Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Sep 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #3,406 of 4,593
M-80 is more balanced with less treble emphasis while the M50 has a pretty big amount of treble emphasis to my ears and slightly recessed mids. Both are good headphones but I personally prefer the M-80. Much more portable, good soundstage and better quality bass, mids and SQ overall. Just my 2 cents.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #3,408 of 4,593
Quote:
M-80 is more balanced with less treble emphasis while the M50 has a pretty big amount of treble emphasis to my ears and slightly recessed mids. Both are good headphones but I personally prefer the M-80. Much more portable, good soundstage and better quality bass, mids and SQ overall. Just my 2 cents.

Which version of the M50 are you talking about?

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #3,409 of 4,593
Quote:
M80 vs M50.
What're the main differences between the two? How do their sound signatures differ? I see you've given the M50 a slightly better value score. Is it better than the M80?

I thought the M-50 has more treble emphasis and less midrange prominence than the M-80 as well as poorer soundstage depth. I agree with roma in giving the edge to the M-80 in all except comfort. 

In terms of value, I think the M50 was still selling for ~$120 when that review was written. If you can afford the V-Modas and don't mind on-ear headphones then by all means go for them.

Quote:
will you be reviewing the Sennheiser Amperior?

I'd like to at some point but don't think it will be in the near future.

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #3,411 of 4,593
I think it'd be cool if you did a review for the Sony MDR ZX300s. I have had a pair for almost a year, I can't get over how good they sound for $30. The only thing I had to do was put little flat foam discs under the ear cushions, over the speaker. They have a pretty bright sound that can be fatiguing unless there is some foam over the driver, which darkens it and makes it non-fatiguing. Out of box, there a very thin see through cover over the driver.

I made a thread a while ago, no one seemed to take interest, but they are truly good for their price, and probably give more expensive models a run for their money.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #3,412 of 4,593
Quote:
I think it'd be cool if you did a review for the Sony MDR ZX300s. I have had a pair for almost a year, I can't get over how good they sound for $30. The only thing I had to do was put little flat foam discs under the ear cushions, over the speaker. They have a pretty bright sound that can be fatiguing unless there is some foam over the driver, which darkens it and makes it non-fatiguing. Out of box, there a very thin see through cover over the driver.

I made a thread a while ago, no one seemed to take interest, but they are truly good for their price, and probably give more expensive models a run for their money.

Older Sony portables seem to be hit or miss but they certainly seem to be improving quickly on the whole. I would probably buy a newer Sony portable sight unseen at this point. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #3,416 of 4,593
I've been using my ATH-M50s for a few day now and I'm very impressed. I don't think I'll buy anything from V-Moda again, especially after returning those nightmarish Crossfade LPs.

Btw, is there any particular reason there are no Ultrasones on this thread?

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #3,417 of 4,593
The V-MODA M-Series (M-80/M-100) is totally different than the LP series (ie much better and aimed at a more audiophile sound). I wouldn't rule them out altogether based on an experience with the LP. Especially since the incoming M-100 is supposed to be comparable to the Ultrasone Sig Pro.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #3,418 of 4,593
Review for JVC HA-S500 ?

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #3,419 of 4,593
Quote:
I've been using my ATH-M50s for a few day now and I'm very impressed. I don't think I'll buy anything from V-Moda again, especially after returning those nightmarish Crossfade LPs.

Btw, is there any particular reason there are no Ultrasones on this thread?

There are three Ultrasones already - the HFI-450, HFI-15G, and Zino. I own four more - the HFI-780, PRO 550, PRO 650, and PRO 750. Haven't had time to review those, though.

Quote:
Review for JVC HA-S500 ?

Planned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back