Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Aug 16, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #3,361 of 4,593
Quote:
For $400, you could go for the very well liked Denons. You could also get some Fostex's and a Thunderpants kit: http://home.comcast.net/~garybutcher/Thunderpants_TP1/Kits.html

Well I don't know any indestructible Denon headphones which has detachable cord and made off metal like V-moda or rubber and good plastic like tma-1 under 400$. Also all Denon models that I saw didn't look comfortable and portable.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #3,362 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi to everyone! I had two pairs of headphones Pioneer SE-MJ5 (broken by shoulder because of bad plastic) and Audio-Technica ES7 (thin cable is dead). So I came to this forum for hints and reviews. I read some and thinking about some models to buy: AiAiAi TMA-1, V-Moda M-80 (maybe I should wait for V-Moda M-100). Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II or Pioneer HDJ-2000. I want indestructible on-go headphones with good all genres sound quality at least better than in my previous headphones, my money limit 400 dollars (maybe I don't know some good headphones).

The HD25-1, M-80, and Beyer DT1350 all come to mind as near-indestructible and very portable headphones. If you prefer something larger, with a circumaural fit, the M-100 may be worth waiting for. I haven't heard the TMA-1 or HDJ-2000. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #3,363 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi to everyone! I had two pairs of headphones Pioneer SE-MJ5 (broken by shoulder because of bad plastic) and Audio-Technica ES7 (thin cable is dead). So I came to this forum for hints and reviews. I read some and thinking about some models to buy: AiAiAi TMA-1, V-Moda M-80 (maybe I should wait for V-Moda M-100). Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II or Pioneer HDJ-2000. I want indestructible on-go headphones with good all genres sound quality at least better than in my previous headphones, my money limit 400 dollars (maybe I don't know some good headphones).

I have owned or heard all those mentioned, and you can check my profile for reviews/comparisons on most of them. In terms of sheer indestructibility, the HD25-1-ii tops the list followed very very closely by TMA-1 then M80. Of those three, I would say the M80 has the most balanced sound, the HD25 is V shaped, and the TMA-1 is bass heavy (or rather, treble deficient) 

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #3,365 of 4,593
Quote:

I have owned or heard all those mentioned, and you can check my profile for reviews/comparisons on most of them. In terms of sheer indestructibility, the HD25-1-ii tops the list followed very very closely by TMA-1 then M80. Of those three, I would say the M80 has the most balanced sound, the HD25 is V shaped, and the TMA-1 is bass heavy (or rather, treble deficient) 

Big thanks for answer. As I can see you have much of headphones experience. So I want to ask which of these headphones best for using with mobile phone (I listen to different music: Industrial, Martial, Ritualz, Ambient, Dark Ambient, Neoclassic, something like [size=small]Lisa Gerrard also post rock and not so often trance)[/size]. HD25 has impedance 70 and I think my LG P920 can't give power for these, TMA-1 as I understand sounding like they look poor and dark. V-moda m80 I think best choice but what do you know about V-moda LP2 and Denon headphones like 

[size=1.7em] Denon AH-D400 and Denon AH-D600?[/size]

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #3,366 of 4,593
Quote:
Big thanks for answer. As I can see you have much of headphones experience. So I want to ask which of these headphones best for using with mobile phone (I listen to different music: Industrial, Martial, Ritualz, Ambient, Dark Ambient, Neoclassic, something like [size=small]Lisa Gerrard also post rock and not so often trance)[/size]. HD25 has impedance 70 and I think my LG P920 can't give power for these, TMA-1 as I understand sounding like they look poor and dark. V-moda m80 I think best choice but what do you know about V-moda LP2 and Denon headphones like 

[size=1.7em] Denon AH-D400 and Denon AH-D600?[/size]

i got the chance to try the AH-D600 today...highs were crazy harsh. Store owner said its cuz theyre new and not totally burnt in...but burning them in cant make THAT much of a difference.

LP2 is good for really intense bassheads. I think M-80 is enough bass for most people...and they sound pretty nice =)

just my thoughts. Im sure Armaegis got more to say =P

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #3,367 of 4,593
I haven't heard either of those Denon models, sorry. 

The HD25 can be driven just fine from a portable player. It might not get crazy loud, but the isolation means you won't have to. The M80 is easier to drive, but doesn't isolate nearly as well. I honestly can't recommend the TMA-1 as the sound is just too murky. 

So choosing between the HD25 or M80... HD25 gives you punch and isolation and understated looks, the M80 gives you style and more neutral sound but only medium isolation.

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #3,368 of 4,593
Quote:
I haven't heard either of those Denon models, sorry. 

The HD25 can be driven just fine from a portable player. It might not get crazy loud, but the isolation means you won't have to. The M80 is easier to drive, but doesn't isolate nearly as well. I honestly can't recommend the TMA-1 as the sound is just too murky. 

So choosing between the HD25 or M80... HD25 gives you punch and isolation and understated looks, the M80 gives you style and more neutral sound but only medium isolation.

Ok. Thanks. It is time for thinking... But wait I've heard that DT1350 even better than HD25? Is it a big difference?

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #3,369 of 4,593
Quote:
Ok. Thanks. It is time for thinking... But wait I've heard that DT1350 even better than HD25? Is it a big difference?

Now that I've had some time with the DT1350s and have owned the HD25s for a long time - I wouldn't call the 1350s better. It depends on what you're looking for. They are more detailed, a bit more neutral (although slightly darker tonally) with more balanced mids but not better IMO. Just a different flavor (much more analytical). They have a very detailed low end but lack the impact that the HD25s have. The M-80s are more engaging than both to my ears.

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #3,372 of 4,593
Quote:
Now that I've had some time with the DT1350s and have owned the HD25s for a long time - I wouldn't call the 1350s better. It depends on what you're looking for. They are more detailed, a bit more neutral (although slightly darker tonally) with more balanced mids but not better IMO. Just a different flavor (much more analytical). They have a very detailed low end but lack the impact that the HD25s have. The M-80s are more engaging than both to my ears.

Do you saying that v-moda m-80 sounding better than T1350s and HD25? Interesting when m-100 will be arrive to shops. Is it have any sense to wait for them or just buy m-80?

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #3,373 of 4,593
It depends on what you want. They all play nicely together in thesame tier IMO. If you want details and a hp that is very true to source - DT1350. If you want a fun aggressive sound - HD25. If you want something smooth, laidback and slightly more spacious - M-80.

Its up to you. I enjoy the M-80 and it's why I plan to pick up the M-100 soon. If you can wait, the M-100, I imagine, would be the better investment.

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3,374 of 4,593
Quote:

V-Moda M-80, Fischer Oldskool 33 1/3, Panasonic HTF-600. Depends on what you like most about the SBs as the M-80 will have a bit less sparkle in the treble, the 33 1/3 will have less bass impact, and the HTF-600 will have a less sweet and prominent midrange. 

Sounds like the M-80s are for me then, at least regarding sound signature. Another thing I love about the SBs is how good they are for picking out individual music componentsand how open they feel. How do these three options compare in that regard?

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #3,375 of 4,593
Quote:
Sounds like the M-80s are for me then, at least regarding sound signature. Another thing I love about the SBs is how good they are for picking out individual music componentsand how open they feel. How do these three options compare in that regard?

None of these have any problems with instrument separation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back