Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
May 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #1,981 of 4,593

Quote:
Unfortunate since those of us with normal-sized ears find them very comfortable 
tongue.gif

It could be age related too, since you ears keep growing and I'm 51.

May 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #1,983 of 4,593

Quote:
WHere i can get Maxell DHP-II ($40)  for 40$ or 50$ , cant find theese  headphones for 40$

They were all bought up following my review :p. I actually paid just $25 for mine but those seem to all be gone.

Quote:
Hey guys, I was just wondering what a logical upgrade would be to the JVC HA-M750 that I currently own. I absolutely love these headphones for what I paid for them, but I don't like buying the same thing twice. I would probably be looking to pay around $80. Sorry in advance if I'm not allowed to post this here.

I've always thought the M-Audio Q40 was a pretty logical upgrade to the M750 but it is a bit over $100. For something with the portability of an M750 you'd probably be looking at the DT235 (though it has less bass). If you can live with a longer cord - Sony V6 or Ultrasone 450.

Quote:
Is it me or the K81/k581DJ don't isolate that much? I've used them for a good amount of time and i really can't understand that 9 in isolation.

Depends on the reference point. It's a comparative scale and most on-ears don't isolate at all. The K81 cuts out a good amount of noise when fitted right.

May 10, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #1,984 of 4,593
|joker| can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd guess that his isolation ratings are in relation to other headphones and not based on how many dBs they isolate.  The best isolating headphones are only as good as the worst isolating IEMs in my experience.  And only a hand full of deep insertion IEMS isolate as well as hearing protection ear muffs.  A few years ago, I searched for a headphone that isolated as well as the IEMs I owned at the time, UM1, E3c, and im716.  At the time, the best isolating headphones were the HD280 had HD25-1.  The UM1 isolated slightly better and the E3c and im716 much better.  I'm not sure that new headphones have come out that isolate better than those two.  The only thing I've tried at a meet that were better was a pair of Smeggy made Thunderpants and those aren't portable. 

May 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #1,985 of 4,593
Supraaural works really well for some people, maybe not so much for others. If they don't isolate enough for you, try some circumaurals or iems.

May 11, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #1,987 of 4,593
ljokerl, this thread was mentioned (and linked to) in an article that appeared on both Lifehacker and Gizmodo today!

http://lifehacker.com/5800772/how-to-choose-the-perfect-pair-of-headphones

http://gizmodo.com/5800824/how-to-choose-the-perfect-pair-of-headphones

May 11, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #1,990 of 4,593
Congrats on the Gizmodo article mention. Glad to see that this gets more additions every time I look at it. ;D 

I have a question: are you looking to review the AiAiAi TMA-1's anytime soon? It'd be nice to get a detailed comparison of them vs. the Phiaton MS 400s. 

May 11, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #1,991 of 4,593

Quote:
ljokerl, this thread was mentioned (and linked to) in an article that appeared on both Lifehacker and Gizmodo today!

http://lifehacker.com/5800772/how-to-choose-the-perfect-pair-of-headphones

http://gizmodo.com/5800824/how-to-choose-the-perfect-pair-of-headphones

Wow, thanks for the mention and the shout-out! Very cool.

Quote:
Sorry, my mistake. I actually meant FA-004s.

Definitely more realistic 
wink.gif

Quote:

I have a question: are you looking to review the AiAiAi TMA-1's anytime soon? It'd be nice to get a detailed comparison of them vs. the Phiaton MS 400s. 

No plans for a TMA-1 at this time though at least a dozen other sets are in the works.

May 12, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #1,995 of 4,593
Sure they are! The HE90 comes with it's own set of bodyguards/meatshields. Surely, one of them can heft around the amp, while another carries a big honkin' battery. Better yet, put it all in your sedan chair while they hoist you about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back