Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Dec 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #3,766 of 4,593
Thank you!

One more question: I just discovered AKG K 450 (they cost $90 here, which is a bit too much for me...but still).
Do you think they are better than Soundmagic P30? In any aspect. And if yes, is it worth additional $15?

(By the way, I like to travel, so the hard case of K 450 looks pretty good. But, still, if it's worth it...).

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #3,768 of 4,593
Quote:
Thank you!

One more question: I just discovered AKG K 450 (they cost $90 here, which is a bit too much for me...but still).
Do you think they are better than Soundmagic P30? In any aspect. And if yes, is it worth additional $15?

(By the way, I like to travel, so the hard case of K 450 looks pretty good. But, still, if it's worth it...).

Not a clue. I have the Q460 and think it's a little better than the P30 but it's double the price here.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3,769 of 4,593
I just got rid of all my IEMs, and with the money (and then some), got a pair of DT1350s and a E5. Thanks for the reviews. I am done with IEMs. Every IEM I've heard has had this weird, grainy, peaky-ness in the highs, it's really bugged me. Even the GR04, which I loved had it to a very slight degree. The GR02 has it. Honestly, the MH1C is about the only IEM that doesn't have it, that I've heard, but that's probably got more to do with it's overwhelming lack of treble. For now, the MH1C and SHE3580 (hot pink for $5, no less) will suffice, they don't sound spectacular, but will do just fine for the gym.

The DT1350 sounds spectacular, I dig it. I'm not giving up my Magnumed SR325s or anything for at home use, but on the go, the DT1350 really satisfies.

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #3,770 of 4,593
i have read this roundup for about 50 times yet, but still cannot find the best portable set in regards of pin point accurate positioning, soundstage depth, layering and imaging. which would you say, does the best job in these topics?

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #3,771 of 4,593
None of them are gonna compare in that regard with a set of full size open headphones... So if you're choosing from the portables here you're always gonna be making a compromise, i.e. best soundstage imaging at X size for Y price. (and the priciest ones aren't necessarily better at it obviously)

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #3,773 of 4,593
Ok, so how portable and at what price? And how much of a priority is that? For instance, the M-80 have more depth than the HD25-1 ii but I don't think either one would rank amongst the top three in that regard, even tho they're some of the best portables overall.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #3,775 of 4,593
Quote:
I don't know what a tiesto is, but the K67 is pretty, as is the K619!

AKG makes some of the best looking cans around (in my humble opinion)

biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #3,777 of 4,593
already owned the m80 and it did not impress me much. it also had too little isolation to it. i would go up to 350$ dt770 might not be portable enough. 

I wasn't recommending it for it's sound stage (kind of the opposite actually), I'm just saying you're being a bit vague about your requirements outside of that one point you had mentioned... Now you've brought up a need for isolation, which narrows the list down, except isolation and sound stage depth often run counter to each other (particularly amongst smaller portables)...

The DT 770 aren't huge if you don't mind wearing full size around-the-ears in public, and they might be up your alley if you don't mind the bass... The headband's very compact but the cups are quite big, in a bag they'd easily take up as much space as 10 or so DVD boxes (arranged in a rectangle, 5 deep x 2 across) or like a pair of boots.

In a case they'd easily eat up 2/3rds of a carry on... I've seen people walking around with them, probably not the best idea for travel tho.

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #3,779 of 4,593
I suck at size analogies/comparisons... :p

But yeah, they aren't really portable unless you're pretty hardcore or you're just gonna wear them the whole time, they wouldn't be comfortable around the neck either (in the way that something like the M80 or DT 1350 can be).

They're relatively compact for full size circumaural headphones tho, models with oval cups are often bigger, as well as stuff with wider/taller designs like AT AD's or AKG K7xx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back