Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Sep 26, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #3,451 of 4,593
Quote:

Sure, the M50 will work great for rap and other modern tunes. I don't think you'll need an amp and you'll be hard-pressed to find a better value at <$150 for clear sound with enhanced bass, at least from what I've heard.

CAL! is easily better for a nice bass-rich sound without too much mid-cut, if you ask me. Aurvana Lives also do sub-bass better. And they're lots cheaper. M50 is so ridiculously V-shaped, that anyone lookin' for even the slightest hint of neutrality in FR should not be happy. And I just cannot understand why these are recommended for studio use (maybe it's the construction?).

And yes, I own both.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #3,453 of 4,593
Quote:
Would love to see the Beyerdynamic DTX501p reviewed. 

Thanks, it's been suggested before. Interesting note - someone mentioned that they look a lot like the Soundmagic P30 and that Soundmagic happens to be an OEM for Beyer as well. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #3,454 of 4,593
My Superlux HD661 arrived a few days ago!

I have to to say that at first impression i am a bit disappointed, probably because i'm not used to headphones.. First thing i notice is that music sounds quite distant (this could be a pro for someone, idk). 

Sound quality is ok, sub bass lacks a bit but the sound signature is supposed to be neutral, and EQing can partially solve the problem.
The problem is that these sound like earbuds to me.. it's not easy to explain, i don't feel the clarity of an IEM. Since i own Vsonic GR99 and GR04, maybe i am used to a warm sound signature while these are more analytical..

BTW, i started the burn in process and probably i'm going to buy a portable amp, just to check the difference.

Anyway, the build quality is very good, they are beautiful, have a fancy package and nice accessories. Also, i don't find them uncomfortable at all and the isolation is great. I'll post my second impression in a few weeks!

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #3,456 of 4,593

Thanks, it's been suggested before. Interesting note - someone mentioned that they look a lot like the Soundmagic P30 and that Soundmagic happens to be an OEM for Beyer as well. 

It's possible, and i don't really know about that, but if they were beyer OEM, would't beyerdynamic have had release the headphones at about the same time or before soundmagic? Or Beyerdynamic also have headphone models that aren't designed/manufactured originally by them?

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #3,457 of 4,593
Quote:
My Superlux HD661 arrived a few days ago!

I have to to say that at first impression i am a bit disappointed, probably because i'm not used to headphones.. First thing i notice is that music sounds quite distant (this could be a pro for someone, idk). 

Sound quality is ok, sub bass lacks a bit but the sound signature is supposed to be neutral, and EQing can partially solve the problem.
The problem is that these sound like earbuds to me.. it's not easy to explain, i don't feel the clarity of an IEM. Since i own Vsonic GR99 and GR04, maybe i am used to a warm sound signature while these are more analytical..

BTW, i started the burn in process and probably i'm going to buy a portable amp, just to check the difference.

Anyway, the build quality is very good, they are beautiful, have a fancy package and nice accessories. Also, i don't find them uncomfortable at all and the isolation is great. I'll post my second impression in a few weeks!

Never heard them but they do look pretty nice. 

Quote:
Fairly new to the forum but I've been reading Head-fi for over 2 years. This is one of my fav post ever! Thanks!

Thanks, glad it's been useful! 

Quote:

It's possible, and i don't really know about that, but if they were beyer OEM, would't beyerdynamic have had release the headphones at about the same time or before soundmagic? Or Beyerdynamic also have headphone models that aren't designed/manufactured originally by them?

Beyer probably has more than one OEM. They've been in business much longer than Soundmagic, too. And no, launch dates don't have to coincide - we've seen this before with UE/Altec Lansing and probably other examples I can't think of right now. I don't really pay much attention to who made what, just thought that was a compelling point on the 501. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #3,458 of 4,593
 now i need some help , what would you be okay with ..
a bit of channel imbalance or a bit flawed sound .

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #3,459 of 4,593
Quote:
 now i need some help , what would you be okay with ..
a bit of channel imbalance or a bit flawed sound .

Interesting question, albeit one with too many variables - really depends on what the flaw is and how big the imbalance. If allowed to play around with a parametric EQ I would probably pick the flawed sound without knowing more.

Also, I'm assuming this is purely hypothetical as channel imbalance is something you should be able to get a warranty replacement for. I know from experience that anything more than an extremely mild channel imbalance will drive me insane after a while. You can actually change L/R balance on many modern players (even the iPod Touch 4G lets you do so with a firmware update) so if the channel imbalance is consistent across frequencies it can be fixable. If the channel imbalance is in a limited part of the frequency spectrum you probably won't be able to fix it but may be able to mask it somewhat.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #3,460 of 4,593
Quote:

Interesting question, albeit one with too many variables - really depends on what the flaw is and how big the imbalance. If allowed to play around with a parametric EQ I would probably pick the flawed sound without knowing more.

Also, I'm assuming this is purely hypothetical as channel imbalance is something you should be able to get a warranty replacement for. I know from experience that anything more than an extremely mild channel imbalance will drive me insane after a while. You can actually change L/R balance on many modern players (even the iPod Touch 4G lets you do so with a firmware update) so if the channel imbalance is consistent across frequencies it can be fixable. If the channel imbalance is in a limited part of the frequency spectrum you probably won't be able to fix it but may be able to mask it somewhat.

thanks , the case is , one phone has the right side can with lower bass volume and it gets annoying after few minutes , it feels like there is no bass in the right side can . l/r balance worked but i dont use it with j3 , and sadly the gogear dont have l/p balance .  the other one is ( same model , both are cheap imports ) with a hollowed sound , the vocal and instruments sounds a bit farther . bass seems to be suppressed and lagging but in bass tracks its feels normal . it feels like its born with a bigger sound stage but its not .

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #3,461 of 4,593
Quote:
Quote:

thanks , the case is , one phone has the right side can with lower bass volume and it gets annoying after few minutes , it feels like there is no bass in the right side can . l/r balance worked but i dont use it with j3 , and sadly the gogear dont have l/p balance .  the other one is ( same model , both are cheap imports ) with a hollowed sound , the vocal and instruments sounds a bit farther . bass seems to be suppressed and lagging but in bass tracks its feels normal . it feels like its born with a bigger sound stage but its not .

I have a hunch there is some short in the one with the bad bass on the right side. Likely an easier fix than the ones that just sound bad.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #3,462 of 4,593
Quote:

The second one you're describing almost sounds like it's out of phase. Check out the test tones here, they make it very easy to tell (esp. the guitar ones).

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #3,463 of 4,593
Quote:

The second one you're describing almost sounds like it's out of phase. Check out the test tones here, they make it very easy to tell (esp. the guitar ones).

is there a cure for that ?

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #3,464 of 4,593
Quote:

thanks for the link man . ko and ok .

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #3,465 of 4,593
Quote:
I have a hunch there is some short in the one with the bad bass on the right side. Likely an easier fix than the ones that just sound bad.

thinking of that , but not feeling good about opening these imports . if it gets broke , i will have to pay the consumer back or may be worse .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back