Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jun 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #3,226 of 4,593
Have you tried putting standard foams instead of pads on the JVC Flats?  Changes the sound substantially, and in my view, for the better.  Bass is better controlled, mids and much more forward.  Soundstage is slightly smaller, though.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #3,227 of 4,593
Quote:
Joker, have you ever had the chance to hear the second generation of T50p's?

I read the first generation is plagued with fit issues and the second generation has new-style pads?

I haven't even heard the first generation. 

Quote:
Have you tried putting standard foams instead of pads on the JVC Flats?  Changes the sound substantially, and in my view, for the better.  Bass is better controlled, mids and much more forward.  Soundstage is slightly smaller, though.

It's been years since I've owned the flats. Can't remember if I tried other pads or not.

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #3,228 of 4,593
Quote:
I haven't even heard the first generation. 

Ah... I see... 
I've been meaning to ask you another question.

I read that there is a lot of jack issues on the HD25... after a few years, it'll be come loose, and you need to tighten them everyday...
Is this true?
Do you have this issue with your HD25? What's your solution?

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #3,229 of 4,593
Quote:

Ah... I see... 

I read that there is a lot of jack issues on the HD25... after a few years, it'll be come loose, and you need to tighten them everyday...
Is this true?

My HD25 is 3 years old and I haven't had any issues. I am not even sure which jack you are talking about. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #3,230 of 4,593
Quote:

Ah... I see... 

Is this true?

In some instances, the connector part where the wires plug into the cups can come loose. This is really only if an issue if you unplug frequently and/or knock around the cups a lot. For most people, it shouldn't be a problem. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #3,231 of 4,593
Quote:

My HD25 is 3 years old and I haven't had any issues. I am not even sure which jack you are talking about. 

I was talking about the driver cups jack, which Armaegis described.
It's good to know you haven't had any problem!
Do you frequently unplug your jacks?

Quote:

In some instances, the connector part where the wires plug into the cups can come loose. This is really only if an issue if you unplug frequently and/or knock around the cups a lot. For most people, it shouldn't be a problem. 

Yes, this is what I meant.
Many described this problem, and I'm afraid that it'll just get worse over time.

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #3,232 of 4,593
Quote:
Yes, this is what I meant.
Many described this problem, and I'm afraid that it'll just get worse over time.

Frequent unplugging might make the spring clip (inside the cup) loosen. This can be fixed by opening up the capsule and very carefully using a small flat screwdriver to re-align the spring coils. Just stick it in and wiggle/twist a little. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #3,233 of 4,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinn3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's good to know you haven't had any problem!
Do you frequently unplug your jacks?

I only have three cables - stock, HD580, and HD650. I've swapped between them maybe 20-30 times, certainly don't do it every day or even every week.  

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #3,234 of 4,593
This thread is amazing! I can't believe it. I've read it and its reviews, but I still have a little question for you guys.. I have the panasonic HTF600 and it's become my main headphone, I love it. But lately I remember my long gone HD202s and I'd like to try something new from sennheiser, apart from the MX660 earbuds I listen to on the go.

I'm trying to decide between the PX80 (which is the new PX100, only its name has changed according to what I've read), which costs $220 (argentine pesos, not dollars, divide by 4.50 to get the U$S conversion) and the PX100-II which is around $400.

I really like the senn sound signature and the PX100/80 reviews do nothing but praise them. On the other hand, the PX100-II is a mixed bag, some say it's much better and refined than the PX100/80, others say it's a sidegrade.. even a downgrade. I can afford the P80 without problems, but the PX100-IIs would be a stretch, and the reviews don't help at all.

What do you think? Are the IIs extra cost justified? Should I just get the PX80s and be done with it? Thank you very much.

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #3,235 of 4,593
px 80 will do good if you dont want to sell out more money , px 100 II are good , but the double price may not be justified . hope it helped .

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #3,236 of 4,593
Quote:

I only have three cables - stock, HD580, and HD650. I've swapped between them maybe 20-30 times, certainly don't do it every day or even every week.  

Alright then, this is really assuring.
It;s just that I've been reading a lot about loose HD25 jacks... that they need to be tightened every day

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #3,237 of 4,593
Hi Joker,
I was wondering ifyou will be reviewing any of the headphones below, or are they not portable enough to be included?
akg k550 (akgs new closed headphone flagship)
Sony MDR-7506 (closed headphone studio standard)
Ortofon O2
Pioneer HDJ-2000
Klipsch Reference ONE
Thanks in advance for the information,
Greetings, Anouk,

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #3,238 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi Joker,
I was wondering ifyou will be reviewing any of the headphones below, or are they not portable enough to be included?
Ortofon O2
Pioneer HDJ-2000
Klipsch Reference ONE
Greetings, Anouk,

The Sony 7506 is the V6 (or pretty damned close; I've heard/owned both) which is in Joker's review.

I believe the O2 is built on the Ultrasone HFi-450 frame but with different drivers. I have the HFi-450 (though currently with transplanted SFI drivers) and thought it was excellent bang for the buck. 

I have not heard the Klipsh ONE or K550, but of the other three I like the HDJ-2000 the best. I have a review of it in my profile. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #3,239 of 4,593
Quote:
This thread is amazing! I can't believe it. I've read it and its reviews, but I still have a little question for you guys.. I have the panasonic HTF600 and it's become my main headphone, I love it. But lately I remember my long gone HD202s and I'd like to try something new from sennheiser, apart from the MX660 earbuds I listen to on the go.

I'm trying to decide between the PX80 (which is the new PX100, only its name has changed according to what I've read), which costs $220 (argentine pesos, not dollars, divide by 4.50 to get the U$S conversion) and the PX100-II which is around $400.

I really like the senn sound signature and the PX100/80 reviews do nothing but praise them. On the other hand, the PX100-II is a mixed bag, some say it's much better and refined than the PX100/80, others say it's a sidegrade.. even a downgrade. I can afford the P80 without problems, but the PX100-IIs would be a stretch, and the reviews don't help at all.

What do you think? Are the IIs extra cost justified? Should I just get the PX80s and be done with it? Thank you very much.

If the PX80 is indeed the PX100-I, it would be quite difficult to justify paying double for the PX100-II. If you want something with that warm, open, slightly dark sound the PX80 should do just fine.

Quote:
Hi Joker,
Ortofon O2
Pioneer HDJ-2000
Klipsch Reference ONE
Greetings, Anouk,

The 7506 is by all accounts very similar to the MDR-V6 reviewed here and the Reference ONE is supposed to sound the same as the Image ONE, which I do have in for review. No promises on the rest though I would like to get my hands on a K550 someday. I was told that there may be a more portable version of the K550 released down the line (K551?). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back