Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Nov 20, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #3,646 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi Ljokerl,
I was wonering what you think about the Aurvana Live in a direct comparison with the panasonic RP-HTF600-S. Their build quality, comfort and isolation seem to be more or less on par. I was wondering how you would compare the sound of the two? I know the aurvana scores higher here but just wondering about a direct compare?
Thanks in advance
Greetins, Anouk,

JVC S400 sounds better than the HTF, better construction and quality, for less than $30.
Check this thread.   http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-30mm-carbon-nanotubes

If you want an bigger upgrade:  S500

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #3,647 of 4,593
What a fantastic, gripping review thread. Two of my current sets were reviewed.

I discovered the Panasonic HTX7s after being lured in by their styling. I wasn't blown away initially, as I found them quite bright for my liking, but burn-in has definitely helped them become my 'serious' listening pair - I'm not brave enough to buy serious headphones as I expect it would be a slippery slope to bankruptcy! They work with all genres, from Brostep to Blues, to metal to pop and I love listening to a core set of around 100 songs that really shine with this pair. One peculiarity I've noticed is, from 'cold', where I've not listened to them for a few weeks, the warmer sound is absent and for around 30-45 minutes they sound a little reserved, but then they warm up and their qualities come back. I most recently noticed this last night, when listening to around 40 songs, the first half were a little underwhelming and then it all clicked and the second half of my listening was bliss.

My other pair are the Sony XB500. Using the older iPod Dock with the line out, the default sound level is a lot higher with this headphone than the Panasonic, so they really are only for listening to bassy music when I'm in the mood - for rock and metal I think they are awful. The way they push bass through your head and sub-bass feelings in your extremities is a lot of fun, but they are a luxury purchase, in the sense that if you could only afford one pair, you'd be letting yourself down by only having these.

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #3,648 of 4,593
Hey Joker, amazing job as always! I've always found your IEM thread very useful but just discovered this one. I'm still looking for that perfect headphone but as much as I'd love to read through every single one of those 105 (and counting) reviews, I can't really afford the time right now :wink:

Based on your experience, are you aware of any sets that you would recommend based on the following critera?

- HUGE sub-bass with lots of rumble and impact - even more than the Velodyne vPulse... there's no such thing as too much! - but without a lot of mid- and upper-bass emphasis
- sweet, sweet upper mids and airy highs with good separation and clarity, like the Shure SRH440
- the portability and standard detachable cable of the Beats Solo
- hopefully around the $100 mark, but would consider paying more for something really amazing :)

Is there anything like that out there???

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #3,649 of 4,593
Quote:
What a fantastic, gripping review thread. Two of my current sets were reviewed.

I discovered the Panasonic HTX7s after being lured in by their styling. I wasn't blown away initially, as I found them quite bright for my liking, but burn-in has definitely helped them become my 'serious' listening pair - I'm not brave enough to buy serious headphones as I expect it would be a slippery slope to bankruptcy! They work with all genres, from Brostep to Blues, to metal to pop and I love listening to a core set of around 100 songs that really shine with this pair. One peculiarity I've noticed is, from 'cold', where I've not listened to them for a few weeks, the warmer sound is absent and for around 30-45 minutes they sound a little reserved, but then they warm up and their qualities come back. I most recently noticed this last night, when listening to around 40 songs, the first half were a little underwhelming and then it all clicked and the second half of my listening was bliss.

My other pair are the Sony XB500. Using the older iPod Dock with the line out, the default sound level is a lot higher with this headphone than the Panasonic, so they really are only for listening to bassy music when I'm in the mood - for rock and metal I think they are awful. The way they push bass through your head and sub-bass feelings in your extremities is a lot of fun, but they are a luxury purchase, in the sense that if you could only afford one pair, you'd be letting yourself down by only having these.

Thanks! Seems like you have a nice variety there with just two headphones
wink.gif

Quote:
Hey Joker, amazing job as always! I've always found your IEM thread very useful but just discovered this one. I'm still looking for that perfect headphone but as much as I'd love to read through every single one of those 105 (and counting) reviews, I can't really afford the time right now :wink:

Based on your experience, are you aware of any sets that you would recommend based on the following critera?

- HUGE sub-bass with lots of rumble and impact - even more than the Velodyne vPulse... there's no such thing as too much! - but without a lot of mid- and upper-bass emphasis
- sweet, sweet upper mids and airy highs with good separation and clarity, like the Shure SRH440
- hopefully around the $100 mark, but would consider paying more for something really amazing :)

I don't know of anything that fits those criteria. You've got to either drop the size requirement or be willing to compromise heavily on the sound.

A few that come to mind are the M-Audio Q-40 (good bass, good clarity, monitor-like mids and highs, and detachable cable but full-size/over-ear form factor) and Klipsch Image One (tons of bass and portable but too bloated and no detachable cables). Closest all things considered might be the AKG K181DJ. It's on-ear but still larger than the Beats Solo. Cable is detachable with a proprietary connector. Bass-heavy sound but good overall.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #3,650 of 4,593
Quote:
I don't know of anything that fits those criteria. You've got to either drop the size requirement or be willing to compromise heavily on the sound.

A few that come to mind are the M-Audio Q-40 (good bass, good clarity, monitor-like mids and highs, and detachable cable but full-size/over-ear form factor) and Klipsch Image One (tons of bass and portable but too bloated and no detachable cables). Closest all things considered might be the AKG K181DJ. It's on-ear but still larger than the Beats Solo. Cable is detachable with a proprietary connector. Bass-heavy sound but good overall.

Thanks for the recommendations! The Klipsch is definitely out - bloated is not what I want - but the M-Audio and AKG sound pretty promising. I'll give them a listen.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #3,651 of 4,593
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations! The Klipsch is definitely out - bloated is not what I want - but the M-Audio and AKG sound pretty promising. I'll give them a listen.

Get the AKG, I own the lower one the 518LE and soud miles better than the Klipsch, I can only asume that the K181 is on another level on everything.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #3,652 of 4,593
I can also vouch for the K181. Great mids, nice bass and highs. Very balanced and good soundstage also. Good isolation as well. If they were slightly smaller I would have probably kept mine. I'm spoiled by the form factor of my HD25.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #3,655 of 4,593
Quote:
Have you given any thought to perhaps reviewing the KRK line? They get excellent reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/t/560605/krk-kns-6400-review-impressive-99-giant-killer

Melbourne Florida!  Still own a place on Cocoa Beach, don't get there often though.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3,656 of 4,593
Quote:
Have you given any thought to perhaps reviewing the KRK line? They get excellent reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/t/560605/krk-kns-6400-review-impressive-99-giant-killer

I have but I haven't had time to pursue them.

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #3,657 of 4,593
V-Moda M-80 were $130 during an Amazon lightning deal earlier... :xf_eek: Almost kicked myself for getting them for $155 earlier this month, but ehh, I had a Prime trial going when I bought them so it would've been more of a $15 difference after shipping to PR. Who would've thought they'd run a deal on such a popular item AFTER BF & Cyber Monday anyway.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #3,658 of 4,593
I truly wish it was possible to add remarks to each individual can's final thoughts. Of course that would be crazy, I can't even begin to imagine the work that would create for mods and admin to keep civil and on topic.  Things like you mentioning the Portapro isn't quite the no brainer it once was. Likewise, the Grado SR80i, while still great for it's price, has fierce competition. I simply can't stop reading the first post, and have bought many of the cans reviewed. I have ( I want to hear that) problems.
beerchug.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #3,659 of 4,593
Quote:

Your criteria are a bit silly but I do believe you'd go bananas over the Beyerdynamic DT770 Anniversary limited edition. Check 'm out! 

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #3,660 of 4,593
Quote:
I truly wish it was possible to add remarks to each individual can's final thoughts. Of course that would be crazy, I can't even begin to imagine the work that would create for mods and admin to keep civil and on topic.  Things like you mentioning the Portapro isn't quite the no brainer it once was. Likewise, the Grado SR80i, while still great for it's price, has fierce competition. I simply can't stop reading the first post, and have bought many of the cans reviewed. I have ( I want to hear that) problems.
beerchug.gif

Ah, some (many?) of the reviews are now quite outdated and some just need to re-written with a more objective perspective. I would gladly open the individual write-ups to commenting if it were possible. I would even like to have a separate score for an average of what everyone else thinks of a particular product. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back