Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Feb 2, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #3,858 of 4,593
Quote:
Joker, please put the Yamaha Pro 500 somewhere in your queue. You have to try them. Once you can in the future, shoot me a pm and I will gladly you send you my pair to review.

Looks like Beats but sounds promising. I'll keep it in mind if I can find the time. 

Quote:
Hey Joker, would you say the fa-004 has a similar sound signature to the gr06 from your iem thread? I promise this is the last question I ask about this haha.

No, not really. The GR06 is more heavy on the midrange and has hotter treble. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #3,860 of 4,593
[size=10pt]Hi joker, [/size]

[size=10pt]Just a note to acknowledge the effort you’ve clearly put into this ‘Shootout.’ [/size]

[size=10pt]The depth and excellent use of language is impressive and so helpful, especially to someone like me that’s new to the current market.  I love music, needed a transportable set, and this thread helped me to create a high quality short-list. [/size]

[size=10pt]After reasonable auditioning, I selected the V-Moda M-80s, and am really really happy with them. The icing on the cake was that, after I had already decided on them, they went on sale this past week at Radio Shack (for $129). [/size]

[size=10pt]Thx again![/size]

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #3,861 of 4,593
Quote:
[size=10pt]Hi joker, [/size]

[size=10pt]Just a note to acknowledge the effort you’ve clearly put into this ‘Shootout.’ [/size]

[size=10pt]The depth and excellent use of language is impressive and so helpful, especially to someone like me that’s new to the current market.  I love music, needed a transportable set, and this thread helped me to create a high quality short-list. [/size]

[size=10pt]After reasonable auditioning, I selected the V-Moda M-80s, and am really really happy with them. The icing on the cake was that, after I had already decided on them, they went on sale this past week at Radio Shack (for $129). [/size]

[size=10pt]Thx again![/size]

Thanks, glad you're enjoying your M-80! 

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #3,863 of 4,593
Reading your posts always makes me want to buy a new headphone.

After misplacing my prized QJays..looking to buy new headphone. After reading the forums going try for a regular headphone. Have a M2 as my go to IEM now.

Reading your post and along with my budget...looking for best bang for the buck headphones.
I want to use it with my ipod nano or on an inflight enterainment system when I travel.
Thats why I am not so sure about an open headphones.

Which would you recommend?

At Creative the CAL is on sale for 50€ including shipping. Price to be honest is just a few euros lower than a regular store, But reading your forum...quite intriguing.

But other phones I am interested in...the Superlux 668. At 30€ half of the CAL.
And the Koss headphones. At 15 or 25€.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #3,864 of 4,593
Two of those are open (assuming you mean the Koss clip ons) and the CAL don't isolate much, they'd all be terrible choices for air travel... I'm a big fan of the KSC75 and the CAL have always been a good value, but they're not what you're looking for if you want to block outside noise or are concerned with bothering someone sitting next to you.

AKG K81, MEElec HT-21, Soundmagic P30, and several other cheap closed headphones in joker's list might be better suited for your needs. I think those three in particular can now be found much cheaper.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #3,865 of 4,593
Quote:
Reading your posts always makes me want to buy a new headphone.

After misplacing my prized QJays..looking to buy new headphone. After reading the forums going try for a regular headphone. Have a M2 as my go to IEM now.

Reading your post and along with my budget...looking for best bang for the buck headphones.
I want to use it with my ipod nano or on an inflight enterainment system when I travel.
Thats why I am not so sure about an open headphones.

At Creative the CAL is on sale for 50€ including shipping. Price to be honest is just a few euros lower than a regular store, But reading your forum...quite intriguing.

But other phones I am interested in...the Superlux 668. At 30€ half of the CAL.
And the Koss headphones. At 15 or 25€.

None of these will make for a good in-flight headphone, especially next to an IEM like the q-JAYS or even M2. Disregarding isolation, I would go for the CAL! out of all those. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #3,866 of 4,593
Thanks for the reactions.

Plane usage is secondary. With the size factor...big chance  will use the m2. Great allrounders. i enjoy these more when watching movies....even compared to the late Qjays.

I am strongly considering the CAL. Seems the sound fits what I like.
Another option i actually considered was the MDR v6.at 57€. But kinda worried if its sibilance/highs is not to my liking.

PS my music taste is quite eclectic...for europeans at least. listen to pop, rnb and country. Vocals are important. (This way i miss the Qjays...they were perfect for me)

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #3,867 of 4,593
I have both. Go for the CAL! While I love my V6s,they don't sound as good, and are heavy. The V6s are great for studio use because every flaw comes out, which is a bad thing for anyone not using them in a studio

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #3,869 of 4,593
Quote:
I have both. Go for the CAL! While I love my V6s,they don't sound as good, and are heavy. The V6s are great for studio use because every flaw comes out, which is a bad thing for anyone not using them in a studio

Yeah I would go for the CAL! as well.

Quote:
Suggestions for headphones that sound like Ety ER4s? Excels at details, imaging, instrument seperation, etc. 

Haven't heard anything that makes me think of the ER4S among higher-end on-ear portables. I would say Denon DN-HP700 or AKG K550/K551 out of the larger DJ cans I've heard. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #3,870 of 4,593
Quote:

Yeah I would go for the CAL! as well.

Haven't heard anything that makes me think of the ER4S among higher-end on-ear portables. I would say Denon DN-HP700 or AKG K550/K551 out of the larger DJ cans I've heard. 

Well in general, have you heard any relatively portable headphones that aren't congested in sound, but extend well in bass? I just like being able to pick out the separate sounds and not have the instruments mix into each other when the track gets busy. At the same time I don't like when the bass is non-existent.

I just bought the AT a900x and I really like the sound, but walking with the wing system is a no go. Do you know any portable headphones that sound similar? Do the portable AT offerings like the ESW9 or 10 sound similar? I also have the Denon D600 but they're too big to be portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back