Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 2, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #3,481 of 4,593
Quote:
[...] but i would like to hear about the philips L1 from you , how does it fit ? heard from a friend that they are not so comfortable , and yeah i under stand comfort is a personal issue , how is the sq , can it take on the hd251-II ? , will get a hands on them as soon as they get officially here .

The earcups and the fit is really comfortable. Only the handband could use a little more cushioning due to the weight of the L1. SQ-wise I would say that they are quite neutral with nice bass. I haven't heard the HD25-II but from what I've read so far I would say that there is a good chance that the L1 as less bass and sounds more open and balanced, than the HD25-II. But that's just educated guessing...

regards.
bearmann

PS: Amazon just told me that the DTX501p is on it's way to me! :D

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #3,482 of 4,593
       i think the stretch will be a good travel companion , and fingers crossed for channel imbalance , dont do this to me god . the new snugs too have reported issues of channel imbalance . now i wonder if it has anything to do with the one sided cable style from philips .

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #3,483 of 4,593
Quote:
       i think the stretch will be a good travel companion , and fingers crossed for channel imbalance , dont do this to me god . the new snugs too have reported issues of channel imbalance . now i wonder if it has anything to do with the one sided cable style from philips .

Probably just poor (or lack of) driver matching. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #3,485 of 4,593
Added the Klipsch Image One

Quote:

(A20) Klipsch Image One: smartphone-oriented portable headphone from Klipsch

Build Quality (7/10): The Image One is a semi-circumaural headphone, with cups that will fit over some ears but not others. It is similar to the Phiaton MS400 in size and construction – mostly plastic, but with a metal inner headband. Unlike the Phiatons, the Image One is not collapsible, and yet its structure somehow feels looser and flimsier. The cabling is a bit above average in thickness but plasticky and kink-prone.

Comfort (7.5/10): The Klipschs are small and lightweight, with soft and supple padding all around. The cup size will be an issue for some – they are definitely not large enough to be considered circumaural. A larger issue is the lack of flexibility to the structure – the flat-folding cups don’t rotate far enough to conform to the ear.

Isolation (7/10): Isolation is decent but not great – the Image One is closed but the odd sizing of the cups and lack of flexibility make it a bit difficult to maintain a seal.

Sound (7/10): It is not unexpected for a company’s first headphone to sound a bit rough around the edges but I was still surprised at the word ‘bloated’ showing up in every single one of my listening impressions with the Image One. The bass of the Klipsch is boosted significantly over the midrange – so much so that I won’t hesitate to call it one of the bassiest portables I’ve heard. Subbass presence is good and overall bass power is immense – not a bad thing in and of itself, but problematic considering the result. The ever-present low end of Image One ends up sounding muddy, bloated, and unrefined. The Bowers & Wilkins P3, with its warm, punchy signature, sounds cleaner and tighter than the Image One and comes across rather well-balanced in comparison. Even the notoriously bassy Denon D1100 – admittedly a much larger headphone – maintains better clarity, a more neutral signature, and lower levels of bass bleed than the Image One. The story is the same with the Audio-Technica ES10, which has nearly as much bass punch but exponentially more control, the V-Moda M-80, the Phiaton MS300, the AKG Q460, and the Sennheiser HD428. In all cases the Image One is simply overwhelmed by its bass and lacks the finesse necessary to compete with other Hi-Fi portables.

The midrange of the Image One is recessed compared to the bass but the sonic image is pushed forward on the whole by the lack of a proper soundstage. There is a lot of bass bleed and the tone is quite warm – warmer, for example, than that of the Denon D1100. Instruments and vocals don’t sound very natural due to the exaggeration of lower frequencies and detail levels are average at best due to the lack of definition.

The recession worsens into the treble – the Image One definitely doesn’t have enough energy up top to balance out the sound. The resulting tonal slant is somewhat dark – more so than the B&W P3 and Denon D1100 – and the Image One seems grainy compared to the silky-smooth V-Moda M-80. Overall realism isn’t helped by the forward and aggressive presentation of the Image One. There’s really not much of a soundstage – both width and depth are below average in the price range and the imaging of both Denon D1100 and V-Moda M-80 sounds nothing short of holographic compared to the Klipsch. Instrument separation, too, is nothing impressive with the bass-heavy Image One.

Value (6/10). (MSRP: $149.99; Street Price: $100) Bass of this magnitude could have set the Image One apart from most other portables if not for its sub-par quality and general obnoxiousness. Pretty much everything is thrown under the train in pursuit of bass impact, resulting in a warm and powerful - but ultimately disappointing - sound. Similarly, the construction is mediocre for the price and the fit lacks flexibility. All in all, I can see merit in the Image One if bass and portability are the only concerns. Otherwise, a Sony XB500 or AKG K81DJ would surely make a better buy.

Manufacturer Specs:
Frequency Response: 16-23,000 Hz
Impedance: 36 Ω
Sensitivity: 110 dB SPL/1mW
Cord: 4.67ft (1.4m); Straight Plug; w/mic and 3-button remote
Space-Saving Mechanism: Flat-folding, case included

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #3,486 of 4,593
I have read this thread for the past two years or so, I can't remember if I bought my AKG 518 LE based on your review Joker, but they are pretty good, I have never write anything because I don't have the time and will to read the whole thread, still your last review make me write this, I did a very short audition of the Klipsch Image One on an office depot, I was using my akg, I also auditioned some tdk, which were nicer in any sense relative to the Klipsch but not quite with the AKG, hearing the klipsch remind me to the beats solo, bloated bass, I have also auditioned the sony XB500 which sound more or less the same (probably more vailed) but are better build and isoleate more, the thing is that I don't think the klipsch deserver a 7/10 in SQ, especially since thats the same note on the AKG and the sony are 5.5/10 or so.

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #3,487 of 4,593
I wonder how Klipsch Reference One compares with Image One in actual listening.
This graph suggests Reference One is even more (sub-)bassy
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3141&graphID[]=3441

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #3,488 of 4,593
Quote:
I have read this thread for the past two years or so, I can't remember if I bought my AKG 518 LE based on your review Joker, but they are pretty good, I have never write anything because I don't have the time and will to read the whole thread, still your last review make me write this, I did a very short audition of the Klipsch Image One on an office depot, I was using my akg, I also auditioned some tdk, which were nicer in any sense relative to the Klipsch but not quite with the AKG, hearing the klipsch remind me to the beats solo, bloated bass, I have also auditioned the sony XB500 which sound more or less the same (probably more vailed) but are better build and isoleate more, the thing is that I don't think the klipsch deserver a 7/10 in SQ, especially since thats the same note on the AKG and the sony are 5.5/10 or so.

I don't think either of those is at a 5.5. I've had the Klipsch Image One for a year and a half or so and it has its merits, just not ones I can appreciate. 

Quote:
I wonder how Klipsch Reference One compares with Image One in actual listening.
This graph suggests Reference One is even more (sub-)bassy
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3141&graphID[]=3441

Wow, how much do I not want to hear that
rolleyes.gif

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #3,490 of 4,593
Quote:
10 db boost is my preferred bass level 
L3000.gif

To each his own - that's one of the things that make this hobby fun. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #3,491 of 4,593
Quote:

I don't think either of those is at a 5.5. I've had the Klipsch Image One for a year and a half or so and it has its merits, just not ones I can appreciate. 

You are right, I made the mistake of writting that the sony are 5.5/10 on your SQ scale, they are 6.5/10, but my point still is that from what I read, you didn't like the Klispch as much as you did with the AKG, I'm not going to say that you are wrong giving them the same SQ value, because in the end it's your point of view and you could rank them both at 10/10, but to me it doesn't make sense that they share the same SQ value when you didn't write anyithing positive about the Klispch, I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say,You are such an excelent contributor here on Head fi, and I don't want to argue with  You about your own thread, just want to make sense out of it.

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #3,492 of 4,593
Hey there,

just got my Beyer DTX501p from the post office today. Didn't get much listening time so far but from the few tracks I threw at the Beyer I am quite impressed. Very good (read: accurate) bass response, extremely good mids (especially for a portable headphone) and quite comfortable. And for a clsed and portable headphone the soundstage is quite impressive, too. So far I couldn't find a serious flaw... will keep you updated, though.

regards.
bearmann

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #3,493 of 4,593
Quote:
Hey there,

just got my Beyer DTX501p from the post office today. Didn't get much listening time so far but from the few tracks I threw at the Beyer I am quite impressed. Very good (read: accurate) bass response, extremely good mids (especially for a portable headphone) and quite comfortable. And for a clsed and portable headphone the soundstage is quite impressive, too. So far I couldn't find a serious flaw... will keep you updated, though.

regards.
bearmann

I see you were using px100, how do you comprate both? Have you tried the px200? I'm very interested in these beyers as well as the jvc s500 and the senns, and look forward to read some impressions,

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #3,494 of 4,593
Quote:
You are right, I made the mistake of writting that the sony are 5.5/10 on your SQ scale, they are 6.5/10, but my point still is that from what I read, you didn't like the Klispch as much as you did with the AKG, I'm not going to say that you are wrong giving them the same SQ value, because in the end it's your point of view and you could rank them both at 10/10, but to me it doesn't make sense that they share the same SQ value when you didn't write anyithing positive about the Klispch, I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say,You are such an excelent contributor here on Head fi, and I don't want to argue with  You about your own thread, just want to make sense out of it.

I had far higher expectations for the Klipsch since it's a much more expensive product (I paid $149.99 for it a little over a year ago), which is why the review reads more negatively. The reviews and final scores (both sound and value) are meant to go hand in hand, along with the final position on the comparison chart. 

Quote:
Hey there,

regards.
bearmann

Sounds good, I was equally pleased with the Soundmagics at their price point. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #3,495 of 4,593
Quote:

I see you were using px100, how do you comprate both? Have you tried the px200? I'm very interested in these beyers as well as the jvc s500 and the senns, and look forward to read some impressions,

Honestly, the PX-100 doesn't stand a chance. The DTX501p is better in every aspect - except in terms of comfort, because I can wear the PX-100 all day long without realizing it. The Beyers bass is significantly more accurate. The mids are better and not recessed. The PX-100 is nice for jogging or as backup cans, but you hear the price difference between the Senn and the Beyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back