Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Sep 19, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #3,436 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi, man! I'd love to read your review about the Brainwavz Hm5!! 

I've posted some short thoughts on the Fischer Audio equivalent (FA-003?) a while ago. It's a neutral-sounding thing, pretty well-balanced. Gets hot after a while. I really don't think it belongs in this thread - it's quite unwieldy. 

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #3,437 of 4,593
Quote:

I've posted some short thoughts on the Fischer Audio equivalent (FA-003?) a while ago. It's a neutral-sounding thing, pretty well-balanced. Gets hot after a while. I really don't think it belongs in this thread - it's quite unwieldy. 

I agree, not so portable is it. However, i think the treble is laid back and far from hot and there is too much mid-bass emphasis for it to be neutral these is not a lot of mid bass emphasis but enough to boost it over neutral!

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #3,438 of 4,593
Quote:

I still enjoy my HD428, which by all accounts are pretty similar to the 448s in sound and form factor. Nice neutral set with a reasonably spacious presentation. You'll like them unless you were attached to the bass of the V6.

the only reason i didn't get them was due to the price not being that different. i guess that could also mean i might have wasted a few extra bucks, though. ha! anyway, i love how balanced they are. i have to take my glasses off when using them, because the pressing against my head hurts but, other than that, excellent purchase. i'm going to have to buy a second set of phones soon for some other tracking purposes, and will definitely buy the HD428s based on this comment. again, much appreciated. 

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #3,439 of 4,593
Quote:
I agree, not so portable is it. However, i think the treble is laid back and far from hot and there is too much mid-bass emphasis for it to be neutral these is not a lot of mid bass emphasis but enough to boost it over neutral!

Hot meaning temperature. They made my head sweat. I am now having the same issue with the AKG K550. 

Quote:
the only reason i didn't get them was due to the price not being that different. i guess that could also mean i might have wasted a few extra bucks, though. ha! anyway, i love how balanced they are. i have to take my glasses off when using them, because the pressing against my head hurts but, other than that, excellent purchase. i'm going to have to buy a second set of phones soon for some other tracking purposes, and will definitely buy the HD428s based on this comment. again, much appreciated. 

If the price is the same I would've probably gone for the HD448 as well. I've been lucky to grab two refurbished HD428s in the past for <$25 each. One went to a friend and I'm still using the second pretty often. If you're buying a second headphone you might get something different just to add variety, a Superlux HD668b, for example. 

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #3,440 of 4,593
THANKS for your job! 

After a long search, I decided buy Audio technica ATHM50. I use to listen Rap and music of the moment (not professional) I love good bass.. I love to listening music in home and to go out. I have between $120 and $160 and I think these are the best I can buy. If I had not find this website and their classification and description on all these headphones, I would have bought some Beats Studio ...

If you believe I do not choose the correct option, please tell me.

Edit: do you recommend me buy a portable ampli to SGS3 - ATHM50?

Sorry for my bad English.

THANKS!

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #3,441 of 4,593
Quote:
THANKS for your job! 

After a long search, I decided buy Audio technica ATHM50. I use to listen Rap and music of the moment (not professional) I love good bass.. I love to listening music in home and to go out. I have between $120 and $160 and I think these are the best I can buy. If I had not find this website and their classification and description on all these headphones, I would have bought some Beats Studio ...

If you believe I do not choose the correct option, please tell me.

Edit: do you recommend me buy a portable ampli to SGS3 - ATHM50?

Sorry for my bad English.

THANKS!

Sure, the M50 will work great for rap and other modern tunes. I don't think you'll need an amp and you'll be hard-pressed to find a better value at <$150 for clear sound with enhanced bass, at least from what I've heard.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #3,442 of 4,593
Thanks!!

Ultimately it cost me 141€, around$185...(around $70 for tax and fees to bring it to Spain... by amazon.com. 

I do not found it cheaper but in others sites cost the same.

Say that I select fast shipping (more expensive).

Thanks

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #3,443 of 4,593
Sep 22, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #3,444 of 4,593
Yes, I looked but put " ready for send it in a week..." and the shipping is standar, I have paid more for bring it fastest. In redcoon cost 137 + 6€ shipment. 143€.. I have paid 142 for shipment in 2-4 bussines days.

Thanks for answering! :D

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #3,445 of 4,593
Quote:
Review for JVC HA-S500 ?

-------

Planned.

I couldn't wait. I made the mistake of finding the below thread, and I got caught up with the hysteria and bought a pair (and the ATH leather pads);
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes

I really love my modded KSC75's and my PX100II's, but really, how could I resist getting the HA-S500 after reading this?:

Quote:
These should not be under your radar, they should over your head man. I am telling you, if you think your SG2 / ksc75 sounds good be prepared to be blown away with this things.

Think, KSC75 with a big beatiful subbass that hits low, fast, clean and detalied. Mids more foward, more sparcle without sounding to treble heavy, details you will never hear froma a koss, man i am telling you, these murders the ksc75 no mercy.

Keep the ksc75 for the price/sound ratio, for 15 bucks its one of the best buys out there, but if you want something WAY better, S500.

For the price, these things are outstanding... Hard no to sound like a jvcfanboy.. But whe all know that whe are not crazy cause whe know how good this things sound.

Lol! Anyway, I'm looking forward to your review of them whenever it comes out 
smile.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #3,450 of 4,593
Quote:
I am intrigued by Bluetooth headphones. Is there anything worthwhile in the <=$200 and <=$50 ranges?

I own a Sennheiser MM400, which is decent all around but not great. If it were a wired headphone, it would barely be on-par with the PX100 and PX200, which are both much cheaper. I've also tried the MEElec AF32, which sounded similar to the MM400 and is much more comfortable but has poorer isolation and didn't seem as well-made, and a bunch of no-name sets by brands like arctic sound and satechi. Those are mostly crap. Price/performance the AF32 seemed like a decent choice but there are tons of other BT sets I haven't tried. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back