a tad more sub bass do you think the right kind of amp could possibly bring in a slight touch more sparkle into the treble? I generally like the DT 1350's treble but there's the odd song in my music collection I wish the Beyer would play with a small touch more emphasis in the treble region.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #2,299 of 4,593
Hello Sir Joker, I was wondering if you ever had the chance of listening to music using the Sony MDR-ZX500B? You gay the MDR-ZX700 pretty good reviews, do you think the lower version would be similar? I don't remember what was said but the difference betwer the XB500 and 700 was either really big or not that big.... or am I mistaking them with the 700 and 1000? Anyways if you could share any info on these headphones if you have any would be really great. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #2,300 of 4,593

Quote:
So Mr McProgger did your jaw drop and hit the floor like mine when you saw the DT 1350 in top spot?
rolleyes.gif

Yes man, my Jaw hit the floor, and it still hurts. Im still in shock after a medicated overnight sleep. lol.

I can clearly see how the beyer went ahead with all the technical part though, the difference is quite noticeable. I used to say the HD25 were acurate, tight in bass and detailed when comparing it to other headphones, but compared to the little beyer, the HD25 is like a fun signature.. that makes the V6 a clown signature.

Quote:
@joker
A quick question involving your review. Considering you played around with amping the Beyer's do you mind if I ask what amp(s) or op amps you specifically used. Considering you stated amping bought out a tad more sub bass do you think the right kind of amp could possibly bring in a slight touch more sparkle into the treble? I generally like the DT 1350's treble but there's the odd song in my music collection I wish the Beyer would play with a small touch more emphasis in the treble region.

I am also interested in your choice of amps, specially your mini3 HP (mine is not HP, my bad when ordering it...)  and how much of an upgrade your iBasso D10 is compared to the Mini3, if any. thanks!

Quote:
Hello Sir Joker, I was wondering if you ever had the chance of listening to music using the Sony MDR-ZX500B? You gay the MDR-ZX700 pretty good reviews, ...

Oh! dont you dare to mess with Joker, sir 
icon_bate.gif

biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #2,301 of 4,593

Quote:
@joker

My usual amps - mini3, iBasso D10, Fiio E7, and Tianyun ZERO. I also tried it with my Heed CanAmp but that's totally unnecessary and the HUD-MX1, but only briefly. I only like the mini3 and D10 because I don't think they color the sound. If you were to find an amp that give a treble boost, I don't see why the DT1350 wouldn't cooperate. I've tried the Arrow 4G, though not with the DT1350, and the treble boost on that does work.

Quote:
Hello Sir Joker, I was wondering if you ever had the chance of listening to music using the Sony MDR-ZX500B? You gay the MDR-ZX700 pretty good reviews, do you think the lower version would be similar? I don't remember what was said but the difference betwer the XB500 and 700 was either really big or not that big.... or am I mistaking them with the 700 and 1000? Anyways if you could share any info on these headphones if you have any would be really great. 

No, I've never heard the ZX500 and have never seen any impressions of it. Someone did mention some time ago that the Z1000 is a noticeable step up over the ZX700, but it's also more than 3x the price. Don't think that's any indicator of the ZX500's performance, though.

Quote:

I can clearly see how the beyer went ahead with all the technical part though, the difference is quite noticeable. I used to say the HD25 were acurate, tight in bass and detailed when comparing it to other headphones, but compared to the little beyer, the HD25 is like a fun signature.. that makes the V6 a clown signature.

Aside from the bass lift and midrange dip the V6 isn't so far from flat
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
I am also interested in your choice of amps, specially your mini3 HP (mine is not HP, my bad when ordering it...)  and how much of an upgrade your iBasso D10 is compared to the Mini3, if any. thanks!

I had both a 2x and 5x mini3 at one point and thought they sounded pretty much identical with my PRO650 (which isn't that difficult to drive but still is no IEM). Did not try them with the DT1350, though. The D10 is a bit smoother and offers a touch less subbass and slightly more detail with the stock opamp (which I always use for testing for the sake of consistency). Otherwise the difference between them isn't huge. The real value of the D10 to me is how good the DAC is when fed optical signal. For the amp section I don't feel I lose that much when switching to the mini3. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #2,303 of 4,593
I would say the DT1350 is a step up on the technicalities, but I enjoyed the sound of the HD25-1-ii more. Isolation on par, fit and comfort better on the DT1350, ruggedness better on the Senn (in terms of "toss it in a bag and not worry about it"). The Senn is more V shaped while I found the Beyer a bit treble tipped.

I'm not a huge fan of the M50, but I would say the HD25 and DT1350 both edge it out. The ESW9 is sort of a different beast compared to the others, with a more easy going sound and mid centric vs the others.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #2,304 of 4,593

Quote:
I would say the DT1350 is a step up on the technicalities, but I enjoyed the sound of the HD25-1-ii more. Isolation on par, fit and comfort better on the DT1350, ruggedness better on the Senn (in terms of "toss it in a bag and not worry about it"). The Senn is more V shaped while I found the Beyer a bit treble tipped.

I'm not a huge fan of the M50, but I would say the HD25 and DT1350 both edge it out. The ESW9 is sort of a different beast compared to the others, with a more easy going sound and mid centric vs the others.

How would you compare the 1350's to your HDJ-2000's?

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #2,305 of 4,593

Quote:
How would you compare the 1350's to your HDJ-2000's?

The DT1350 has a "dryer" sound, arguably more accurate, faster decay overall (less resonance), with a very strong mid-high range. The HDJ-2000 has much more body to it, which is mostly attributed to the stronger bass and slower decay. For casual listening I would go with the HDJ-2000 as it has more of a "fun" factor for me and would be less fatiguing. If I were mixing/producing, I would probably pick the DT1350 (perhaps with the treble tuned down just a slight bit). 

Comfortwise, they are both very good. The DT1350 actually suits my head shape better than the HDJ2000, as I have a fairly wide and square head, while the HDJ-2000 suits more oval-shaped heads. 

Durability would be a tossup. The DT1350 feels well built, but the HDJ-2000 has a real solid heft to it. I wish the DT1350 had a removeable cord; that seems to be a real oversight, though given the small size of the cup I could see why they went with a fixed cord. The DT1350 folds flat/thinner, but the HDJ-2000 collapses, so either or there. 

Isolation is close, though I would give the nod to the DT1350. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #2,306 of 4,593
Nice DT1350 review ljokerl, that actually more or less nails how I would compare T50p to HD25-1, lol.  Except I modded the T50p - also, T50p has more and punchier bass than HD25-1.  T50p also sports an "ethereal" quality to its sound that DT1350 lacks, according to one guy.  T50p's coloration is certainly something else, but not my cup of tea.

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #2,307 of 4,593

Quote:
The DT1350 has a "dryer" sound, arguably more accurate, faster decay overall (less resonance), with a very strong mid-high range. The HDJ-2000 has much more body to it, which is mostly attributed to the stronger bass and slower decay. For casual listening I would go with the HDJ-2000 as it has more of a "fun" factor for me and would be less fatiguing. If I were mixing/producing, I would probably pick the DT1350 (perhaps with the treble tuned down just a slight bit). 

Comfortwise, they are both very good. The DT1350 actually suits my head shape better than the HDJ2000, as I have a fairly wide and square head, while the HDJ-2000 suits more oval-shaped heads. 

Durability would be a tossup. The DT1350 feels well built, but the HDJ-2000 has a real solid heft to it. I wish the DT1350 had a removeable cord; that seems to be a real oversight, though given the small size of the cup I could see why they went with a fixed cord. The DT1350 folds flat/thinner, but the HDJ-2000 collapses, so either or there. 

Isolation is close, though I would give the nod to the DT1350. 

Thanks for the nice comparison Armaegis. :) I have to find a J&R or B&H to try the DT1350's already. I'm looking for a more neutral can but... maybe not a portable one. I'm considering DT880's or HD650's in my future. Still, these are pretty enticing for portable use. Especially if they have better detail retrieval than the HD-25.

Cheers to Joker for another great write-up!

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #2,308 of 4,593

Quote:
Thanks for the nice comparison Armaegis. :) I have to find a J&R or B&H to try the DT1350's already. I'm looking for a more neutral can but... maybe not a portable one. I'm considering DT880's or HD650's in my future. Still, these are pretty enticing for portable use. Especially if they have better detail retrieval than the HD-25.

I'll come with, I'm looking for an upgrade as well. Perhaps one day after I get out of class we can go to either one (providing that you are free).

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #2,309 of 4,593

Quote:

I would say the HD650 is more neutral than the DT880 which has a V shaped feel to it. The 650 conversely has a moderate midbass hump. There's something about the DT1350 upper midrange that I can't quite put my finger on. It strikes me as a bit dry and... I can't find the right word here... sterile? It's accurate and clean, but when I run a frequency sweep there's something in that range that just doesn't quite feel right.

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #2,310 of 4,593
I literally LOLed when i saw the Parts Express set in there, i just got them for the headband and i actually did try them.........oh wow! I can't believe TC said he spent hours "testing" them??? WaW!? 0/10 is about right, but maybe it should at least get 1 point for producing sound?
tongue.gif

May just pick up the Beyer DT 235s if they are called "baby HD-25-1". I'm starting to see a trend with Sennheiser, i think they milk the customer a little more because of their name, still buying the Hd-25 some day.

iFrogz, my dad gave me a free pair and i had never heard of them before so i was like "Wth is this?" and he says "Don't you know anything about audio?" in his tongue-in-cheek kinda way
biggrin.gif
Those things were awful; "ear pollution" indeed! They felt like you could break them by dropping them, don't see how that pair managed to even get a 3.5 but meh....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back