Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jul 25, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #4,561 of 4,593
Thanks a bunch

Thanks a bunch for your help again! The treble roll off seems to be putting me off at this point, unfortunately.

How does the treble of these cans compare to the likes of the HD598? I like the treble detail of the HD598, but it feels a bit rolled off to me.

You're right - it has a little treble roll off. Momentum definitely isn't as bright as the HD598, but it is smooth and has plenty of sparkle. I use EQ to tweak the treble slightly on both.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #4,562 of 4,593
You're right - it has a little treble roll off. Momentum definitely isn't as bright as the HD598, but it is smooth and has plenty of sparkle. I use EQ to tweak the treble slightly on both.

The treble roll off is kinda scaring me away. But if the sound signature is as smooth as the 598 I'll definitely give it a go.

So far, I'm still torn between the HP50's. I'll probably need to compare the two! Thanks for the help!

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #4,563 of 4,593
The treble roll off is kinda scaring me away. But if the sound signature is as smooth as the 598 I'll definitely give it a go.

So far, I'm still torn between the HP50's. I'll probably need to compare the two! Thanks for the help!

Is there a local store where you can demo the Momentum? Maybe Best Buy etc? You can always order from Amazon & return if you don't like. That way, there's no obligation & it doesn't cost you anything.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #4,564 of 4,593
Is there a local store where you can demo the Momentum? Maybe Best Buy etc? You can always order from Amazon & return if you don't like. That way, there's no obligation & it doesn't cost you anything.

Unfortunately there's no Momentums on display. I'll probably order the cans from Best Buy, that way I can put it on a payment plan :p If I don't like them, there's not much to lose ahahah :3

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #4,565 of 4,593
I got the Momentum and they're definitely my favorite portable can! For $249.99 CAD, that was a REALLY good deal! I'll be writing a full review soon, I'm gonna let them burn in on my trip to Montreal! Thanks for the suggestion!

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #4,567 of 4,593
I can see this thread is no longer heavily used. I wonder if someone can help. I need a portable set for work and am considering:
Audio technica ath50x
Hd25 11
Monster DNA
Or are there better now?

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #4,569 of 4,593
Thanks. I can’t afford the b and o ones right now. Are the momentum’s better than what I listed above?

Nov 19, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #4,570 of 4,593
I really like the Momentums, but wouldn't necessarily put them a huge step over the M50x or HD25. I really like them for comfort though.
Also, be very careful that you know which version you're buying. There are both v1 and v2 versions, on ear and over ear, plus wireless... so at least 5 versions floating around.

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #4,571 of 4,593
Thanks. I can’t afford the b and o ones right now. Are the momentum’s better than what I listed above?

I really like the Momentums, but wouldn't necessarily put them a huge step over the M50x or HD25. I really like them for comfort though.
Also, be very careful that you know which version you're buying. There are both v1 and v2 versions, on ear and over ear, plus wireless... so at least 5 versions floating around.

Watch out for fakes too. The last pair of Momentums I bought were counterfeits (NIB). They were undetectable to the genuines, except the sound was off (which I wouldn't have known if I didn't have a genuine pair to compare to).

I haven't seen any counterfeits of the Momentum 2 though, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Jan 9, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #4,572 of 4,593
Hi everyone,

Could anyone share impressions about which wireless is the best buy actually?

I've been using a b&o h7 but after 2 hr aproximately it hurts my head due to excesive clamping force on top of my head. So my priority now is COMFORT and later the sound quality.

My options are the following:

- b&w p7 wireless
- b&w px
- v-moda crossfade II wireless
- momentum m2
- bose qc35
- sennheiser pxc 550

The last model launched by sony sounds really bad compared to b&o h7, although they have the comfort I need as the previous mdr-1a that I had before. I've also tested v-moda m100 but comfort it's not perfect.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #4,575 of 4,593
Hi everyone,

Could anyone share impressions about which wireless is the best buy actually?

I've been using a b&o h7 but after 2 hr aproximately it hurts my head due to excesive clamping force on top of my head. So my priority now is COMFORT and later the sound quality.

My options are the following:

- b&w p7 wireless
- b&w px
- v-moda crossfade II wireless
- momentum m2
- bose qc35
- sennheiser pxc 550

The last model launched by sony sounds really bad compared to b&o h7, although they have the comfort I need as the previous mdr-1a that I had before. I've also tested v-moda m100 but comfort it's not perfect.

Thanks in advance
When you say last model by Sony are you refering to the WH-1000XM2 or a different model?

The PXC550 is a very solid competent noise cancelling headphone with some of the best features available in a BT product such as being able to be connected to do BT sources simultaneously and excellent talking features and very little wind noise outside. But some people find it doesn't go loud enough. Comfort starts out a bit pressing but gets better with use. I was able to wear them for hours without issue after a couple of days use and I wear glasses. The PXC550 will lag behind some of the new models for flashy features though such as Sony's ability to adjust its sound on your ear or some products support of either Apple or Google specific features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back