Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Aug 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #3,346 of 4,593
Quote:
        the main trouble i think is that , those are too small in size . it dont fit me at least .

They are very small, but the ear pads seem to form fit so well that they create a great seal. That, and the cups' position on the ear is a pretty good, flat position. They don't angle strangely to push down more on one part than the other.

I swear they almost block as much noise as an old pair of Sony noise canceller's I have laying around.

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #3,347 of 4,593
I'm interested in the Panasonic RP-HTX7's as they are in my price range and also don't look too bad cosmetically. They also seem to have great isolation, something that is a must for me. However, I see that they scored a 6 in sound quality. I was wondering if you could apply the "sunneebear" mod, which is described by user, SunneeBear here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/449350/panasonic-rp-htx7-what-a-suprise. In this mod, he tapes up two of the three holes, which he claims, "Immediately cleaned the bloated bass which brought out the detail and opened up the mids". If you could apply this mod, and see if the score is affected in any way, I would greatly appreciate it. If not, you still have written the best review in all of Head-Fi. Thanks.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #3,348 of 4,593
Is there anything as good as the Audio Techinicas ATH M50s but with a detachable cord and actually good? I just want something with good sound quality, detachable cord, and something that can collapse. I was gonna get the Soul by Ludacris SL300 but I read the sound quality is kinda off and they're overpriced. Something that looks good too cause I plan on wearing these in public :p

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #3,349 of 4,593
Not many phones come with a detachable cord. The old Bose OE did, and the new Bose AE have a detachable cord too.

Just out of curiosity, why is that so important for you? In case the plug shorts out?

And as for good sound and a folding design... PX models or the porta pros. If you don't like the way the porta pros look, maybe try tracking down a black model with the clothed cord. They look real cool. I have two of them!

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #3,351 of 4,593
Usually when the sound cuts out on headphones it's because the connection to the plug shorts out. Both my original PX 200's and my PX 200 II's were shorted out a few weeks ago. I got a guy on here called Soundstige to replace each plug at $15 a piece. Much cheaper than a store in my town was going to charge. The plugs he replaced them with are gold plated and metal jacked...they look really nice too.

So yeah, if it shorts out, doesn't really mean the headphone is dead. You might just need to find someone to replace the plug. IF it's outside of the warranty, might just be the best option.

But I'll admit detachable cords save a lot of hassle.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #3,352 of 4,593
currently looking at the ATH-ES10 but worried about the amount of bass comments say it has. I like extended but not over punchy bass that thumps your head. I listen to all genres including country and am worried about the comments on the recessed mid range. Wonder if i like a lot of vocals that this might not be the best portable closed back for me. Any other suggestions or stick to the ATH-ES10?

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #3,353 of 4,593
Exactly and I don't really like the look of the ATH M50's or the ones you suggested :p For some reason, Celebrity endorsed headphones seem to have looks down but Idk why everyone bashes them online :p My main concerns sounds,comfort, looks, and able to fold along with a detachable chord...the only things i've found with that are the Soul by Ludacris line and Dre Beats line...sorry if I'm being too picky :p

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #3,354 of 4,593
Quote:
Exactly and I don't really like the look of the ATH M50's or the ones you suggested :p For some reason, Celebrity endorsed headphones seem to have looks down but Idk why everyone bashes them online :p My main concerns sounds,comfort, looks, and able to fold along with a detachable chord...the only things i've found with that are the Soul by Ludacris line and Dre Beats line...sorry if I'm being too picky :p

V-moda M-80s are great, small and light, and they have detachable cords on them. They don't fold, but they come with a small hard case to hook on a backpack or something, and they're small enough that they aren't a pain to carry around. They sound great, they look nice, and they are pretty good on comfort. You might not get the same bass that you would get from Beats or consumer cans like those, but it still packs a punch. 

Another note, the m-80s are built like tanks. Mostly metal construction, kevlar cable, they'll last as long as you need them to.
They don't have a u-curve like m50s, but an even bass and midrange (the mids are beautiful, like liquid) and slightly laid back highs. Coming from Q701s, these have a ton of bass, but it still doesn't come close to something like XB700s or beats.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #3,355 of 4,593

Quote:
I'm interested in the Panasonic RP-HTX7's as they are in my price range and also don't look too bad cosmetically. They also seem to have great isolation, something that is a must for me. However, I see that they scored a 6 in sound quality. I was wondering if you could apply the "sunneebear" mod, which is described by user, SunneeBear here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/449350/panasonic-rp-htx7-what-a-suprise. In this mod, he tapes up two of the three holes, which he claims, "Immediately cleaned the bloated bass which brought out the detail and opened up the mids". If you could apply this mod, and see if the score is affected in any way, I would greatly appreciate it. If not, you still have written the best review in all of Head-Fi. Thanks.

Sorry, I don't have them anymore. The HTX7 sounds very good for a cheap around-ear headphone - it's not the most refined thing out there but more than reasonable for the price. I wouldn't hesitate to give them a go if you like the looks.

Quote:
Is there anything as good as the Audio Techinicas ATH M50s but with a detachable cord and actually good? I just want something with good sound quality, detachable cord, and something that can collapse. I was gonna get the Soul by Ludacris SL300 but I read the sound quality is kinda off and they're overpriced. Something that looks good too cause I plan on wearing these in public :p

I haven't tried any of the new (i.e. post-Dre) celebrity cans. 

Quote:
currently looking at the ATH-ES10 but worried about the amount of bass comments say it has. I like extended but not over punchy bass that thumps your head. I listen to all genres including country and am worried about the comments on the recessed mid range. Wonder if i like a lot of vocals that this might not be the best portable closed back for me. Any other suggestions or stick to the ATH-ES10?

The ES10 is a solid all-rounder but if you're worried about overly punchy bass and recessed mids you might want to look at the V-Moda M-80 or Beyer DT1350 instead. 

Quote:
V-moda M-80s are great, small and light, and they have detachable cords on them. They don't fold, but they come with a small hard case to hook on a backpack or something, and they're small enough that they aren't a pain to carry around. They sound great, they look nice, and they are pretty good on comfort. You might not get the same bass that you would get from Beats or consumer cans like those, but it still packs a punch. 

Another note, the m-80s are built like tanks. Mostly metal construction, kevlar cable, they'll last as long as you need them to.
They don't have a u-curve like m50s, but an even bass and midrange (the mids are beautiful, like liquid) and slightly laid back highs. Coming from Q701s, these have a ton of bass, but it still doesn't come close to something like XB700s or beats.

Unfortunately M-80s are most definitely not circumaural, though the upcoming M-100s should be.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #3,356 of 4,593
Ahh, I am not really looking for celebrity cans, just good headphones with a few selected features. How about the V-Moda Crossfade LPs? Are those any good? Circumaural? They've been recommended to me by a friend in the past.

And these upcoming "M-100s", any idea when they come out?

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #3,357 of 4,593
Quote:
Ahh, I am not really looking for celebrity cans, just good headphones with a few selected features. How about the V-Moda Crossfade LPs? Are those any good? Circumaural? They've been recommended to me by a friend in the past.

And these upcoming "M-100s", any idea when they come out?

There's a review of the LP on the front page of this thread. Yes, they are full-size, but I'd rather have the ATH-M50. I have not heard the newer LP2.

There is a long M-100 thread on the forum. If I'm not mistaken the original release was scheduled for summer but it seems to have been pushed back.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #3,358 of 4,593
Quote:

There's a review of the LP on the front page of this thread. Yes, they are full-size, but I'd rather have the ATH-M50. I have not heard the newer LP2.

There is a long M-100 thread on the forum. If I'm not mistaken the original release was scheduled for summer but it seems to have been pushed back.

Ditto.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #3,359 of 4,593
Hi to everyone! I had two pairs of headphones Pioneer SE-MJ5 (broken by shoulder because of bad plastic) and Audio-Technica ES7 (thin cable is dead). So I came to this forum for hints and reviews. I read some and thinking about some models to buy: AiAiAi TMA-1, V-Moda M-80 (maybe I should wait for V-Moda M-100). Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II or Pioneer HDJ-2000. I want indestructible on-go headphones with good all genres sound quality at least better than in my previous headphones, my money limit 400 dollars (maybe I don't know some good headphones).

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #3,360 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi to everyone! I had two pairs of headphones Pioneer SE-MJ5 (broken by shoulder because of bad plastic) and Audio-Technica ES7 (thin cable is dead). So I came to this forum for hints and reviews. I read some and thinking about some models to buy: AiAiAi TMA-1, V-Moda M-80 (maybe I should wait for V-Moda M-100). Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II or Pioneer HDJ-2000. I want indestructible on-go headphones with good all genres sound quality at least better than in my previous headphones, my money limit 400 dollars (maybe I don't know some good headphones).

For $400, you could go for the very well liked Denons. You could also get some Fostex's and a Thunderpants kit: http://home.comcast.net/~garybutcher/Thunderpants_TP1/Kits.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back