Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Aug 25, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #3,391 of 4,593
Been reading this thread for at least 5 times per month. lol. This shootout as well as the IEM's reviews have been fantastic and a great resource for a lot of people.

I'm currently eyeing a good headphone that has good midrange and good balance (and something that looks good) and so far I'm set on taking Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A. Based on your review, ESW9 fits my requirements just fine. Any other headphone that you think are "more worth it" than ESW9 for what I'm looking?

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #3,393 of 4,593
i am looking for headphones that fold flat (for hanging around my neck) and do vocals and guitar the way the es7 does. it took a little while to get used to it, but when i actually gave them a chance, the way those cans did vocals sounded like the man was right next to me singing in my ear, and the guitar was lifelike in my opinion. the soundstage was perfect to me. i swore i could reach out and touch the singer when listening to opeth's album "damnation" because he sounded close, but i knew exactly where he was standing. which was a trip on the occasions that they made the singer slowly rotate around the listener.

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #3,394 of 4,593
Ironically the M80 is also on my list but is somewhat 'farther down' than the ESW9 (due to me really liking how ESW9 looks). I rechecked it and found that its cheaper, and more durable than ESW9. And it also looks good.

Thanks.
Quote:
I would recommend looking into the M-80 as well. It sounds very engaging to my ears and the midrange is liquid smooth.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #3,395 of 4,593
Quote:
Been reading this thread for at least 5 times per month. lol. This shootout as well as the IEM's reviews have been fantastic and a great resource for a lot of people.

I'm currently eyeing a good headphone that has good midrange and good balance (and something that looks good) and so far I'm set on taking Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A. Based on your review, ESW9 fits my requirements just fine. Any other headphone that you think are "more worth it" than ESW9 for what I'm looking?

If you like the way it looks better than the competition, I don't see any issues with the ESW9. The mids are nice - maybe not as good as the M-80 but up there - and they don't lack heavily in any other area. Personally I would pick the M-80 over the ESW9 most of the time unless I was after long-term comfort or sparkly treble. 

Quote:
i am looking for headphones that fold flat (for hanging around my neck) and do vocals and guitar the way the es7 does. it took a little while to get used to it, but when i actually gave them a chance, the way those cans did vocals sounded like the man was right next to me singing in my ear, and the guitar was lifelike in my opinion. the soundstage was perfect to me. i swore i could reach out and touch the singer when listening to opeth's album "damnation" because he sounded close, but i knew exactly where he was standing. which was a trip on the occasions that they made the singer slowly rotate around the listener.

The HD25 might do it for you - it's an intimate-sounding headphone overall and crystal clear despite the bass boost, plus it still has that raw, gritty feel of the ES7. It'll put the bass and treble a bit ahead of the midrange but not much more so than the ES7. The ES10 is also reminiscent of the ES7, though more spacious and much more refined. Quite a bit pricier, too. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #3,397 of 4,593
Hey guys, i'm looking for a portable headphone with good isolation for 60-70$ max (50€)..

Are there any good alternatives to JVC HA-M750 and Panasonic RP-HTX7?
Unfortunately i can't find Sony V6 at a good price in any european site..

Also, on Creative's site Aurvana Live are 50€.. are they worth the money even if isolation is mediocre? 

I would like to try headphones to compare them with IEMs, since the differences between the two are hard to describe and i couldn't find a general point of view on which of the two is better.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #3,398 of 4,593
Quote:
Hey guys, i'm looking for a portable headphone with good isolation for 60-70$ max (50€)..

Also, on Creative's site Aurvana Live are 50€.. are they worth the money even if isolation is mediocre? 

I would like to try headphones to compare them with IEMs, since the differences between the two are hard to describe and i couldn't find a general point of view on which of the two is better.

The CAL! is a much better sounding headphone that the JVC HA-M750 or the Panasonic RP-HTX7 (unless you are a basshead and don't mind rolled off highs and veiled mids). Isolation is not great for a closed "over the ear" headphone but not terrible either. They're very comfortable as well.

If you like the Sony V6, try to see if you can find the Superlux HD661, which sounds and looks very similar at about 1/2 the price but sacrifices some comfort.

You might also be able to find a good deal on one of the many versions of the Fischer Audio FA-004, which in Europe include:

Incipio F38
Brainwavz HM3
Ace MP-68
MC Crypt DJ-50
Maxell Retro DJ
(yes, they're all the same headphone)

These have very good sound quality for the money but are not as comfortable as the CAL! But they do isolate better.

If you're not absolutely set on getting circumnaurals (over the ear) and would consider a supra-aural then look into the new Beyerdynamic DTX-501p. I'm reviewing a pair now and they sound great and have amazingly good isolation for an "on the ear" headphone.

All of these headphones have adequate and tight bass, but if you're a die-hard bass lover you might not be impressed.

Good luck

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #3,399 of 4,593

Quote:
The ATH M-50 that is reviewed in this thread is that the earlier model or the rcent model? (soundwise very different)

Should be the first version, that review was written quite a while ago using a used pair.

Quote:

Yes, the CAL is definitely worth 50EUR, more so than the other two, but not if you plan to use them in the subway or somewhere else where isolation might translate directly into sound quality. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #3,400 of 4,593
Thanks guys you were really helpful!

I'm looking for a pair of portable headphones to use on the go (buses, train, street), since i don't use headphones while i'm at home, so yes, isolation is very important and affects sound quality.

However, i've purchased a pair of Superlux HD661 on amazon.. if i don't like them i can always recycle them as a gift for my freinds, since they're probably 10 times better then stock earbuds they are used to lol

That's too bad CAL! lack isolation, everyone agree they have a great SQ for the price but they definitely don't fit my requirements!

Once again thanks guys, this forum had blown my mind away in the last month, and once i decided to ask for help a lot of competent people answered me instantly.
Amazing place, seriously!

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #3,402 of 4,593
Quote:
Thanks guys you were really helpful!

I'm looking for a pair of portable headphones to use on the go (buses, train, street), since i don't use headphones while i'm at home, so yes, isolation is very important and affects sound quality.

However, i've purchased a pair of Superlux HD661 on amazon.. if i don't like them i can always recycle them as a gift for my freinds, since they're probably 10 times better then stock earbuds they are used to lol

That's too bad CAL! lack isolation, everyone agree they have a great SQ for the price but they definitely don't fit my requirements!

Once again thanks guys, this forum had blown my mind away in the last month, and once i decided to ask for help a lot of competent people answered me instantly.
Amazing place, seriously!

Great, I'm glad you found some helpful advice here. The Superlux HD661 (like all Superlux phones) is great value for the money. They sound VERY similar to th Sony V6 and 7506. It is a pretty neutral headphone. My only complaint with them is the headband design which makes it a little hit and miss as far as getting a good fit. Another thing...these headphones benefit from a good burn-in, so give them plenty of hours before judging them. They also benefit from amping. I know you're going to use them as a portable, but you might want to invest in one of the inexpensive portable amps from FiiO. They will really breathe more life into the HD661. Please post your impressions of them when you get them.

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #3,403 of 4,593
Quote:

Should be the first version, that review was written quite a while ago using a used pair.

Time for an update?
popcorn.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #3,404 of 4,593
Quote:
joker, have you heard the Sony MDR 7550?  I understand its mids are more forward compared with EX1000.

Didn't I just answer this in the IEM thread a day or two ago?

Quote:
Time for an update?
popcorn.gif

I don't have a newer M50 or the old one to compare it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back