Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jan 12, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #3,812 of 4,593
Hello -

Great reviews of portable headphones!!

My wife gifted the SONY PIIQ MDR-PQ2 in Black/Neon Green for Christmas. She knows I like headphones/IEMs and recently started liking the neon green trim on backpacks/shoes; so she got it for me for the style alone. Amazon had favorable reviews, but I wanted to see what headphone enthusiasts have to say. That's when I came across your assessment on these and can't agree more! I like the balanced sound and the feather-light feel on the head (I also agree it needs a little bit more clamping force).

I use my iPhone 4S to listen and have the AMP app from Audyssey. Using the SONY MDR-ZX100 headphone profile makes them sound really good. Songza also utilizes the Audyssey equalizer program. Overall I am happy with the gift and will be using it often.

Keep up the great work!

Steve

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #3,813 of 4,593
Quote:
Hello -

Great reviews of portable headphones!!

My wife gifted the SONY PIIQ MDR-PQ2 in Black/Neon Green for Christmas. She knows I like headphones/IEMs and recently started liking the neon green trim on backpacks/shoes; so she got it for me for the style alone. Amazon had favorable reviews, but I wanted to see what headphone enthusiasts have to say. That's when I came across your assessment on these and can't agree more! I like the balanced sound and the feather-light feel on the head (I also agree it needs a little bit more clamping force).

I use my iPhone 4S to listen and have the AMP app from Audyssey. Using the SONY MDR-ZX100 headphone profile makes them sound really good. Songza also utilizes the Audyssey equalizer program. Overall I am happy with the gift and will be using it often.

Keep up the great work!

Steve

I wouldn't be too surprised if the PQ2 and ZX100 shared components. The PQ2 seem to have been discontinued now but Sony seems to be moving in the right direction sound-wise. Glad you like them! 

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #3,815 of 4,593
Joker...have you heard the Philips Downtown?
iv'e read great reviews about them both from Tyll Hertsens (of InnerFidelity)
and Cnet.com, so i bought them... but i'm ever so slightly dissapointed...
my IEM's of the same price range and below just sound better.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #3,816 of 4,593
I saw the downtown for $30 the other day (new) and I know that's a great price, I just don't really need them. Are they really that nice?

I was tempted to pick up the pair and sell them on here, but I know that's a no-no. I know there are probably some folks that would love them. If there is a moderator around, would it be okay if I did that for someone and sold them for exactly what it cost me (+ shipping)?

The same store also had some Citiscape Metros (I think) for ~$20.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #3,820 of 4,593
Quote:
You might want to redo the price of Crossfade LP's its often 110 bucks now and can be easily snagged for 70-80 bucks.

Thanks. Is the $110 a stable price? Don't want to have to change it back in a week or two.

Quote:
Joker...have you heard the Philips Downtown?
iv'e read great reviews about them both from Tyll Hertsens (of InnerFidelity)
and Cnet.com, so i bought them... but i'm ever so slightly dissapointed...
my IEM's of the same price range and below just sound better.

Have not heard any of the new Philips cans. Tyll was impressed with some of the new-for-2013 offerings from them as well.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #3,821 of 4,593
Tyll says the Philips Downtowns have strong bass but i can hardly
hear any bass... i dont get it :|
i mean when Joker says the id America Sparks are bassy, i can totally understand
what he's talking about... same thing about the Klipsch S4...
i wish the Downtown had a stronger clamping force, if i push it against
my ears the sound is deeper but i just dont understand the excitement about these phones.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #3,822 of 4,593
Well you're comparing headphones with boosted bass to the downtowns which have a kinda flat bass response. Yes, its bass response has great extension, but it's not really boosted.

The problem with the IF review is that it describes the bass response as very good, good impact and extension. You could easily mistake that as strong (boosted) bass, which it doesn't have.
Did you take a look at the measurements? Imo they're easier to decipher than subjective reviews.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #3,824 of 4,593
Looking forward to your next review, ljokerl! With so many new closed portables out there, I think this is the single thread i'm looking forward to seeing updated the most! 

(Besides, trying them out myself is expensive. I like it much more when you do it for us! :)

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #3,825 of 4,593
Quote:

Thanks. Is the $110 a stable price? Don't want to have to change it back in a week or two.

yeah they've been 110ish for a while. It looks like they've stabilized between 80-120 bucks for about 3 months now.
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone-Gunmetal/product/B003BYRGKY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back