Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
May 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #1,996 of 4,593
I remember a picture of Kevin Gilmore and his portable rig.  A stat amp he designed and an SR-Omega.  The amp took up a good sized, shoulder camera bag.

After much searching, I found a thread with a picture of it.  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/73055/stax-omega-ii-possible-to-use-portably/15#post_831451

May 12, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #1,997 of 4,593
I tried out the TDK WR700 today. I was quite pleasantly surprised. Nice feel and build, average isolation, very comfortable, and a good (not amazing) sound. Frequency response was surprisingly level, even pushing into the highs, although with some rolloff at the end like you mentioned. The wireless was pretty good as I tried moving the transmitter about from pocket to pocket. Your review mentions a street price of $120, which I think is an excellent price for these headphones. The Canadian price is $230, which is less so.

I would say the WR700 is a MUCH better value than the full sized TDK ST800 which was just plain disappointing across the board.

May 12, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #1,998 of 4,593

Quote:
I remember a picture of Kevin Gilmore and his portable rig.  A stat amp he designed and an SR-Omega.  The amp took up a good sized, shoulder camera bag.

After much searching, I found a thread with a picture of it.  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/73055/stax-omega-ii-possible-to-use-portably/15#post_831451

That's a different level of dedication altogether. The Beyer DT770/250 was as far as I was willing to go in terms of use "portably" (i.e. outside) and even that was a bit awkward.

Quote:
I tried out the TDK WR700 today. I was quite pleasantly surprised. Nice feel and build, average isolation, very comfortable, and a good (not amazing) sound. Frequency response was surprisingly level, even pushing into the highs, although with some rolloff at the end like you mentioned. The wireless was pretty good as I tried moving the transmitter about from pocket to pocket. Your review mentions a street price of $120, which I think is an excellent price for these headphones. The Canadian price is $230, which is less so.

I would say the WR700 is a MUCH better value than the full sized TDK ST800 which was just plain disappointing across the board.

I think TDK raised the price on these. When I just got them the MSRP was $129.99 (I paid around $100). By the time I reviewed them they raised the MSRP to $250 but the street prices hadn't gone up yet. Now it looks like $170-190 for them, which is a it much for the SQ. I agree that Kleer shows a lot of promise, though.

May 13, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #1,999 of 4,593

Quote:

That's a different level of dedication altogether. The Beyer DT770/250 was as far as I was willing to go in terms of use "portably" (i.e. outside) and even that was a bit awkward.

I think TDK raised the price on these. When I just got them the MSRP was $129.99 (I paid around $100). By the time I reviewed them they raised the MSRP to $250 but the street prices hadn't gone up yet. Now it looks like $170-190 for them, which is a it much for the SQ. I agree that Kleer shows a lot of promise, though.

The DT770 are about as far from portable as one can go.

For the TDK, I would consider $100-120 a great value. The new higher MSRP really sucks; I don't see them making many sales at that price. I wonder how their iem stacks up.

May 14, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #2,000 of 4,593
Hi I have been reading through your reviews trying to find the perfect headphones for me but I'm in need of a bit of help. First off I will be using these headphones simply to use whilst travelling and at college so I don't wan't them to be too big or leak too much sound. I mainly listen to Hip Hop and will be plugging these headphones into my iTouch if that helps at all :p. Can anyone help me pick some good headphone options please.

May 15, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #2,001 of 4,593

Quote:
Hi I have been reading through your reviews trying to find the perfect headphones for me but I'm in need of a bit of help. First off I will be using these headphones simply to use whilst travelling and at college so I don't wan't them to be too big or leak too much sound. I mainly listen to Hip Hop and will be plugging these headphones into my iTouch if that helps at all :p. Can anyone help me pick some good headphone options please.

HD25-1 II should do it.

May 15, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #2,002 of 4,593

Quote:
ljokerl, this thread was mentioned (and linked to) in an article that appeared on both Lifehacker and Gizmodo today!

http://lifehacker.com/5800772/how-to-choose-the-perfect-pair-of-headphones

http://gizmodo.com/5800824/how-to-choose-the-perfect-pair-of-headphones

Geez, they must be desperate!  Haha!!  
tongue.gif
k701smile.gif
wink_face.gif

May 15, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #2,003 of 4,593
Guys can someone tell me what does clamping force means exactly?
While i use my Philips SHP5400 , after an hour and a half my top part of the head starts to pain due to the headband. Is this  what clamping force means?

May 15, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #2,004 of 4,593
Hi Joker, have loved reading your thread and getting all your help.  Just got a pair of creative aurvana live! and gotta tell ya, thank you!  They are great, and not even burned in yet.  Nice packaging, good looking cans with great bass and detail.  For the price, hard to beat.  spot on with your review.  Looking forward to what they may sound like with further listening/burn in.
Cheers

May 15, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #2,005 of 4,593
Angelopsaro, as far as I understood (as far as my English lets me understand), clamping force means how strong headphones grasp your head - how strong they press your ears, I mean. Though maybe you are right, I am not sure.

May 15, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #2,006 of 4,593
Added the Superlux HD668B and Prodipe Pro 800

Quote:
Hi Joker, have loved reading your thread and getting all your help.  Just got a pair of creative aurvana live! and gotta tell ya, thank you!  They are great, and not even burned in yet.  Nice packaging, good looking cans with great bass and detail.  For the price, hard to beat.  spot on with your review.  Looking forward to what they may sound like with further listening/burn in.
Cheers

Thanks, glad you like them.

Quote:
Angelopsaro, as far as I understood (as far as my English lets me understand), clamping force means how strong headphones grasp your head - how strong they press your ears, I mean. Though maybe you are right, I am not sure.

That's how I use the term.

May 16, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #2,007 of 4,593
Good to read your comments on the HD668b. I've been telling people to get this great <$50 can for a year or two now. It's good to see them getting some recognition finally. Did you know they make some REALLY decent microphones as well? 

I own a couple of Superlux headphones (HD669, HD668b, HD681, HD662, HD381) and they are all great value. The HD662 stands out for me since it's just so much fun and has a great soundstage for a closed can. The HD669 is nothing more than a closed version of the HD668b and just a great low budget closed studio monitor. Bright like the sun though. All Superlux headphones have a tendency towards sibilance. They need a warm source, like you said, and A LOT of burn-in. 

They are awesome modding cans as well, if you ruin them it's no problem since you only spent $30 on them. :) They respond really well to damping and velour pads. 

May 16, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #2,008 of 4,593
Glad to hear you liked them! Their portability is indeed questionable for most, but some of us crazier kids its not an issue =P Your review also confirms the differences between these and the Samson SR850s which definitely seems to be bass heavier than the 668B.

May 16, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #2,009 of 4,593
Nice read on the HD668b. before getting my K601 i used the 668b a lot. they are great for some nice speed tech metal 
basshead.gif

For me they are not so comfortable tho, the wings on the top on my head press a bit hard, a friend of mine  that had them for 1 month said they were the most comfortable pair he ever used so i guess, my head too egg shaped. 

besides fast music they are really good with games too.

I've always say this are not portable guys,,,I'll crack in laugh if I ever see someone walking in the park using this on,

400x400px-f5f27888_Superlux668baccs.jpg

400x400px-9ab8ddd9_superluxeva01.jpg

(Accessories)                                                                                                               Unit 01 Approves

PS: good tip on stuffing the pads it did improve the comfort

May 17, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #2,010 of 4,593
Any idea if / when the TMA-1s will be added? I used this thread mainly to decide between my M50 and HD25 purchase, and ended going w/ the M50 as it was cheaper and loved it :) but now looking to upgrade and deciding (mainly) between TMA-1s and HD25s as they are far more portable than the M50s (which I must say, look pretty weird even on my neck). Sorry if it sounds demanding. Can't find anything better than a comparison via charts showing average scores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back